main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT EP III novel did a better job on Anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 5, 2013.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I never got that. Lee just sat and stared (like Maul in TPM funnily enough) while Anakin's debating with himself, if I was him I'd be yelling for my life that Palps was the other Sith etc. In the book I believe it happens a lot quicker.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He was shocked by Palpatine's betrayal, and there is no way Anakin would believe him.

However I think it would be even better if like the old script, Palpatine told Anakin Dooku was behind Shmi's death.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm glad they didn't go that route. It's much better to have Shmi's death as a completely random event that Palpatine used to his advantage. Palpatine is obviously brilliant but no need to make him an omniscient Villain Stu.

kainee likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well Shmi's death is a very important part of Anakin's downfall, it makes sense if Palpatine was behind it.

5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I tried to read the novel but I couldn't stand the writing style. I skimmed through it and thought the movie handled most events much better. Anakin's jealousy of Padme was especially too over the top and cliched, I was happy Lucas cut it from the movie. The editors should have removed it from the book if they had time to do it.

I admit I'd like to guess the character's thoughts and motivations myself rather than always being told explicitly. That's one of the things I love about Star Wars - Lucas is sometimes more subtle than his critics give him credit for. Even the bad dialogue usually has some kind of underlying message.

kainee and oierem like this.
  6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Especially since Vader only looks and sounds badass but he never acts like one (i.e. he never takes on equal or stronger opponents(s). Maul (and even Dooku) is more badass than he. Vader in ANH/TESB acts like a school bully who terrorizes little kids who can't stand up to him. 9 year old Ani is more heroic than "cool" Vader.

kainee likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure, but is the story supposed to be "this can happen to anyone; we all have darkness inside us; don't let your fear overwhelm you"? Or, "no worries, the only reason this happened to Anakin is because the Sith Master had his eye on him and orchestrated every event that led to his fall"? I say the former.

kainee likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Palpatine had kept his eye on Anakin since EP I, Shmi is the most important person to him before he fall in love with Padme. It does not make much sense if he didn't have a plan to take Shmi away to let Anakin walk into the path of the Dark Side.

9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think one thing that the novel does better than the film is show the barrage of problems going on in Anakin's life that is making his world collapse in on him. His entire life is crumbling down:
    -His worries about Padme's impending death
    -His mistrust/mistreatment of/from the Jedi Council
    -His pressure from the role as the "hero with no fear"
    -Being used as a political pawn between the Jedi and the Chancellor
    -His suspicion of Padme betraying him
    -his deteriorating relationships with Obi-Wan and Padme
    At some points in the novel he realizes his only escape from the torture of his day-to-day life is to return to the front-lines, which no one will allow him to do.

In the movie you don't really see all these nuances that truly make you feel sorry for Anakin's character, and it's easy to say, "wow he's stupid he had so many other options". All the movie really shows you is that he was afraid his wife was going to die and he chose the most evil way to save her...but there was a lot more than that going on.

10. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I also liked Padme's line in the novel (complete with voice breaking); "Anakin, what have you done?" over, "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!"

mes520 and ILNP like this.
  11. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    That whole scene in the the novel I preferred.

mes520 and ILNP like this.
  12. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    The novelisation has its advantages and disadvantages. Film and books are such different media that there will always be debate, as there is when books are adapted for the screen.

A book can give background information and context that wouldn't work out on screen but it also relies a lot on the interpretation of the author. As each member of the audience will have his/her own ideas about what is going on in the character's minds, the novelisation may jar with their own interpretation. Personally, I liked some bits (fight with Dooku, portayal of Obi-Wan, reasoning behind the Council's actions, scenes with Bail and Mon Mothma) but didn't like others (Anakin's jealousy about Padme, some parts of the Mustafar scene, changes to certain lines of dialogue etc).

An added complication here is the inclusion of scenes that were left out of the movie. Some of them put a different twist on the events as seen on screen. For me, the answer is to consider them as two different versions of the same story and to enjoy each of them for what they are.

FARK2005, kainee and Valairy Scot like this.
  13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    One of my biggest problems with the novel (much as I love it) is so much of the book is devoted to the opening scenes of the movie, much to the detriment of the film's climax - it was roughly 1-1/2 pages on Mustafar, wasn't it?

As far as the "other stuff" like Padme's wanting to bring Obi-Wan "aboard," etc. I think some of this was either the author's misinterpretation of what GL wanted, or in some cases, GL changed his mind (as he did about the "love triangle" that Palps tried to insinuate existed).

The fight with Dooku was so much better in the novel (deliberately "faking out" Dooku with styles not their own), yes, as well as all the stress on Anakin.

kainee likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The novel version of the Mustafar scene is good, especially Anakin's conversation with Padme is a lot better than the move version, just the battle was not described much.

15. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Funnily enough, that's one of the things I like about the book, probably because that's my favourite part of the film. What can I say - I just love the banter between the two 'boys' [face_tee_hee]

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I don't dislike the amount of space, I dislike that it is at the expense of some other very important stuff.

17. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah, I see. Maybe they should have made the book longer - I wouldn't object to that!

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    As it should be. And we should thank Christopher Lee for that, because he was the one who requested that. It was not in Dooku's character to beg for mercy or expose his master. The way it was shown in the movie only makes the character stronger.

Eryndil and kainee like this.
  19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

You thought so? I never really liked the novelization of "REVENGE OF THE SITH". I never cared for the writer's style. And he had a bad habit of idealizing certain characters, while even pointing out their flaws. I just didn't like it.

20. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I say the latter one/the latter option.

An evil tyrannical dictator trying to lure a certain, a talented, gifted, young Jedi altruistic soldier onto his side in order to becoming his brutal, right-hand-man, second-in command general of a dictator, a fictional analogy to what Heinrich Himmler was to Adolf Hitler, does sound a lot like somebody, an evil political mastermind, has orchestrated every event that led to his fall, the fall of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader!!!! I do not understand-your opinion, exactly, anakinfansince1983. Can becoming the Second-in Command-General/the right hand man/the dictator of an evil dictator be something that can happen to anybody, and that the little darkness that we have inside of us and our fear overwhelming us can lead us over to that???? I must politely state/i must politley say that I do disagree with you, anakinfansince1983!!!!!