main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Ep III opinions?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by crfields, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crfields

crfields Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I hope this topic wasnt started already, sorry if it was.

First off, i loved it, it was a great action flick =)
    but, i was dissappointed in a few things...(I know, I know,... Lucas can't make everyone happy! =P )

1. Thing i wish the most, just as Ep II, is that the jedi were shown as strong as they are pertrayed, like in the cartoons. In the films, alot of jedi dies too easy. In this film, I wish we could have seen Ki-Adi-Mundi, Aayla secura, Plo-Koon (sp??), and the other jedi, take out hundreds of clone troopers and droids troops before dying, like useing the force to push waves of troops down, etc. Also, I would have loved to see Kit Fisto and the others last a little longer agaisnt palpatine.

2. I wish when anakin took out all the jedi in temple, he would have left his blue lightsaber there, so that when Obi wan found it, he would have known what happened. then i wish they would have shown anakin making his new red saber, because they have never shown that. And that way, we could have seen anakin fighting with a red lightsaber, and that last fight scene would have been easier to watch.

3. I wish Obi-wan would have tried to save anakin at the end. either by trying to pick him up or pull him to safety, and then palpatine could have flown in and forced obiwan back with firepower from his ship, or the fire that consumed anakin could have pushed obiwan back. I wish he didnt just leave him there, i dont think you would do that to your best friend. seemed like lucas didnt really think about that too hard.

4. I wish we could have seen Vader, in the suit, fighting. =)

again, i loved the film, i just wish things would have happened alittle different.

one more question? I have seen the movie 4 times now, and Mace jumps out the window, he is not forced out. so... is he dead?

i think it would be cool to have him in the tv series and then have vader finally kill him in another graet lightsaber duel. highly doubt that would happen though.

2. TalusSarn

TalusSarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2005
    Well, I love the movie, and it was my favorite of the entire Star Wars series, and one of my favorite all time movies.

For a day or two after the film, I hung out on the various forums discussing the movie, and was really disappointed to see Star Wars fans complaining about the movie so much. I noticed that almost every complaint started with something like this: "I was expecting..", "I thought XX was going to happen," or, "I heard XX was going to be in it."

For me, I had no expectations except that it would tie the first two to the last three, and show us the creation of Vader. Beyond that, I didn't have any preconceived ideas of how Lucas should do it. I left it up to him, and opened my mind to enjoy his vision. But I think that a large number of Star Wars fans, had prewritten Episode III in their heads, and then sat there watching it and comparing it to how they would have done it, and I think that just set them up for disappointment.

To be honest, I've been so sad to see all the complaints that I stopped hanging out on the forums. I feel like many people missed out on a wonderful opportunity to enjoy a great film, if they had just let go and gone along for the ride.

I've been reading all the supposed plot holes, and I think many of them are contrived simply to have something to complain about.

As for Mace, my seven year old son brought that very idea up to me right after the movie. I had just assumed he was dead, but you have to wonder the way it was done, if Lucas was leaving a door open. Certainly, if you look at Episode II with Anakin and ObiWan flying around the city in midair while chasing that bounty hunter who tried to assasinate Padme, then its possible that Mace was able to land safely somewhere and perhaps go into hiding as well. Or perhaps be unconscious until long after Yoda and ObiWan disappeared. Even if he doesn't appear in TV (because he'd probably cost to much) I'd at least like to see him in some graphic novels.

Personally, if I were in Obi Wans shoes at the end I would have had the same exact reaction. Yes at one time he was your best friend, but, he had ruined all that Obi Wan had believed in, thus his speech about "You were the chosen one!". He was as hurt as hurt gets. How could you still be friends with him after he had killed so many people, and helped wipe out all the Jedis? Certainly a lot of friendships in real life are ended over far smaller things, and how many marriages end as well?

3. crfields

crfields Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, i was kinda thinking that too about obiwan leaving anakin to die. But, since he had one arm and no legs left, it would have been nice to see him try to help, just to show how good obiwan was, and maybe more dramatic, hehe.

Dont get me wrong, I loved the film =)

4. TalusSarn

Apr 16, 2005
    Anakin's lucky that obi wan didn't let anger take control, or Obi Wan would have forced pushed his sorry butt into the lava and ended it all.

:)

5. TalusSarn

Apr 16, 2005
    Not to beat a dead horse (or a disarmed and dislegged horse), but also remember that Yoda sent Obi Wan to kill Anakin, not to try and turn him back. So saving him would have been disobeying what was left of the Jedi Council. If yoda tells you to do something, you do it!

6. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    I liked it, it is my favorite OF THE NEW MOVIES. Visually I still like the originals best. The combination of pupetry, claymation, AND CGI gave the old movies a more realistic feel. The new ones are all done 100% CG and to me, no matter how good it looks, it still doesnt look "real" enough.
    As for Mace, I hate to spoil this for everyone, but he is dead. The script says so and so did Sammy Jackson in an interview where he mentions that "at least he doesnt go out like a punk" although I would argue that too.
    I had no expectations for the movie, I stayed away from spoilers and suposed "scripts" floating around, and just enjoyed the story as it came.
    Later

7. TalusSarn

Apr 16, 2005
    While I certainly won't hold my breath for Mace to come back, and it won't bother me if he doesn't. Although Jackson said he died, I still don't think that means Lucas has to be held to that. Lucas didn't tell anyone that Darth was Luke's father either. Its possible Jackson just assumed he died, and its even possible he didn't despite what the script said.

