main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EpIII SA: Linking and Refreshing

Discussion in 'Communications' started by QueenDorme, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I would just like to bring up two points here about the EpIII Spoilers Allowed Forum;

1) Can we please stop general members like wstraka5 linking threads to other threads they deem redundant?

Since they are not Moderators nor Admins, you cannot present to them any case as to why you opened the thread in the first place; by then, the thread becomes spammed with links thus throwing decent discussion off track.

2) Is it possible that *Official* Threads be closed after 2 or 3 months of being opened?

I know from AotC that after 2 or 3 months that member's ideas change very radically and having to read through hundreds of posts to see if your idea has been raised is a pain.

There never use to be so many *Official* threads so this was never a real problem before.

Cheers,
    QueenDorme

2. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    You seem to have superman confused for whatever bad guy is in the issue your reading. wstraka5 is superman. He, ready, get this....IS A GIANT HELP from what I've seen.

3. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    Can we please stop general members like wstraka5 linking threads to other threads they deem redundant?

it seems to me that if this was a problem, the 3SA mods would have asked him to stop already... he knows his way around that forum, and has been a boon, from what i've seen.

4. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I don't get the big deal, an old(ish) member trying to help out the new ones.
    _jOBO

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Linking to previously made threads helps alot. Now, I've never been to 3SA, but in Games, many newbies don't bother to check look for previously created threads. Linking helps the mods keep redundant threads down, and allows the thread's creators to join in discussion with others who already are talking about that topic.

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The linking to older threads is undoubtedly more helpful then not, but in my never humble opinion restarting offical threads after a period of time is probably a good idea.

7. QueenDorme

Jun 9, 2002
    EDIT: Aimed at citizem-tom.

I agree that sometimes it helps, but it also becomes a pain. Although some threads are redundant, many are not.

It is really annoying to have a thread suddenly stopped by a link which is incorrect.

If anyone feels that a thread is redundant, then they should PM a moderator with a link to that thread and let the Moderator and the poster discuss the issue.

8. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    I agree that sometimes it helps, but it also becomes a pain. Although some threads are redundant, many are not.
    Give us an example

It is really annoying to have a thread suddenly stopped by a link which is incorrect.

again, give an example

If anyone feels that a thread is redundant, then they should PM a moderator with a link to that thread and let the Moderator and the poster discuss the issue.
    I'm sure mods would soooooooo loooooove to be bugged every time there is a redundant thread (every 19.6768695496491111111211 seconds)

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I seem to remember a debate about this same thing three months ago... except for the AOTC forum. The mods seem to appreciate some help once and a while.

10. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    There aren't enough mods and not enough time for them to do what you want.

Besides I feel we should encourage members to politely police each other.

The embaressment you might feel for making a mistake is better then having to deal with the Department of Redundancy Department. I realize that they may screw up, but really theres no reason not to politely point out how your thread is different and unique.

11. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Mmmm, I have such fond memories of discussions like these.

Ahhh, those were the good days! :)

Point is, the mods love it when members help out by linking. It saves the mods a lot of time that they would have to spend searching for threads.

12. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Your best bet in these situation is to ingore them. Continue the thread, and if a mod thinks that it's redundant, they'll close it. I refuse to go into 3SA, but I know in other forums, that these links are often useful to the discussion. We have to remember that just because threads aren't on the first 5 pages doesn't make them irrelevant.

If you have a problem with wstraka5, then that should be taken up with him via PM rather than publicly calling him out.

13. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    If you have a problem with wstraka5, then that should be taken up with him via PM rather than publicly calling him out.

yet you will never get superman to take off his cape! :D

14. QueenDorme

Jun 9, 2002
    Give us an example

There have been quite a few over the months, and I am not going over all of my posts to get them. However, the most recent which has caused to me post this thread...

1) http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8737177&start=8737257

Here, I posted a thread regarding the time of day that EpIII ends with in regards to the PT. The poster links to a thread discussing the events of the ending of EpIII. A totally different discussion and spammed my thread.

It would have been much better for the poster to PM a moderator, as per the rules, and let them and myself dicuss the matter. The thread then could take on a life of its own.

again, give an example

Um, no.

I'm sure mods would soooooooo loooooove to be bugged every time there is a redundant thread (every 19.6768695496491111111211 seconds)

Actually, that is exactly what they are there to do and that is why that have 'moderator' on their icons. They also preferred to be PM'd.

15. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    The jc mods are fed up with wstraka and his redirection and his pm'ing moderators HOURLY with suggested locked threads.

The mods are far from helpless, if they're having a problem with him, I'm sure they can handle it. ;)

16. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    citizen-tom do you post anywhere else other than communications?

Why don't you look in my latest posts? That might help. And yes. Yes I do.

17. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    (every 19.6768695496491111111211 seconds)

Where did you come up with that number.

Oh! btw... I think it is fine for people to link other people in the right direction.

18. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    glasnost--wstraka redirection is spamming.
    Like what you're doing now?

3SA is tired of wstraka.

I'm tired of you.

01--Where did you come up with that number.
    Scientific research. ;)

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    My highly placed mod sources have told me this problem has been disscused and they decided to solve it by beating wstraka with wet noodles until he cries like a girl then making him a mod.

Problem solved.

Now I'll say again I like the idea of restarting the official threads.

20. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    ^^^^ Make him a MOD again. ;)

21. Redundancy

Redundancy Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 11, 2002
    Why does everyone hate me? :_|

Redundancy - I'm not that bad once you get to know me
    King of Everything Redundant

22. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    ^agreed. I was only around to see about 2 weeks of farraday mod-ship but there were atleast 3 times I thought he was following me around and correcting everything I said.

23. QueenDorme

Jun 9, 2002
    I understand that help can be good, but it also can be a pain; especially when links are being provided incorrectly; which is something wstraka5 is prone to.

I had TWO parts of my argument for a reason. The second part is just as important and links to the first.

There use to be a rule that if it wasn't on the first 10 pages, then it could stay open (older members will recall). However, with the new system of indexing all threads, the topics are getting stale. Threads can take on a life of their own and often did before indexing.

Perhaps we should leave some threads open a little longer and watching where the discussion goes before locking them instantly and linking them as redundant.

24. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    glasnost:
    If you're going to continue to attack wstraka5, I think you better at least reveal yourself instead of hiding behind a sock.

He's been nothing but a help to boards.
    And if anyone has a problem with him, they should take it up with him.

All I can see is this is an indirect way of flaming a member. Pointing someone out like this isn't allowed if I remember the rules right.

So why don't you stop harrassing a perfectly good member of the JC and go get a life?

Anyways, stop attacking this member. If you have a problem with the boards, express them. But unless you plan to name at least 3 problem members on the boards, don't name anyone. And even then you should take it to a PM.

25. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    c-t, actually, there were four.

;)

And a sock named glasnost.... teh funni.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.