main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Ep III opinions?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by crfields, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crfields

crfields Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    come on guys, don't bash people for there opinions, no ones opinion is messed up or wrong, because its an opinion, thats all. lets just talk, don't get offended by others opinions, either positive or negative.

2. jedi-knight-FL

jedi-knight-FL Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    Opinions usually elicit an equal reaction to that of the opinionated...he is fair game and is responsible for his words. Bashing is for the immature.

3. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    I am quite alright with the responses.
    Bashing is immature?
    So is being a blind gusher.
    If nobody ever speaks up about anything then nothing gets changed or improved.
    If nobody vented about Jar Jar after TPM do you not think there would have been quite a bit more of him in the following two movies or did George have that planned all along to.

"The effects themselves were worth the price of admission"
    Again I say it takes more than garbage cgi to make a good film to me.
    If I want pretty effects I can play countless video games.

Now to the one real question..

thats how it seemed to me by the dialog from sids.

Anakin has a problem, he thinks Padme will die.
    All of the sudden out of the blue Palps all of the sudden says "Oh by the way, I know how to keep people from dying and affect midichlorians".
    Not "I can make you rich beyond imagine" not "I can make you king of your own planet".
    He knew exactly what Anakin needed and all of the sudden had the answer.
    Palps then of course shows that he is already inside Anakin's head by knowing that they told Anakin to spy on him.
    Then when the moment comes Palps says "Oh wait, I really dont have the power silly me, but we can learn it together..or something"
    Another red flag that he was lying the entire time.

As to why it would be bad, because it was never addressed ONCE in the OT.
    Never mentioned, never alluded to.
    Something that huge would have at least had more dialogue thrown into it near the end.
    It is the same as the people who used to think that Palps killed Padme through some force from a distance.
    Do you really think a film maker would not address that and have some resolution by Vader confronting him or finding out.
    It would be sloppy film making and would also bastardize the I am your father moment from TESB.
    "Well this trick worked once for a cool shock, lets use it again".

I admit that Lucas did paint himself into a box with the whole "created by the force" thing, but that is not the way to get out of that box.

4. codemaker

codemaker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2003
    Hex's opinion is messed up, not him personally.
    Garbage CGI? Did u see the same film I did? Are U Sure u didn't walk into "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants"? Oh wait, that started today.

5. jedi-knight-FL

Mar 16, 2005
    Nobody here is blind, your textbook expectations are quite unrealistic for the movie, much less any movie. I see you have changed your tune to improving things, that's good. I'm sure you could have entered the forum with a more positive spin for making a better movie, one we could work with you on.

6. crfields

crfields Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    girls... you're all pretty...

so, did anyone hear that Liam Neeson (sp?) actually did film a scene, but Lucas cut it, supposedly because Liam leaked the scene when he wasnt suppose. BUT.. the scene is suppose to be in the DVD. Anyone else heard or read that?

7. jedi-knight-FL

Mar 16, 2005
    hhhhahahah !!! [face_laugh] notice my icon, it's Yoda repelling lightning.

8. SithFan1977

SithFan1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    xyber, you are wise in your references to the ot and the pt, and i respect your opinions. but, respect our views as well. we are all fans of the movies, books, and all. are we no better than the wussy trekkie fans , who argue over the best captain (i dont know thier stupid names)? for the love of the sagas, is what we should be discussing, the future. we cant change the past, well lucas can, lol

9. Ravenjack

Ravenjack Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2005
    Begun the opinion war has :) Seriously though I posted my review in another section and without rehashing it I liked the film, but had many reservations about it. A lot of us had high expectations for the film and Lucas tried to appease the fans and keep his vision, but without the movie being about another hour long it just doesn't happen. I've seen it a few times now and I'll probably see it again, because I am a Star Wars junkie and if this truley is the last film in the saga then I will make the most of it.

10. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    We all have to have our Devil's Advocate. It helps to stir thought and communication. I loved the movie. I was disappointed in parts of it and felt that there was so much anticipation that it could not possibley fulfill all of our expectations. I, too have walked in the Trekkie universe and found a lot of nitpicking and varying opinion. I am not such a sheep that I have to expect all productions to be the be all end all my very exsistance. I enjoy SCI-FI in all its varying colors whether a high art or a campy piece of fluff. It stimulates me to think about possiblities. Also critism is what makes movie makers strive for the next level. If we juat stand star struck, we will never encourage the powers that be to improve or give new ones encouragement to reach farther. I like Star Wars and was entertained by it. WHat more can I say?

11. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    "wussy trekkie fans"

Hmmm You ask for respect, yet dont respect other fan-groups... interesting.

I know for d@mn sure that im not the only trek fan in our group, and while we may be few, the "trekkies" i know are far from "wussy"

I hope i dont come across as an a$$hole, as its not that big a deal (what you said) but to ask for respect when denying it to others is debatable.

onward.

12. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    lol great minds post alike Denise :) could we have timed that better?

13. SithFan1977

SithFan1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    ok, bad move on my part, just picked a bad example. it's just that some trekkie fans were bothering me at the baywalk premiere on the 19th. some bad blood if you will. and you are right, i cant judge a group just by the actions of a few. trek fans show the same, if not more dedication to their series as we do, and i need to be more open minded to all the sci-fi world. i like batman, but that does not me i have to hate superman cause he has fans too. i think these dicussions have opened mine and xyber hex's eyes a little wider. viva la fans, whatever they like!

14. SambaTahl

SambaTahl Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Hear Hear!!!
    After all wasn't this whole kit and kaboodle started becuase of one man's intoxication ( well maybe kinda) with the weekend serials of the thirties?! And with those you didn't see a heck of a lot of plot, let alone backstory! And as for dialogue I for one am still tickled everytime they slip in "I have a bad feeling about this". Weather you wish it to be more or are pleasantly satisified, its purpose was fulfilled in that it caused us to leave the stuffy old theater and join a space fairy tale one more time. And as others have said, it has encouraged the bold to "seek out new life and new civilations" (a nod to Denise and Jedi Jace here) in moviemaking. So again Viva la Sci-fi/fantasy and all their many happy fans!

15. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Lucus is technically stimulating and his work opened a whole new era in special effects. Like reading a book, we are stimulated to fill in our own pictures and stories as we see his films. Dialogue is NOT one of Lucas's strong points and never has been. But his lines have become Dogma for many and I know that they have been memorized by countless fans. The familiar phrases that he slipped in were tiny strings connecting to the big ball of string that is the Lucas Universe. I will keep seeing his work, bad or good and all shades in between because it does give me an escape from the mundane real world. A place I go to play not an altar that I worship at. I find that the strong arguements for and against E3 are part of what these forums are for. Communication and the compare and contrast of each of us as fans. The only thing we ask is that people remember these things in the context of the medium, no name calling, and not to make any personal attacks here. The diversity of opinions here is what keeps it interesting and challenging. I commend those with outspoken, original opinions and ask that everyone remember to play nice but feel free to state their views. All the veiws have validity "from a certain point of view"... I hope that these lively discussions will continue and not send anyone packing. I get a good chuckle everytime I see them. [face_devil]

16. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    In the words of Homer Simpson; "there, there, you're both right".
    I think the biggest problem with EP3 was the anticipation. I see the same thing that happened when TPM came out. It had been nearly 20 years since the last one, and everyone figured if the last 3 were so great, this new one will be the BEST! Everyone set their expectations too high and were dissapointed by not having them met, not seeing what they thought they would see. The same holds true to RoTS, this was "the last one", the one that tied it all together, the one that would save the last two, and so on. Expectations too high. If you've seen the other 5 films then you know what happens, but everyone's own vision of HOW it happens differs and thus people are dissapointed, even angry, when their own mind's hunger isnt satisfied. Many people did not like the film, not just Xyber and I have a copy of the Hernando Times that proves it, people just mad and upset as they walked out of the theater.
    Personally, I stayed away from books, scripts, and spoilers, and exected nothing. My frame of mind the whole time was "the movie will tell me what I need to know", that's it, and I enjoyed the movie. I too saw some flaws, but it is a fictional story and therefore subject to them. The only thing that is flawless is pure fact.
    Everyone IS entitled to their own opinion. That being said, I believe one of the many reasons Lucas is not wanting to make any more SW films is because since 1996 when Special Edition came out, us fans have been tearing apart every detail of his work. Why bother putting something out for the fans if they are not going to like it, but critizize instead? What's the point? He has created something in the original trilogy that now even he can't meassure up to. He might change his mind in 20 years or so, but Im not holding my breath.
    The thing to remember is that this IS a fictional story, not real. It is subject to flaws in EVERYONE's mind's eye, even Lucas' and should just be enjoyed for what it is: a form of entertainment, a couple of hours to leave the troubles of real life behind, and have and adventure in a place far, far away.
    My two cents.
    Later

17. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Well, I guess to get into the part about Obi Wan cutting off Anakin's legs and arm...he had told Yoda that he could do this ...not! He wanted to go up against Palps. Yoda ststed that he was not strong enough in the force to defeat him..(Yoda failed also). In the book that has come out from one of the series..it did state in there that Obi Wan did think that Anakin had died on Mustafar. he did not know for some months that Plaps had found him and recontructed what was left of him...hate!, etc. Which is what I had thought. He was too close to him emotionally and figured that planet would kill him or he would just die sooner or later there. Of cours, there are still other things that other people might do in a situtation like that.

18. TalusSarn

TalusSarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2005
    You are exactly right skyshark93. I can only imagine if these last three star wars had been first, and then A New Hope came out three years from now (for the first time), there's no way everyone would like it as much as they now do. Everyone would be disappointed by who was cast as Luke and Leia. Everyone would think Mark Hamill was a poor actor. The fight choreography would be pitiful in comparision, the movie would be slow in comparison, Obi Wan would be very boring compared to the Obi Wan we came to know in the first 3, Vader would be anti-climactic, etc, etc, etc.

I know that that this movie was done years ago, but the point is, many Star Wars fans keep saying that these last 3 are not as good as the first three, and I am 100% sure that if they came out now, or expectations would kill them. We had very little expectations with the first 3, and after so much time went by, we had built them up to legendary status.

Myself, I went in not expecting anything, except to just have fun and had faith in Lucas that he'd do a good job, and I like all of them, each progressively better than the one before, with ROTS being my favorite of the entire series.

The first three were classic in what they accomplished, but if I have all 6 on DVD a year from now, and I want to sit down and watch a movie, its going to be one of the newer ones that I want to sit down and watch more often. The older ones were great in their time, they started the universe, they will be classic forever, but Lucas did a better job making movies the 2nd time around than the first, and I think more people would agree if it were not for unrealistic expectations.

But we can agree to disagree, and I'll still enjoy talking Star Wars with you all! Just so long as I don't have to hear ROTS bashing everytime we get together. :)

19. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    I have to kind of disagree about the if the OT was made now thing.
    Lucas was a different person then, different ideals, different outlook on life, different views on things.
    The things that were important to him were not the same as they are now.
    He had nothing to lose so he went all out and did not hold back.

That is not the Lucas of today and that is not the world of today.
    Lucas today is a middle aged father, whose opinions and views have been colored by living and his experiences.
    How and what changed and what caused whatever changes nobody can really know.

All we can do is sit back and see what happens.
    In some ways there is some wisdom in the view of expectations, if it was not episode III of the Star Wars saga and was just another summer action film I would probably have hated it less, but the flaws that were there in my perception would still be there no matter who made it and that would not change.

Thankfully there is always the theater of the mind.

20. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Another thing to remember is that when we saw Star Wars first 3 episodes, we were far less sophisticated in what pleased us too. We were little kids easily impressed or Teenagers full of ourselves and the desire for adventure different than what we had seen up until that time or adults looking for something new.

We have been so stimulated by the influx of new technology that we have become jaded to the simple fun of watching an adventure flick.

Some of us even use our worship of the ICONs to justify our own exsistence or at least our fevor in the genre.