But, until that should occur, I'll assume he's dead.

8. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    I loved the movie too. The look was breathtaking, but I am sorry to say that I prefer substance over style. There are many things that could have been better, but that again gives opportunity for fanfilm and graphic novels to expand. Our imaginations are stimulated and that is one of the most important facets of sci-fi...to stimulate the imagination and let our own minds fill in the blanks.

9. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    I have to say I honestly thought the film was utter crap.
    No other real way to put it.
    Especially for those who read the novel, the film was just like a picture in that it was pretty at times but had no depth at all.
    Ian's acting was horridly over the top and lost all of the menace that Palps and Sids had in the OT and in the first to PT films.
    It left far too many things wide open which is just horrid.
    Mace is dead, deal with it and get over it.
    Unfortunately due to sloppy film making there will always be fans trying to say that he is alive somewhere on a hidden planet.

They didn't even touch the founding of the rebellion, which is one of the key points in the saga that many were waiting for and Padme's involvement.

I will not even get into the utter crap that is the whole Plageaus and the whole "did he create Anakin" "Did Palps use Plageaus power to create Anakin" and the other crap that it inspired.

Or the way it just dropped you into things, like one moment Yoda and Obi Wan are in Bail's ship the next in the middle of a firefight.
    Those who read the novel have to appreciate it more.

The great space battle that was hyped up again looked neat but was pretty meaningless and really had no build up at all.

Hayden's line delivery was just unforgivable especially on Mustafar.
    The only time he was "on" was during the duel and right after.

The scene with Vader breaking the chains had to be the biggest stab in the eye out of the entire thing.
    Fan films have better production values.

I guess wookies just have Yoda sized escape pods littered around their landscape just in case because no wookie would have ever fit into that.

All of the jedi's died like punks (Mundi's wasn't too bad) but the rest were horrid (of course Lucas brat gets to go out fighting).

The droids sounded retarded, the buzz droids spoke Jawa, Grievous was horrible.
    Obi Wan just appears with Boga somehow.
    And the "oh by the way, I learned something I will teach you too" at the end in reference to the force ghost mystery and Qui Gonn was another thing that deserved at least a little more time.

There are countless other peeves of mine from the film but alas I am at work and do not want to spend my whole break on it.

10. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Shocking... Mace!? DEAD!? Can it be? I just dontknow if i can deal with it ;)

onward... (to boredom and retarded people calling me.)

11. Xyber_Hex

Jan 3, 2004
    Mace jumps out the window, he is not forced out. so... is he dead?

Mace is blown out the window completely by the lightning.
    If Mace jumped they would have followed him.

12. codemaker

codemaker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2003
    I think Lucas should've had Padme accidently killed by the Jedi so that Vader would HATE them. The whole reason he turned was to keep her from dying. Heck, Vader should've killed Palps at the end after Palps tells him that he had killed her.

13. TalusSarn

Apr 16, 2005
    I think he hated the jedi enough for trying to stop the man he most respected and needed, Senator Palpatine. The reason he finally turns on the Jedi is because they are indirectly killing Padme in Anakins view. They didn't need to actually kill her to drive him to the dark. Not to the mention the fact that Lucas clearly showed us in #2 that Anakin was already walking the line of the Dark Side. It just took seeing the Jedi threaten the man that could save Padme and he flipped completely.

I'm not sure why Anakin would want to kill Palpatine for Padme's death. It was Anakin's fault not Palpatine's. Anaking screwed up, and that's just going to make him even agrier (which is why Palpatine told him), and thus turn him even more to the dark side.

14. codemaker

Nov 24, 2003
    Remember, Palps lured Ani to the dark side by convincing him he could learn to save his wife from dying, unlike his mother.

15. TalusSarn

Apr 16, 2005
    Right, and I assumed Anakin still believe that Palpatine would have helped him save Padme, had anakin not screwed up and killed her. I believe that anakin now believe she did not die in childbirth as his vision foresaw, but instead she died before childbirth. Thus, the time never even came when he was expecting to change the vision, but instead he killed her when he lost his cool and choked her to death.

16. crfields

crfields Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Wow, Xyber-Hex, sounds like if yoda himself jumped out of the screen and landed in your lap, you still wouldnt be happy, =P

just teasin

17. Xyber_Hex

Jan 3, 2004
    Maybe if it was Aayla or Luminara....

18. SithFan1977

SithFan1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    cyber, how could you possibly call this movie horrid?
    i myself see problems with it, but to come and say that it sucked is almost impossible! the lightsaber fights alone brought enough weight to make up for it's shortcomings. what was truly done well was fleshing out anakins and obi-wans bond, which made his betrayal even more heartbreaking. that sets the scene for their next encounter. this movie was about HOW & WHY it happened, and if you want to critize this movie to that extent, then why call yoursel a fan?

