main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ep VII Shot in Wales and nobody knew.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheBBP, Sep 26, 2014.

1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    http://www.total-geeks.com/star-wars-vii-visited-wales/

He goes on about hundreds of extras and stuff. I thought that we did know about this?

I know likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Isn't that where Puzzlewood is?

3. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    We knew about this long ago. Not necessarily the details though.

4. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Lets see... RAF Greenham Common, Puzzlewood, Abu Dhabi, Skellig Michael, Forest of Dean, and Iceland...

RAF Greenham Common = Starfighter base, exterior shots and takeoff sequence... Yavin IV as a location?
    Puzzlewood Studios = Interior and effects shooting... Coruscant as a location?
    Abu Dhabi = Exterior shots... Tattooine as a location?
    Skellig Michael = Exterior shots... New location - Volcanic World.
    Forest of Dean = Exterior shots, battle sequences, practical effects... Yavin IV as a location?
    Iceland = Background and establishment shots... New location - Volcanic World.

Any others?

5. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Do you mean Pinewood Studios? Puzzlewood Forest was the location they filmed at last month I believe

Oh and Puzzlewood Forest IS known as Forest of Dean :p

http://www.puzzlewood.net/

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Pinewood Studios

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm thinking Greenham Commons and Puzzlewood are for one planet and probably one we haven't seen yet. If I were to guess I'd say Corellia. Abu Dhabi is obviously for Tatooine. Skellig Michael and Iceland are one planet that I'll guess is Moraband.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  8. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    A dormant volcanic wasteland like Iceland really does sound like a sith planet, doesn't it?

9. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    From the locations, this movie sounds like a combination of ESB and ROTJ.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm with the mindset that we need a threat dedicated solely to filming locations.

As for Iceland, has it been confirmed that they filmed there? If so, where? The rumors are from spring.

What about Island of Skye near Scotland? That was an early rumor. The backdrops of Skye and southern Iceland are similar with majestic rolling hills and mountains. They also resemble the old concept pic we saw of the Falcon over cliffs from the picture of the meeting the producers were having.

11. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Please correct me if I am wrong but just to clarify, if I understand everything correctly, Puzzlewood is another name for the Forest of Dean, which is in Gloucestershire on the English side of the English-Welsh border/Offa's Dyke. Is that correct?

Even though it is on the Englsih side, given it is in the Welsh Marches, it should give the film even more of the "Celtic" atmosphere that Skellig Michael is providing.

12. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Yes, the Forest of Dean is in England, but not a million miles from Wales. The title of the thread is slightly misleading, implying that filming has taken place in Wales. However, in the actual OP it just mentions the crew having stayed in Wales while shooting stuff in the Forest of Dean. I'm sure the OP didn't mean to mislead, so let's go easy on him/her.

Echo Base and TK327 like this.
  13. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Isn't Moraband supposed to be a barren wasteland more along the lines of a rocky southwestern USA?

TheBBP likes this.
  14. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Id
    Is Iceland a rumour or confirmed?

15. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Kinda.Only with a few egyptian monuments.

16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Is it possible for them to take backdrops of one place and put it behind the actual locale of another?

In other words, film action shots at Skellig Michael or sets in Pinewood, but have scenic backgrounds from Iceland in the distance to make it look like one place?

17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    The only interesting thing about this new article is this:
    That’s right folks – it looks as though ‘Star Wars VII’ will feature a battle scene with thousands of extras. But that’s not all. I have it on good authority that the Puzzlewood shoot involved a full-scale battle which surrounded a pivotal fight scene with some of our main characters.
    The actors involved? None other than John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Pip Andersen. I also had word that Adam Driver was on the scene (and spotted him skulking around the hotel) but I was unable to establish his exact role in those scenes. But judging from the state of Ridley and Boyega’s stunt doubles, they were in for quite a workout.

It's also good to finally have something about Pip Andersen.

Darth Chiznuk and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    there was a rumor that shots were filmed in Morocco which would fit for Moraband.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hmm, Andersen's in the scene? Sweet! Wonder what his role will be? Is he one of the villains Boyega and Ridley are fighting, or is he fighting alongside the two of them? If Driver was on-scene, I wonder if it's a Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring style fight scene, where Boyega, Ridley, and Andersen are fighting armies of enemies alone (a la Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli), while Driver orders his forces on like Lurtz ("find the halflings!"/"kill the Jedi!"). Perhaps this leads to the rumored showdown between Driver and Boyega. Of course "thousands of extras" probably means there are troops on the heroes' side, too, throwing that out the window–and also, if Gwendoline Christie is in armor, it's possible she could've been there too without anybody knowing.

Oh, and if this is the scene of that concept art in the forest with the Falcon overhead, then Han, Oscar, Chewie, and others could be there too, just not on the ground battle (hence they weren't spotted)! I wonder if this will be the climax of the movie? If so, I wonder where Luke, Leia, Gleeson, Clarke, and Nyong'o are? The speculation is so fun. :D

starocean90 likes this.
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I agree with what you say and given the humongous army and the fact that the main characters are there this could be the Final Battle of Episode VII.
    Which character will get shot numerous times and still be fighting to protect the others, ala Boromir?:p
    I think the thousand of extras should be bad guys so that you get to see Boyega and Ridley defeat an army of a thousand by themselves.:D

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm betting this battle will be near the beginning of the film. No reason why other then I think it'll have a similar structure to ESB. A battle at the beginning which leads our heroes off on an adventure to find the wise Jedi Master.

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    but but the beginning has to be Luke's floating hand in space.:p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012

What do you think they're all fighting over. :p

GunganSlayer and starocean90 like this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That's what I assume, yeah.

I was thinking, if the rumor of Andersen and Ridley being siblings is true, then what if Andersen is intentionally putting himself in more harm's way than necessary so that his sister will be safe? I don't want to see him die, certainly, but it could be a very powerful scene.

I was kind of hoping for this too (although Andersen would be there in addition to Boyega and Ridley, unless he's a villain).

starocean90 likes this.
  25. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Yup, that's how it works on a basic level. Director Rob Ficke, of Baraka fame, filmed in Thailand and Italy for Episode III. These exterior plates shots were used for Kashyyyk and Mustafar, respectfully. He was actually pretty lucky to film Mt. Etna erupting in Italy. He's credited as "Director of Photography: Sicily and Thailand" in the film.

That's just one example, but this happens all the time in film.