main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ep3 - More politics or more action?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Uruk-hai, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    What's the main difference between the OT and the PT? To me it's the inordinate amount of politics that pervades The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Too much politics makes for very dull sections of a film. Senate debates, political discussions and theological argument slowed up the last two films, making them quite the opposite to the swashbuckling and action packed films of the OT. I know that TPM had some action and AOTC had a bit more, but it wasn't what I'd class as action/adventure like ANH or ESB were.

Now, having shown my position what are you looking for in EP3? More politics - the turn of the senate into an empire, the overthrow of the chancellor's position and the instatement of an emperor, the beginings of the imperial fleet and army?

Or like me, do you want a return to the adventure, the action and the lightheartedness of the first Star Wars films? I find the PT is taking itself too seriously in certain parts and has bored the pants of me and many people I know when it delves rather clumsily and long windedly into the politics of creating the empire.

2. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    i agree with you. this one should be more action orientated. There could be short scenes of politics like the one in ANH were Vader chokes the commander on the death star.

3. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Other than Palpatine taking over, I don't think there is much more politics to be discussed. It's about Anakin's fall, not about political corruption or a separatist government.

The Clone Wars need to end, the Jedi need to be wiped out(or atleast be taken down several notches), the Sith must be revealed, Anakin needs to become Darth Vader, the Empire must rise(probably with a bang to strike fear into people) and the twins will be born. These are the plot points we know should happen. Based on that, I think it will be a return to the action of the OT, just very dark.

There are no trade disputes or secret clone armies this time around, so I'd say politics will be on the low side in comparison to the other two. I'd say the rise of the Empire will be the big political stuff here, but it be second to Anakin's fall.

That's my opinion anyway. <Tosses two cents in>

4. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    I want to see more action, but also a little politics. Maybe: 85% Action 15% Politics

5. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I think the only politics we will see is when Palps reveals his intentions. Perhaps we will see Padme do some talking, but I really hope not.

E3 is going to be the most action packed of the PT, and I cannot wait.

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Or like me, do you want a return to the adventure, the action and the lightheartedness of the first Star Wars films?

I wish the PT was more "fun" but, somehow, I don't think ep3 is going to be "lighthearted" ;)

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, Lucas has pretty much admitted that the PT is more convoluted than the OT. What's not to like about the OT?

You got bad guys, you got good guys. Action, action, action. Farm boy meets princess and rogue. Villain is farm boy's father. Princess and rogue fall in love, princess and farm boy discover their heritage, farm boy redeems father, who kills Super Villain. Plus lots of explosions.

The PT is a lot more complicated, and it's more grey/shady in terms of plot and morality and good/evil.

Anyway, I'd prefer action and politics over action and love story, but that's just me. ;)

8. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah you are right, lighthearted probably isn't the right word for Ep3, but you know what I mean. I don't want to be bored sitting through meetings of the senate again.

And in Attack of the Clones, you get love story, politics and action. Too much yawn inducing stuff there.

9. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    There wasn't that much politics in AotC; it was more implied than anything else. TPM had much more political content (afterall, the whole movie is the result of the exciting event of the taxation of trade routes ;))

We still need the following political scenes, however: Palpatine's ascension to Emperor and the creation of the Empire/Fall of the Republic

But then you've got the action stuff: end of Clone Wars, rise of the Empire/fall of the Republic and the start of the Jedi Purge.

It seems that the action is going to outweigh the politics and, in this case, they will probably be closely tied together anyway.

10. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I think there will be more action in Episode 3 and possibly the most action packed movie in the saga however, I hope there is some politics in the storyline.

11. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    I'd have to say that a balance is best. I'm interested in the political conflicts and schemes that led to the empire, but I'm also interested just as much in a whole bunch of clones mindlessly destorying a couple hundered Jedi in a giant-epic-super battle scene.

12. Padawan Coalesce

Padawan Coalesce Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 1999
    I am leaning towards the action side.
    But of the few SW books I have read, I like the one that was mostly about the politics the best..."Cloak of Deception". I liked the way they create this huge web and it all comes together in the end. I would like to see something like that in Ep3 and for it to somehow be a surprising outcome if it's not going to be action packed.

13. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    I really like the political stuff of the PT.
    It´s great to see Palpatine use Amidala as a pawn in TPM. And, as Padawan Coalesce i really enjoyed "Cloak of Deception". Maybe it´s been enough now, and epIII will
    probably be mostly about Anakin´s fall.

14. Da_Joker

Da_Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2003
    99.9% Politics 0.1% Action.

That would be dumb but that's what it's probably gonna be.

15. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Maybe a little of both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.