main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ep 3 dvd: Digital Yoda in The Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ChickenBoo, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    And my problem with it wasn't just that it was a puppet as opposed to CGI, but that it was a puppet that looked like that.

With all the stuff they can do, I would have thought they would be able to build a good-working puppet AND make it look like Yoda. [face_plain] Besides, I could have sworn I remember them saying the reason he looked like that was because they were trying to make him look 30 some years younger. Well, as has been mentioned before, a 900-year-old creature isn't going to change that much in a few decades.

So overall, yes, a digital change here is best.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    There is already a long thread in PT about the CG Yoda replacement in TPM. I locked KamiKrazy's thread because it was completely redundant, not because it was from the ROTS DVD. Kami if you ever have a question about one of my modding decisions, you can always PM me and I will be happy to discuss it with you.

Also Sinister's comment here about ROTS material in PT is a bit confusing. Because the ROTS forum is not merged into PT, threads that pertain solely to ROTS belong here. Threads that deal with either the whole PT, or with TPM or AOTC individually, belong in the PT forum. ROTS material can be discussed there when the thread pertains to the PT.

3. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    i am so sick of people saying "lucas is stupid cuz he does this and lucas is stupid cuz he does that" and wt*? "there is no excuse for that"???!!! are you kidding me? they are his movies, you are making sound like they are your movies and that lucas shouldve never touched a star wars movie- in case you forgot, he is also the one that made the OT that we all charish

4. Carnotaur3

Carnotaur3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 2004
    Thanks for proving wakkybinks' statement LOL

As an audience, we have a right to have whatever opinion about Lucas and his decisions on how he makes movies. That's just the way it is. Not everything Lucas does is RIGHT for Star Wars in my opinion. Just because he was the creator, doesn't mean he can't make bad decisions.

5. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Maybe Plo Koon will talk in some of these revised episodes. :D

6. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002

....And you'll probably be one of the first to buy it....

7. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Maybe Plo Koon will talk in some of these revised episodes:D

let's hope not![face_shhh] .

8. BareBodkin

BareBodkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    I knew there were some pics somewhere.

[image=http://tinypic.com/dxbnmc.jpg]

[image=http://tinypic.com/dxbnna.jpg]

9. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    all i know is that they should Absolutely have the revised Yoda on the DVD for the boxset. I have a hard time watching any Yoda scenes in TPM. it is so Terrible and is a distraction from the movie. it's all i see. A crappy non likeness of Yoda.

10. happydudethe3rd

happydudethe3rd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    Which is compounded by how good he looked in AOTC and ROTS. I don't remember it being THAT gigantic of an issue before Eps 2 and 3 came out. But that photo of the digital replacement makes me happy.

11. Evil_Imp

Evil_Imp Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2005
    i do remember being blown away by how Bad it looked. it set a bad tone for the Beginning of the PT. not story wise mind you, but visually.

12. BareBodkin

BareBodkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3094&titulo=Video:+Yoda+Digital+para+el+Episod

Movie clip.

13. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    :eek: that looks way better. i did'nt know there was any footage of it!. very good, they have to put it on the DVD.

14. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Is it just the head that is didgtally replaced or all of it? Huh I hope they do this it looks much better and thanks for the videoclip!

15. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    it's all been changed. look at his robe in the comparison pic. even the chair is different. but nonetheless . a vast improvement. and if Lucas can change Jabba twice to make it better, he owes us this, lol

16. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    oh yeah it has been changed for the better I might add. I hope to see these out soon. I don't mind updates to the films as long as they are for the better.

17. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    I was at a Convention last weekend where Steve Sansweet all but confirmed that Yoda will be replaced in the next re-issue of TPM. When the question was posed, he said something to the effect that the 30th Anniversary sounded like a good opportunity, but he wouldn't absolutely confirm anything. He did show some cool clips.

18. happydudethe3rd

happydudethe3rd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    I would assume they'd replace every shot. I'd be curious to see the replacement when he walks across the room during the scene where Obi-wan is knighted. Every other shot is from the shoulders up except for a couple of long shots of the whole council where you can't make out much detail anyway.

19. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Even know I'm all for the OT being released untouched on DVD, this is the best news I've heard so far. That puppet thing is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, and a horrible continuity error, if people watch them in order in the the AOTC they would be like who's that guy.

20. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Everybody agrees on something? Whoah woah waoh.. LOL

I kinda enjoyed the puppet.. Maybe they should have made the cgi look like the puppet?

Are they going to redo the OT Yoda next? [face_worried]

21. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i agree yoda LOOKS like yoda in those shots, which makes him a whole lot more sympathetic with me, espescially when hes criticising anakin. and no they arent redoing yoda in the OT, leave well enough alone

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think that's probably the one shot in TPM they'd leave alone. Since you don't see his face, and it's the only shot of Yoda in the film that actually was original CGI, I reckon it'll stay in.

I did't like the TPM Yoda puppet much but it wasn't a big issue with me. But now I get to see those comparison pics, the new version is far superior.

23. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    i can only hope that if yoda is changed that other things will be also. this goes to show that lucas will continue to enhance his films until he is completely satisfied. i'm all for it.

24. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003

People keep saying that the Yoda puppet in TPM doesn't look like Yoda...

...but if that puppet showed up as a new character on STAR TREK, everyone would be saying "HEY! THAT'S YODA!"

You know it's true.;)

25. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I did not mind the TPM puppet Yoda much when I first viewed TPM. But after ATOC and ROTS and now seeing this clip I am all for making the change. And even though I am not one to keep buying every version of the SW movies, I WILL buy another TPM dvd if this change is made. The new Yoda looks fantastic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.