Even if this had been the lousiest movie of the summer, I still was entertained to the Nth degree by Lucas' body of work. Hell, I laughed my a$$ off watching "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" because of its campiness. So to require Lucas's work to be more visually and emotionally stimulating is naturqal but not necessary for my pleasure. Fandom is a hoot all by itself.

So did I get my money's worth? Hell yeah!!! I am still be entertained just talking about the good, the bad and the ugly of it all. My expectations, though not fully met have been satisfied in many areas and I will continue to watch future film makers try to surprise me even further. I say yes....I am and will continue to be a happy camper with Lucas Arts and other endeavors to get me out of the hohumdrum into my imagination.

21. davallyn

davallyn Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    Well, my opinion lies somewhere between terrific and "utter crap." I will say that I definitely lean more towards terrific if for no other reason that this film caps off a story that I have been listening to and thinking about for almost 30 years. Even when I thought that the story wouldn't continue, it flourished. These prequels do not come close to capturing the 'magic' of the Original Trilogy but they have done something very special which is keep Star Wars alive and kicking in cyberspace. So, just making a movie called Revenge of the Sith was good enough for me. Also, this film made it possible for me to attend CIII as well as that terrific midnight showing at Veterans 24!!!

Now onto the movie--I think that it was visually amazing and sometimes even overwhelming. I can't wait to pick apart the individual shots on DVD! I also think that it is far superior to the other prequels which are very disappointing without some serious fast-forwarding.

I am annoyed that Anakin's great fall was completely dependent upon the 'women' in his life. I note that no other Jedi are interested (or allowed to indulge) in women but Anakin is completely ruined by them--first the death of his mother and then the possible death of Padme. Even though there are female Jedi, it seems that femininity must be denounced before achieving master-status as a Jedi and I find that ludicrous!

There is no way that Padme would "lose the will to live." I can't believe George did this and I can't believe that Natalie acted it--give me a break. For the last two movies, I have seen a character that will stop at nothing to win and help others. I do not think that she would lose the will to live knowing that her child needed her. She should have died in childbirth or better yet, Vader's chokehold should have done the job.

The Jedi were not given one ounce of dignity in their disposal. I don't believe that Anakin killed one on screen yet he gets all the credit. None of the Jedi (accept that one 'youngling') were allowed to put up a fight. While I do think that Order 66 and the "Clone Conversion" was a brilliant tactic, the Jedi should have enough moxie to put up a fight.

There was too much going on--too many loose ends to wrap up and it felt like George had a check-list sitting in front of him--1) twins must be born 2) C3P0's must get memory wiped 3) Jedi must die. I think he may have fallen prey to all the hype and tried to deliver what people expected. The problem is that everyone had different expectations and opinions. It made his choices seem silly to me.

What was up with wookies???? Why bother????

I agree with the consensus about the Obi-wan/Anakin relationship.

The greatest disappointment was the mighty General Grievous. Like many, I watched the Clone Wars and fell in love with Grievous. His fighting methods and physical build (spinning lightsaber pelvis!!) were so delicious in cartoon form!! I was really anxious to see his film self and I was devestated by the wheezing, cloaked figure that came across. The coughing made sense to me because I saw him as a "Darth Vader" prototype but it didn't really work and made him seem weak.

I loved Yoda, Palpatine, Obi-wan, and the clones. I loved the ships and I hated the love story.

I think that George Lucas is brilliant--he just can't write or direct films. Where oh where is Steven Spielberg when you need him?

Dava

22. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    You know I didn't address my opinion of the feminine roles in ROTS. You are so right Dava in your comments about the poor portrayal of the female role models in the movie. They appeared to be mere window dressing in this movie and were vastly underused in the story. I must admit that I did feel cheated a bit on that note since Leia and Padme Amadala were so intensely strong in the other movies. It seemed almost like George was saying loving someone could make you weak and destroy your whole world. Thank God I am not so cynical.

23. codemaker

codemaker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2003
    In 77 we were all little punk bastard rugrats know-nothins who were absolutley amazed by SW. Now that were grown-ups, we can do it much better than Tha Man himself!

How dare Lucas mess up MY movie!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.