19. Jedijace007

Oct 3, 2002
    yeah "cyber", just HOW can you call 'yourSEL' a fan?

shame shame. :(

onward

20. Jedijace007

Oct 3, 2002
    **Ding!!!**

(ya know, the sound you hear Right before the match begins)

21. Xyber_Hex

Jan 3, 2004
    Interesting, I was not aware that being a fan meant you had to be some pavlovian zealot.
    Also great to know that a few lightsaber battles makes a great conclusion to the Star Wars saga for you spanky but for some of us it takes more than an actor twirling around in front of a green screen to get our Jawa's juicy.

The Obi and Anakin relationship fleshed out?
    If it was not for reading Labyrinth of Evil before the film and listening to the audio novel weeks before the movie I would never have bought into it.

The movie came off as half assed rubbish to me, no more no less.
    Perhaps that was because I did have access to the novel early and it filled in many of the holes and dove into many of the mindsets involved in ways the film didn't even touch.
    Why didnt Dooku rat out Sids at the end, what did he think the plan really was?
    Why was it so important for Anakin to become a master in his own mind?
    What part did Padme have in forming the rebellion?
    There are countless other details.
    The movie was style, not substance.

I swear Lucas can take a crap and there would be a legion of fans ready to dive right in and swear that every little piece of corn had some deep hidden meaning.

The saddest part is, the film wrote itself if only he would have let it.
    The forming of the rebellion, the fall of the jedi, the jedi slaughter, the descent of Anakin into Darkness, the reveal of Darth Sidious, the beginnings of the deathstar, the birth of the empire, the story of the lovers, the children, the death of padme, the birth of vader, the confrontation of yoda and sids, the wisdom of Qui Gon.
    How many fan film makers get wood just thinking of the visions that have always flooded our heads of these events?

Not only did some of these things not get near the treatment they should have, but then Lucas goes and even THINKS about bastardizing things by having Han as a child on the planet of wookies being raised like some tarzan wannabe? (Nice freaking tarzan yell too from the swinging wookie, must be something only true fans thought was funny...), and then he also considers totally raping the memory of the OT by considering making Palpatine responsible for creating Anakin?
    Thankfully someone talked him out of both and they are relegated to the could have been side notes in the making of book, but the fact that the thought was there is bad enough.

In my opinion the OT had immeasurable more heart and soul then this , and it is only because of that that the PT is salvagable.
    Do you think it is chance that Lucas pushed so many cameos and mirros into the pt?
    He knows that we love these characters and have grown up with them.
    They were icons and real people, not one dimensional fluff.
    If it was not for the path that came before and the life saving intervention of some high spots this would be right on the shelf in a year next to Warriors of Virtue.

Now there were some good points...
    Ewan was magic, Natalie came into her own and made me care, Jimmy as Bail will go down being very underrated and under appreciated when he was great in what role he had. Temura did a fine job, even though 98% of the time he was relegated to crappy cgi, and Chris Lee again stands as a legend.
    The final duel was quite good , the athleticism and heart in it showed and came through, and though the lava looked like something out of a turbo grafix 16 game I managed to tell my mind that it was not lava , it was a molten alien landscape and it did the trick.

Unfortunately not enough to save the film in my eyes.
    Perhaps another film, perhaps if it were ep 1 or ep 2 but it wasn't.
    This was episode III, this was the one to tie it all together.
    This was to be the one ring of cinema and instead it came off as something from Home Shopping.
    If anyone has not read or listened to the novel I do urge you to do so, and though it too has some flaws it paints a much more satisfying picture.

Now to the matter at hand...
    Next time you want to question my fan status and respond to me (Edit because I am in a good mood).

22. Jedijace007

Oct 3, 2002
    LOL my a$$ off @ "get our jawas juicy"

CLASSIC!

onward.

23. crfields

crfields Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    oh lordy, i was hoping this wouldnt turn into a online screaming match. now remember... everyone's intitled to there own opinion. and you are not wrong if you like or dislike the film. i love parts of it, and have a "meehhh" feeling toward parts myself.

any how... xyber... question for you... why would it be a bad idea to has sids be the creator of anakin? thats how it seemed to me by the dialog from sids. is there something i am missing that makes that a bad idea? to me, i figure, as soon as sids thought anakin was ready, he set everything in motion to lead to the empire. maybe the novel explains it better? just a question.

24. jedi-knight-FL

jedi-knight-FL Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    Geeees xyber_hex, it's Hollywood, not Broadway! Hollywood has never accurately converted a book to the silver screen.

Besides are you a fan or film critic?

25. codemaker

Nov 24, 2003
    The FX alone were worth the price of admission. The film only cost $112m to make. If anyone else had those same CGI's in their film, it would have cost them, (guessing of course) maybe half a billion? Pretty much everyone I've talked to about E3 seems to love it.

Being critical is one thing, but to think it was terrible is pretty much messed up Hex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.