Padme Amidala Episode 1 Kimono Pre-Senate Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by SenatorChristina, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Okay, back from FIDM where I stared at this costume at length, as promised in the FIDM assignments thread.

This costume appeared to me to be 5 layers:

1. Berry two-tone silk taffeta underskirt (seafoam is the best name we could think of to describe the other, less obvious 'tone' with the berry colour - it wasn't really blue or green, but both-ish, if that makes sense)

2. Berry two-tone silk chiffon stitched skirt (also at the neckline, inner kimono fold) - same seafoam colour as the muted tone. The ridges in the crinkles/pleats are stitched. The hem of this layer appears uneven, but that could just be the way it hangs on that particular mannequin.

3. Off-white cloqué silk chiffon? underdress (including the fitted sleeve) - the extra detail around the 'puffs' in the fabric did not look to me to be embroidery, but paint, in a dull gold colour, very very faint. And they are, uh, 'furry'. I have no idea in the world how Trisha and Co. achieved that, but they have little white tufts coming off each dot (and they are tiny, like the blob off a small paintbrush). The cloqué fabric looked a little thicker in the weave than a chiffon, but it was still a very fine, light fabric. Not sure what it was exactly. You could get away with a chiffon if you figured out the cloqué-ing technique. It appears to be lined with a darker fabric - possibly the grey kimono fabric? Just guessing here.

4. Grey kimono - I agree with previous observations in this thread that it is grey with a lavender tone and a bit of a sheen to it. It looked thicker than a taffeta or dupioni, but I'm pretty sure it was still silk. The sleeves of this are not lined with the same fabric as the kimono, but with a lavender satin lining.

5. The key pattern obi. Heavy metallic woven fabric. My bet it's from India. Not sure what that would be called but I think padawansguide heard about a similar fabric used in one of Inara's Firefly costumes (Shindig gown? Maggie, did that fabric have a name?)

I think that is most of the information I observed, but if you have more questions Jauhzmynn, I'll do my best to answer them.
  2. Neimhaille Force Ghost

star 3
    Not everyone knows what fabrics are which, that's not a bad thing, just difficult when it comes to finding out what a fabric is. In this case the close up shots clearly show this to be a fabric woven with very definite slubs in it which takes it from being taffeta (though still a plain tabby weave) into something else.

There are still people who will mix up fibre and weave for instance. Satin is not a fibre, it can be made from silk, wool, linen, cotton and man made fibres. I've held wool satin, it reminded me of heavy nylon drapery fabric. I've seen linen-silk satin as well (the warp was silk the weft linen, so it was only visible from the back.)

Just as not every costumer knows every technical detail for every material (fabric, metals, plastics etc.)
  3. QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Lots of Pre-Senate image stuff at FIDM (besides the book)

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20051018.html
    Limited to 150 large (about 40x40 inches) silk scarves of Queen Amidala by local artist Cicely Gilman ($165)

[image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/20051018_picview/img/2.jpg]

I didn't see the scarves when I was at FIDM Gala, but I did buy the Amidala tee shirt: Amidala, Chewbacca, or Darth Vader FIDM t-shirts ($30 each)
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/20051018_picview/img/3.jpg]

and the 17x23-inch exhibit poster ($10)
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/20051018_picview/img/6.jpg]
  4. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    I looked at more photos and think it's only a 3 layer outfit not counting the Obi. The collar of the inner berry/rose colored layer looks to be a little thick. (Fabric folded over in half and sewed on) Same for the offwhite dress.

Thanks for the fabric tips. Anyone guess to the yardage for the grey kimono? I'd seen it from the back and it looks like a LOT of fabric. I figure it'd be OVER ten yards for the grey kimono alone.

I was thinking of making 3 separate dresses.

Dress/layer 1: The inner rose/berry. This one would be sleevless the bottom half being like a broomstick type.

Dress/layer 2: Offwhite crinkled cloque' silk dress. Maybe line it with the seafoam so it has that odd see through quality.

Dress/Layer3: grey/lavendar silk chiffon Kimono lined with lavendar china silk.

5. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    But don't forget about the skirt under the rose/berry chiffon skirt. That may also be what it is wrapped over/lined with to make it more opaque at the neckline. (Biba-Fett confirmed there is a skirt under the berry chiffon skirt - you might want to ask her about the neck section.)

surlygirlie, queenseamstress or QueenAmidalaEpI might be able to answer that question.
  6. QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I made my kimono using about 8 yards of fabric (about 2 yards x 2 for sleeves and about 2 yards x 2 for the front and back) , but mine is not full enough in back and does not have sweeping train. Because I only had the Vogue photo, of the costume, when I made mine; I had no back view and it was shown on a tall model, not petite Natalie Portman. My repro costume has a bunch of proportional problems due to the weird pose the model had and that the costume was too short for model.

That said, I would think about 10 to 11 yards because you need the fullness/train in back.
    FYI: This Butterick 3552 LOTR gown takes 12 to 13 yards total and it has similar sweeping train and sleeves that eat fabric for breakfast.
    http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B3552=x&TI=10013&page=7

Also:My skirt is also too short, but that was partly a design choice on my part. I didn't want to have to hold up my skirt to walk, so having it at just below ankle length lets me walk in it. The Kimono slightly drags the ground in back but since the front is pinned back it does not interfere with walking. I make all my historic dance gown ankle length in front, some hems just brush the floor in back, makes for easier no trip movement.
  7. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    So if that's the case. then the blue-ish/seafoam colored fabric is the 'lining' for the berry. Humm this is going to be interesting.
  8. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    The berry chiffon skirt fabric has a second tone to it, the seafoam. The underskirt is the same two shades, berry and seafoam, but in taffeta. The berry is the main colour seen, but given the angle you look at it and the lighting hitting it, you can see the subtle shading of the seafoam. That colour doesn't really show up in the first photo, but we could see it ourselves in the natural lighting. padawansguide and I agreed that seafoam was the best description for it. Kind of a blue/green/turquoise.

[image=http://sistersola.com/FIDM/sistersola-FIDM-2005-350.jpg]

[image=http://sistersola.com/FIDM/kimono-skirt.jpg]

9. Jedi_Jaina09 Jedi Padawan

Since I've made significant ear piece progress, I figured I'd post.

While looking for plastic easter eggs online, I came across these. They're chocolate/candy molds and are a lot thicker and more durable then regular plastic easter eggs. All I need to do is paint them gold.

[image=http://www.cakesbyjan.com/images/store/productimages/524/eggs%20plastic.jpg]
    [image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/sporter05/egg2.jpg]

For the grey/silver inlay design I'm using sculpey. First, I took really a really thin sheet of metal, and drew the naboo design on it with a sharpie. Then, using a ballpoint pen I re-drew over the design using plenty of pressure until the metal stretched, creating a 3D pattern. This became a mold for my sculpey.

[image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/sporter05/egg1.jpg]

Next, I patted a piece of fabric (actually a placemat) over the sculpey to give it a textured look. I baked the sculpey over a form made of tinfoil, and voila!

[image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/sporter05/egg3.jpg]

edit: fixed link/spelling
  10. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Those are coming along great Jedi-Jaina!
  11. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    The berry chiffon skirt fabric has a second tone to it, the seafoam. The underskirt is the same two shades, berry and seafoam, but in taffeta. The berry is the main colour seen, but given the angle you look at it and the lighting hitting it, you can see the subtle shading of the seafoam. That colour doesn't really show up in the first photo, but we could see it ourselves in the natural lighting. padawansguide and I agreed that seafoam was the best description for it. Kind of a blue/green/turquoise.

Humm, the plot thickness.;-D
    So I supposse the closest I'm going to get is a berry/turquoise taffeta. It's amazing what work had gone into this outfit.
  12. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    LOL - you don't know the half of it! Every half an hour or so we'd look at each other and shake our heads over the mind-boggling amount of tiny details on all the costumes, that never show up on screen, and barely even to the naked eye.

I already had immense admiration for Trisha Biggar, but I'm over the edge now. She rocks!
  13. QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    If Trisha Biggar does not get an Oscar nomination and win for costume design for EP III, the Academy is crazy. No other film required the amount of from scratch original costumes than SW:EP III. Costumes for humans, humanoids, all made to a couture level of workmanship. I didn't realize how incredible all the Palpatine robes were until I saw them in person. I hope lots of Academy votes go to the FIDM exhibit and see the costumes in person, so they can be as blown away by them as we are.
  14. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope she does get one. The costumes are beyound amazing.Now for mine Kimono, I think I'll put some hidden pokets in it. The Obi would be ablke to hold a room key, money. The big penguin sleeves, I might be able to hide a snack.:-D If not a 1/4 of the fridge contents. JK
  15. QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just put my hotel room key card, ID, and couple of paper $$ in the bottom of the Pengin sleeve. And I keep a few straws so I can drink water, etc. w/o messing up the lip line.
  16. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I've used the penguin sleeves as a purse as well.

