main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EpIII SA: Linking and Refreshing

Discussion in 'Communications' started by QueenDorme, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    3SA is tired of wstraka.

Almost as tired as we are of socks in Comms.

Except Redundancy, of course. ;)

2. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    Firstly, please lay off wstraka5. Despite what you think of the way he tries to help, at the end of the day he is doing only that: trying to help. Singling him out is not fair.

The problem with 3SA is that currently there are lots of members wanting to talk about what amounts to very little. No spoilers mean that discussion can become quite stale. This leads to a hell of a lot of redundancy - and this is really difficult to tackle in an even handed way.

Personally, I think posting links in obviously redundant threads is the best course of action, and it helps us mods greatly. I agree that the borders between what is redundant and what isn't become blurred, and in marginal cases members should perhaps not decide for everyone else that something is or isn't redundant. We mods should take that responsibility, and with it the blame when threads are incorrectly labelled redundant.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "3SA is tired of wstraka"

It's a message board forum. I don't think it has feelings one way or the other.

Amazing.

4. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    GreenCrossCode, could you also address the second part of my concerns, too?

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    --edit: Sorry, you got the point I was going to make.

6. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    "Department of Redundancy Department."

a kid had a shirt that said that on it today at my school.

inspired by this topic, i think i shall have to invent a new word. It shall refer to what were previously call sub human, or if you're lazy, just a n00b. but n00b isn't enough, not anymore.

n0ol!

7. QueenDorme

Jun 9, 2002
    Please don't spam this thread, either contribute to the original topic or refrain.

8. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    "Is it possible that *Official* Threads be closed after 2 or 3 months of being opened?"

I thought that was the idea from the start. Huge threads should be closed and restarted because having threads with several thousand replies in them won't prevent redundancy at all.

Edit: And wstraka5 is being a help, so it wasn't right to bring him into this. At the very least no names should have been mentioned.

9. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I agree with what green_cross_code said.

A couple of additional notes from my perspective and way of moderating:

#1) When a member points out links to existing topics to other members because of redundancy, many times it is quite helpful - especially for the newer members who don't know what has already been discussed and what topics exist. I even get PM's asking where to go and what to look for. The index thread for our forum is not a "sticky" thread and is not always visible. That is OK.

#2) When a member posts a link, the thread is not always closed. My policy, except for a few grossly redundant topics (i.e. How will Mace die?, Is Mace a traitor, Will Padme die?, Who is Anakin's father?, and Is so-and-so a clone), is to give most of the threads a fair chance, even if somewhat redundant, a chance to live a little bit, see how it fares. If it takes off, it may very well replace the current Official Thread or already-existing thread. After being in the 3SA for a while, as in any Forum, you get a feel for what is seriously redundant. No one likes it if you post a new thread and didn;t take the time read their ideas in the thread they created or posted in.

I care about quality in the threads for the members in the 3SA. I really do. And if a new thread can surpass the old "stale" one, so be it.

#3) Members and myself sometimes post links to existing threads not only to say "hey, this is redundant and should be locked", but rather "this thread(s) also relates to your topic - be sure to check it out as well to see some great ideas from others."

#4) Teamwork is the name of the game in the 3SA, and all members, QueenDorme included, help to make the place the best it can be. That is all I can hope for in my assigned Forum.

wstraka5 is a great help. If it bothers members, those members need to PM him and talk it out one on one. If the issue becomes a problem that requires mod-intervention, I will get involved. But I have not seen any serious problems in that regard.

10. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    Oh, sorry. I forgot to include my point.

I have linked threads tons of times in community when they're redundant, usually I PM a mod, but after I link to the origional. If you think the mods don't benefit or even like what he's doing, and other good guys like him, then you're at the wrong place, please goto the slacker council or episode-x where they're mostly un moded. Trust me, all the mods appreciate the sort of stuff he is doing, and sometimes has even helped people in becoming a moderator.

11. green_cross_code

Jul 11, 2000
    " 2) Is it possible that *Official* Threads be closed after 2 or 3 months of being opened?"

Personally, I think we should cut down on the number of official threads. Whether that would solve the problem I don't know, but at least it would make a thread seem less 'immortal,' and I think that might be the key to it.

At the bottom of it all is the fine line we tread between closing enough redundant threads, and not closing too many. That sounds silly, but if you think that we need to accommodate new posters as well as old ones, you might understand what I mean. Old users are going to be turned off by redundancy; new users are going to be turned off by being told to join a 20-page discussion.

It's such a hard thing to juggle.

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Hey! No one mess with wstraka5! :mad: He's a huge help in 3SA.

13. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    glasnot: shove it.

now.

14. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    hey, n0ol (glasnost), why don't you step out from your sock and say it to my face! cuz when you insult a friend of mine, it's like you've insulted family, and when you insult my family, you've insulted me.

come on, they're trying to discuss something here, you just seem like you're flaming him.

15. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    cuz when you insult a friend of mine, it's like you've insulted family, and when you insult my family, you've insulted me.

Bravo! Well said, just like a pro. ;)

16. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Is anyone else amused by the fact that in the thread QueenDorme posted, wstraka apologized for his wrong linking 2 posts later and the thread is still open?

17. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    What the moderator's say here pubically about wstraka is NOT what they say privately.

PPOR.

Admitely, I don't visit 3SA, but if his posts are annoying, just skip them.

~H~

18. QueenDorme

Jun 9, 2002
    JC Members, please read my original post carefully. I am not attacking wstraka5 but rather highlighting an issue that mainly involves him.

It is the issue, NOT him, that is being discussed here.

EDIT

Is anyone else amused by the fact that in the thread QueenDorme posted, wstraka apologized for his wrong linking 2 posts later and the thread is still open?

But the thread has been derailed by this. Why not let the thread flow as per usual and PM a mod instead?

19. green_cross_code

Jul 11, 2000
    "It is the issue, NOT him, that is being discussed here."

If the issue is the concern, why name him? I think it was highly unnecessary.

20. QueenDorme

Jun 9, 2002
    For the same reason people post: PPOR.

He is the person who commonly uses this form of linking.

21. green_cross_code

Jul 11, 2000
    I still think it is harsh on someone who, as I said, is only trying to help.

22. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    "For the same reason people post: PPOR."

ummm that didn't make much sense.

23. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I believe that she is saying that she named wstraka5 so that people could not state "PPOR."

24. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    ah i see.

but you will notice that the thread linked did get back on track.

oh, and regardless of who is doing it, it still stands that it benefits mods and the proof is in the testimonies we have seen so far. case closed.

25. QueenDorme

Jun 9, 2002
    People aren't reading my original point I raised. They simply see a name and make out I am attacking that person. In no way was wstraka5 under attack.

The allowing of non-moderator members linking in threads they deem redundant, is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.