main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ep. III: Who will be the first to utter the words, "Darth Vader"?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Hatter, Mar 3, 2002.

?

Ep. III: Who will be the first to utter the words, "Darth Vader"?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Palpatine

81.4%
  2. Anakin/Vader

10.3%
  3. Other

8.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
  2. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I'm just curious, because I know that when those words are first spoken, it will send a shiver down my spine like nothing else.
    I can just picture Palpatine during Anakin's initiation ceremony (if there is one):
    "You are now a Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth... Vader."

3. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Palpatine. Possibly addressing him. Like: "Go wipe out the rest of the jedi. They will be no match for you Lord Vader" or something to that effect.

4. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I believe that it will be Palpy as well. I am sure that he will insist that Anakin no longer go by his birth name. He will try to make Anakin forget who he is, and he will succeed.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    one wind to blow them all!

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    If anyone says it, it'll be Palpy. But I hope there's no cheesy line like "You are no longer Anakin Skywalker, you shall be Darth Vader". Some subtlety, please.

Also, I'm kinda hoping that it's not explicitly stated that Ani = Vader (to keep the surprise going till ESB for those who aren't in the know), so... anyway.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Palpy. Although I'm not sure whether the apprentice gets to choose his own Sith name or his master gives it to him, I'm sure it will be Palpatine who will get the distinction of uttering the name first. It would just sound so much more ominous coming from him.

7. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    Palpatine.

"Arise, Lord Vader." Or something similar.

Though it'd be nice to here OB1 call him simply "darth" like in ANH. Sort of a sneering mocking tone to it.

-JWAC

8. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Probably Palpatine.

9. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    Jedi Without a Cause, I was thinking something simular to your phrase but instead of "arise" I would use "Rise forth my young apprentice... Darth Vader" Something like that. But then again I'm not a writer so I'll leave that to the master story teller himself, GEORGE LUCAS. :p

10. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    I've always been of the mind that "Darth Vader" will be a well-known exterminator of Jedi well before it's revealed that he is infact Anakin. In other words Anakin will continue to maintain his "good" exterior while secretly donning a black cloak and cutting down Jedi left and right.

Perhaps Obi-Wan finds out and, before telling anyone what he knows, tries to coax Anakin back to the good side hoping everything will just go back to normal.

So, in my opinion, the first one to use the name "Darth Vader" could be Windu or even Yoda, when reporting on this mysterious new assassin.

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    If it's anyone, it'll be Palps. No good guys will say it, because it'll be like the other Sith's in the movie, good guys never know their name...well, until the OT.

If Vader has a conversation with Palps, then Palps will say it, but if there is little important interaction, no one will say it.

12. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Palpatine will find Anakin after his little dip in the lava and say something along the lines of this.

"Arise from the ashes that Anakin Skywalker has left behind. I bid you welcome, Darth Vader."

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, here's a newbie-ish question. Does "Vader" actually have some sort of meaning pertaining to SW? I mean how the heck did they come up with that name for him? Maul is kind of a menacing word, based on its actual meaning, and Sidious....well, I kind of associate that with Sinister or something like that. So what is the signifigance of Vader?

EDIT: Sorry, no spoilers here that haven't been released officially yet. Welcome to the forum anyhow, Mrs_MayimNaar.

14. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    I'm pretty sure one of those names shouldn't be mentioned in this forum....you may want to edit your post while you still can.

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I apologize! I only know what my husband has taught me abou SW, and unfortunately it's all new to me! I didn't realize that was a spoiler!

Does anyone have any insights on the whole Vader meaning, though?

16. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Actually I think I heard that it means "father" in Dutch or something.

But mostly I think it just sounds cool. :)

17. Master_MayimNaar

Master_MayimNaar Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2001
    In my wife's defense, I have not explained what is spoiler material and what is not. She has been spoiled to death by my constant AOTC ramblings, so please forgive her. Darth Mouth, thanks for the polite and helpful hint. . . too bad more JCers aren't of the same temper. :)

18. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think it will be Anakin. I imagine the scene to be him in the shadows with his saber drawn and Mace in front of him. Mace will ask who he is and then Anakin reveals himself and says that he is Darth Vader and battles Mace and eventually kills him.

19. Jedi Without a Cause

Apr 7, 2000
    Vader does mean father I beleive in some other language, which would lead one to think of Darth Vader as maybe Dark Father and thus be a clue. But also I think I George Lucas say something about Darth Sidious being "shortened from INsidious similar to how Vader was shortened from INvader," what clues to his role the characterizer of invader might hold, I admit I don't know.

-JWAC

20. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Vader is German for father. It might be Dutch as well, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, the way words are pronounced in German, Vader even comes off sounding like the English word for father. I have heard the theory of it being a shortened form of invader as well, but that makes no sense to me. Palpy may be insidious, but everyone's favorite Sith Lord Darth Vader isn't invading anything. His faction is already in control.

21. Jedi Without a Cause

Apr 7, 2000
    except that he does invade the blockade runner at the beginning of ANH. And maybe even invades the jedi council. Who knows. But I'm pretty sure it's a GL quote.

-JWAC

22. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Padme. Don't know why. Maybe because the first person we heard saying it in the OT was her daughter.

23. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    I'm quite amused, my friends. Be careful not to state these speculations as fact.

In the end, this is all near-pure speculation. There are so many things we don't really know yet. Therefore, even though I voted Palpatine, I don't really know for sure whose mouth it will slip out of first. And Lucas may not really care, either. Think about that.

My vote was how I'd guess if forced to bet on it, but I realize that the first utterance of the name Darth Vader can happen in an infinite number of scenarios, and therefore who utters it is definitely not for certain. While I prefer Palpatine, I may not likely get my preference.

24. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    I think Anakin will get to pick. I imagine a "what will you call yourself?" sort of thing...

25. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I hope it's Palpy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.