main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA Ep.III

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by xdarthsmithiousx, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I SO want to see a pic of your Percheron!

2. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    A lot of Eye of Newt.

Thank you. My Sid is brillant, which he gets from me. The skin comes from his father. I keep telling him to give it back, but will he listen? Of course not.-Okay I am stating down a twisted path.

Golda

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    STARTING? Golda, you've been running down that path as long as I've known you! :)

4. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004
    Starting? Running? Wore grooves into it? It's a path that looks interesting.

Maybe we could glue scales and feathers to Merlin. The walk he would have to larn himself.

Golda

5. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    *collapses into a laughing heap, envisioning a truly disgusting skin tug-of-war* "Give it back! "No, it's mine now!" "Give it BACK...!"

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP*

"Oh. That's just great. Now NOBODY can use your father's skin..."

6. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004
    I think someone with little hairy feet is using my twisted path.

EXXXCEELLANT.

Golda

7. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Run, Frodo, Run!!! :)

8. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Well, perhaps people have forgotten to be as creeped out as I am that Padme is supposed to be AT LEAST (a conservative estimate) 10 years older than Anakin is, and that she first met him when he was a little kid. Ew. I mean, that mental boff-jump from Fandom Menace to Attack of the Clunks was almost too much to deal with. I guess GL et al. hope people are forgetting this by not 'aging' Natalie Portman appropriately. or else it was just supposed to go in the "what the H?" file with the whole midichlorian thing. I dunno. but again, I say ew.

Blew through town? Aren't the Senate/Jedi Temple/Padme's pad all like, what, within viewing distance of each other, on the same planet?! Anakin can't be out on little Jedi missions all the time -- and obviously wasn't!

Caryn B.

>I don't see why everyone has such a hard time with the Padme/Anakin thing. It's like, dude, if you'd been secretly married to someone as hot as Hayden Christensen, for almost four years, and couldn't ever talk to anyone about it, when he blew through town you'd be spewing some pretty cheesy dialogue too.

9. xdarthsmithiousx

xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    Yes, anakin was on a lot of missions, being that the movies aren't the only things going on. In the clone wars cartoon series, he's off doing many things, so he and padme DIDN'T get to see each other all of the time, so of course they would be more emotional when they DID get to see each other.

Whether you love or hate the whole Anakin/Padme thing, love or hate the prequels, the fact is that many people do enjoy anakin and padme, and do enjoy the prequels. Why should anyone take that away?

10. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004
    Padane is only 5 years older than Anakin. He was supposed to be 9 or 10 years old during Ep I. Padame was 14 years old. Naboo selects children to be their leaders. And Padame had just been elected when Ep I began.

Golda

P.S. Don't listen to the evil Jedi, Frodo.

11. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I don't think it's having Anakin and Padme together (age difference notwithstanding), it's more just that George Lucas writes emotional dialogue about as well as...oh, C3PO might. He just has a tin ear. This is said from someone who adores Star Wars. George Lucas writes dialogue that is, by and large, of the suck. And it gets worse when he tries to write romance. I have no problem with Anakin and Padme, but I have a huuuuuge problem with some of the terrible lines they stuck the actors with--across the board, but particularly for them.

"I love you more. Oh no, I love you more. No, it's cuz I'm in love. No, it's cuz I'M in love." Barf. All they needed to add was, "No, it's that I love YOU more. Oh Snoogum-Woogums, I wuv you and could just EAT YOU UP."

It's just badly written. Not the sentiment, which is totally valid but with the way it's expressed, which is about at the level of 13 year olds. He always did do better when he got someone else working on the script with him.

*shrug* That's one reason I loved the novelization--the worst of the dialogue is worked with until it's a bit more palatable and whole scenes of dialogue are added that really REALLY help offset moments like that onscreen.

Now, all that ranting aside, the dialogue as a whole is OSCAR material compared to the earlier two films. So, credit where it's due--I think Lucas really tried his best on this and it shows. There are some screaming clunkers in ROTS, but comparatively, it's absolute gold, and I enjoyed 90% of the film without reservation. :)

- Kai (aka Frodo, trying not to fall to the Dark Side in spite of the allure of cookies...)

12. mileniumhanandshrimp

mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2005
    <of the suck> indeed. well spoken as usual, kai!

no problem whatsoever with age difference in relationships (as anyone who knows me can tell)
    HUGE problem with vomitously bad dialogue. [face_sick]

that is all.

13. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    *dies* I hadn't seen (or perhaps noticed) the "bilious" icon before. That's a scream!

14. Liz_Skywalker

Liz_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2005
    When Ep. I was cast Natalie Portman was 12 and Jake Lloyd was 7. So no more than five years age difference, and in the film they're actually supposed to be a little closer I think. And Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman are within a year's age difference I believe (so no grossness there). It was easy to continue to use Natalie Portman as Padme, because she had matured over the couple of years in between films, though she was not the 24 or so years that Padme's character was in AOTC, and she's a far cry from the 27 or so that she's supposed to be in Ep. III. They had to get a new actor for Ani, because Jake was only like 11. (On a random side note, why does no one bat an eyelash when a man is four or five years older than his wife, but if the wife is four or five years older than the husband, it's "eewy sick?") I also beg to differ with the "aging of Natalie Portman" because when you actually do go back and watch Ep.I, it is really quite striking how short she is, and how young she looks compared to now/ Ep. III. And to reiterate, in the Clone Wars, particularly volume 2, the fact that Padme and Anakin didn't get to see each other very often was central to the storyline.

15. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    no no no... NO problem with the age difference... and i think she acts her "age" just fine onscreen. in regards to maturity, her character has always had more on the ball than anakin, probably from having to rule and deal with the senate, learning early how to see other people's point of view, nogotiate and compromise. just think all their lovey-dovey dialogue blows, is all.

(and we definitely know where luke got that whining trait from.)

16. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    <<I always thought the story would be that Vader never even knew Padme was pregnant.>>

btw, liz, i always thought that too. my running theory was that anakin "went over" before he ever even knew she was pregnant, severed his ties with his old life, and she had the kids (seperated them?) and *later* died - based on that line of leia's about remembering her mother. vader seemed to figure out luke was his pretty quickly, presumably by hearing the name skywalker. but he never knew about leia until luke's emotions spilled the beans (and then he automatically knows who the sister is?? small freakin' galaxy) which doesn't exactly explain why he never sensed it when they were in proximity, like when he was TORTURING her. but hey, the entire collective wisdom of the jedi council couldn't seem to figure out palpatine, so maybe that clouding thing works both ways. go figure.

17. Liz_Skywalker

Liz_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2005
    >> and we definitely know where luke got that whining trait from

LOL!

and yeah, that's exactly what my theory was too! only add that maybe Vader always thought Padme was dead, because she was afraid of what he had become, so she set him up to think she was gone (and Obi-Wan helped her to accomplish this). Then, she she sweated out the pregnancy in secret, split up the twins for their own safety, and later married Bail Organa... not necessarily for love... and died.

>> which doesn't exactly explain why he never sensed it when they were in proximity, like when he was TORTURING her. but hey, the entire collective wisdom of the jedi council couldn't seem to figure out palpatine, so maybe that clouding thing works both ways. go figure.

SERIOUSLY!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.