The newest incarnation of this dress has much stiffer sleeves than the first one I made, so if I ever get the whole redo done, it'll be possible to carry a whole arsenal of weapons, lipsticks, books, and monkeys in those things. ;)

17. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    ROTFLMHO!!
    Monkeys.LOL
  18. Jedi_Jaina09 Jedi Padawan

It was a nice day, so I decided to walk home from work today. On the way, I passed a fabric store with a "closeout" sign in the window and I just couldn't resist. Almost the moment I walked in, I found this:

[image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/sporter05/fabric.jpg]

Sheer berry and turquoise crinkly fabric, what a coincidence :) Although it was closeout, it wasn't exactly cheap (8 marked down from 18) but today was payday and I simply couldn?t resist. It's not as deep a color as the color in the photos Sister Sola posted, but it's almost an exact match to the color in this great picture from padawan's guide.

I see a skirt/collar redo in my future...
  19. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    Very pretty fabric find.
  20. QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've made a few new posts about fabric and patterns over at Rebel Legion board, see: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=23&TopicID=3355
  21. Neimhaille Force Ghost

star 3
    Sigh... I went fabric window shopping yesterday and found several fabric which were very close, but no cigar. I think I'll wind up just ovredying some shot fabric I already have to make this one after all;)

I found a violet and hot pink shot Thai silk fabric (it was a shantung, but just labelled Thai) the texture and depth of light/shade was perfect. Just totally wrong colours. ANd it was a remnant;)

hen in the curtain section fabric for $NZ3/m! One fabric was perfect, except the colours were off just enough to not be right. One was a pinky beige shot with mid purple. Just a touch paler and greyer and it would have been ideal. It was a short piece as well though:( Matching fabrics in a sea green/mid purple and buttery yellow/lilac were also there, and again just not quite right. ANd not able to be altered enough for the right colour.

I'm going to use the fabric under my saree here:
    [image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/ab2.jpg]
    I can overdye it with some black and possibly purply/maroon to tone it to the right sahde. Luckily polyester does colour subtley anyway;)
    This is a mystery fabric, it's got a bit of a firm hand, but is not stiff, reflect light back softly, but the warp is a nylon monofilimant so it creates very bright highlights in good light. The weft is a heavier less glossy thread.

And I found a stall that sells beaded flowers with long strands. They would have been perfect for the headdress..easy to remove from the flower, larger beads in the strand, the loops at the bottom.... except they are not pearlescent, just plain white. It owuld have saveed so much beading;)
  22. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh my the Saree is beautiful. That's the sort of clothing I enjoy wearing.
  23. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the links, It's very cool to see costumers willing to help another make an excellent gown. Thank you.
  24. Linnea Jedi Padawan

Okay, looking thru' the entire archive of Padmé dresses on Padawans Guide, I decided to try this one.. The Pre-Senate Dress..

Just out of curiosity, how much time did you use on your costume??
  25. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay - I've started work on the headpiece itself. Beading is on hold - it drives me crazy. I'm probably going to enlist the help of friends to get those silly strands done. EEK!!

Anyhoo, I have a test earpiece being shaped out of papier mâché. I'm using a simple plastic egg-shape stitching form, wrapped in plastic-wrap, for the mold. I must admit, it's a slow process, since I'm letting each layer dry before applying a new one. But I also wondered if Star magazine would ever be more useful than just a good crossword puzzle in the back. ;) Paris Hilton's never looked so good than as a paper strip!

Here's some pics:

general shape
    side view - it leans on the plastic wrap bunched in the back.
    stitch form - acting as the mold.
    materials

While researching papier mâché, I came across some great tips for making it solid, too. I believe it was a puppeteering site that I was reading, and it said to use gesso for finishing and smoothing the final product, and making it hard as a rock, before painting. So, hopefully this will work!
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.