main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ep. 1 Experiences in SLC

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Darth Blob, Feb 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Blob

Darth Blob Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 1999
    Well, it was a long time ago, now, but I was wondering if the SLCers here would post any fun experiences with the opening of TPM.

I went to the Century 16. I was tehre for the camp out a week before it opened to get tickets. They let people start lining up in the parking lot to the east of the main parking lot. It was a blast. We ended up right by some people who drove in a camper and then showed the entire trilogy on a make-shift screen. They had a video projector and showed it on the side of the camper. It was so cool. When morning came, they moved us over to the sidewalk by the building. As we still had to wait for them to open the tcket booths we waited. Our little group played Star Wars Monopoly.

Oh, the memories. I wonder if the wife will let me do it again for Ep 2.

2. DarthJago

DarthJago Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2000
    Well I didn't camp out or anything, although a couple of my friends did. Well TPM had been out for about 1 or 2 days and me and my friends all planned to not go to the school Lagoon trip, and watch TPM instead. So everyone came over to my house at 7 AM and we played Smash Brothers until the first TPM showing was. We walked to the theater an hour early and were about 15th in line. One of our friends had to leave for a bit because his brother was opening his mission call, but he made it back just before the show started. Me and my friends were like filled with exitement in the theater, and then the movie started to play. Ahhh the memories.

3. Darth Blob

Darth Blob Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 1999
    That sounds like fun. What theater did you go to see it at? I was fortunate enough to still get some of the midnoght tickets. that viewing was an awesome experience. None of the subsequent viewings matched that energy level. I mean, people were cheering the logos as they appeared and everything. Even by the second viewing (which was later that day) the energy level had already dropped some. Not as much cheering, but it was still a blast.

4. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I paid one of my friends to stand in line for me to get my tickets. I went to the 16 theater as well. My friend asked me what time I wanted the tickets at or the date. I really didn't want to see it opening day because I knew it would be crowded and everything, but he got me tickets that day anyway. He couldn't buy all of us the tickets for the 12:30 am showing, besides I didn't want to go that early because I had a dentist appointment that morning at 5:30 so I really didn't feel like only getting a few hours of sleep then going to school for 8 hours so I went at 9:20 that evening. Besides I don't think my parents would want me out that late with my little brother. I thought it was cool, I didn't get a really good look at everything because we were so close to the screen it gave me a headache. I also saw it again that Friday with my sister and her friends, it was soooo much better the second time around. The only problem is though none of them knew what in the heck was going on so I had to explain everything to them. Then after that my friends and I saw it again like four other times durning June and I took my dad for fathers day, I was all decked out in my Episode I garb: shirt, watch and hat. People started to look at me funny though, but I had fun anyway.

5. DarthJago

DarthJago Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2000
    I saw it at the Wynnsong (its by the Provo/Orem border). No there wasn't a lot of cheering as it started although my friends and I were all giving each other big grins and high fives because we were so excited and happy. Some little kid cried when Qui-Gon died. Thats about the only big emotion I saw.

6. Darion_Blade

Darion_Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2001
    I was number #4 in the century 16 line.
    The line acuttaly started in front of the theater. They then said we could not wait so we went across the street, the police cam and told the theater they had to let us wait. They then allowed us on the grounds again and me and a guy #5 sudjested it was just going to get bigger and that we move then line into the back lot.
    It was a great line.
    Darion

7. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999

My friends and I went to Gateway 8 in Bountiful (I have low standards, I know). The cool thing is I didn't have to camp out for tickets. I left school for ten minutes and had three tickets to the opening show. We ended up last in line at the actual movie--there were probably 10-12 of us, so we took up the entire front row. Very fun. I didn't get home yea four/five am. I had a great time.

8. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I was much to lazy. I got tickets without waiting for the old one in Sandy, but I waited a hour to get good seats inside the theater. I did get to skip school that day, no 1200 am for me, I waited for the 1 30 PM show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.