Episode 1 Cans Starting to Spring Leaks

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by darthvader2570, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. darthvader2570 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was lying in my bed last night and I heard a hissing sound. I got up and saw that one of my pop cans had sprung a leak. I have heard some things about this happening to other people also. Is this supposed to happen, and if it is, what would be a good way of draining them.
  2. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I think it;s because of temp changes and stuff. A good way to drain would be to drill a small holwe in the bottom. After each can is drained, I'd suggest washing out with water.
  3. gedi Jedi Knight

star 2
    may the fizz be with you
  4. ThePostman Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep one exploded on me one night as I slept...It was kinda not cool, I had to throw them all away... :(
  5. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I guess you don't read the insider and Sansweet's monthly warning about not draining your cans.
  6. Padawan716 Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't people know you're supposed to drain the cans? :eek:

hmmm, that reminds me, I have unopened bottles of coke from the 94 world cup... I wonder if those will stay safe...
  7. Master-Fett Force Ghost

star 6
    WELL THINK , IF ONES FROM 1999 ARE EXPLODING I WONDER IF ONES FROM 1994 ARE SAFE !!!! DUH !!!!

sorry about that sometimes i just have to scream out loud :(
  8. ThePostman Jedi Master

star 4
    well if their bottles they should be fine :D
  9. Master-Fett Force Ghost

star 6
    uhh i think i misunder stood you sorry :(
  10. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Actually I drained all of mine. You just lightly open the tin so that you hear the fsss sound. You then put a sharp object under the tab to make a slight opening.
    You then can it drain over night in the sink.
    There is a better, more advanced way but you will have to visit the Toronto forum for that remedy :)
  11. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    ...Or just get the SW Insider. :p
  12. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I had some Superbowl collector Coke cans in a special case, and I didn't know you were supposed to drain the cans, and one of the cans started to leak and messed up the special case. :(
  13. Abhors Elder Guest

One of my cans started to make a fine stickey ring on my shelf, so I drained them that night with the "poke 2 holes in the bottom" trick.

~Saber_Holder~
  14. darthvader2570 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Do you have any idea what issue it is in? Also, what is the "two hole trick"?
  15. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Basically every one of them. :p

Someone ALWAYS writes in about their TPM cans.
  16. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    Eh, I say forget the cans and just buy the chips with the characters on the bag....

You don't have to worry about your Doritos exploding on you!

On that subject, if you ever want to pull a long and mean joke on someone, tell 'em that the chip bags will be worth tons of ca$h someday, but only if they are NEVER OPENED!
    Buy an identical bag of chips, empty it, save the bag and wait...

After a couple of years, ask your friend about the chips, if he/she has 'em, buy a NEW bag of chips and fill your identical bag with the fresh chips... make comments about how you saw an identical bag on Ebay and they were worth MAJOR MONEY!
    Separate your friend from THEIR bag (have them leave the room) and sneak in YOUR opened identical bag and start eating them, when they return they will see you eating from their "expensive" bag of chips and hilarity ensues.

It would be really funny if you made a comment to the effect, "Eh, that freshness dating is crap, even after __ years these still taste pretty good!"
    :D
  17. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ^LOL! [face_laugh] Good one Punisher... you earned your name (Punisher) for that one!
  18. Lynora Jedi Knight

star 2
    Mike,s chips display lasted for about a week
    at which time a drunk bunch of hungry revelers approached his SW room and ate his chips :)
  19. jawamonkey Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Grey Jedi Knight

star 2
    wow i saw this topic and i got to thinking about my cans (that weren't drained) but now they magically are. all seem to be a nasty mess now.....
  21. PhantomMenace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    One of them evaporated on me, and it's weird because it was never opened. Gee, the power of nature.
  22. BushiFox Jedi Knight

star 1
    As far as the plastic bottles...You may have problems with those. My mom had some 2 liter coke bottles that exploded on here after about a year.

Some that started leaking for some reason.

I think glass is about the only safe bet.
  23. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Unless they fall.
  24. BushiFox Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heh. Ret. Well, I think thats a given for cans and plastic as well. A plastic bottle can break open from a fall and so can a can. I just meant from "its just sitting there, and its started leaking".
  25. LittleGreenMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Boy! Sorry to hear about all your cans leaking, sounds like a personal problem. :p Ok, That was pretty bad, [face_blush] I apologize. Seriously sorry about your problems with the Collectible cans :( And I thought dusting my figure collection was problematic! :) Never got into the can thing, just as well though, I have enough sticky soda stains in here as it is. :p I'm a bit sloppy!
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.