main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode 1 was great... right?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Alomanuma_Topha, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I wish Lucas had kept the longer cut of the Eopiee fart in the final cut of TPM. You can still find it in the extended pre race footage cut scenes. The fart itself is longer, and there is a huge buildup to it where you can see the wheels turning in the Eopiee's head just before he lets it go.

Go-Mer that is possibly the scariest thing I've ever seen you say! :p

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    ...and I really hope it was sarcasm. ;) :p

3. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    To tell you the truth, normally your first reaction is what you really feel about the movie. Stick by your guns and love it for what it was. I think perhaps the main reason you found yourself disliking it was because of the bad word of mouth you read from reviews and what people were saying. Truth to be told, the flaws you mentioned is the same flaws pointed out by common gushers turned bashers. I have read many posts recently about ROTJ where people said "Before I went to this forum I never saw the flaws of ROTJ, till people pointed it out" and its true. I swore Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a flawless movie up till I was 17. that was 7 years of believing that. Then some people who never liked the movie told me its flaws, and I started to see them. But what did I do? I stuck to my guns. Was it because I wanted to be blind? No not at all. I was never blind to begin with. What I saw is what I saw. What I felt when I saw the movie is how I feel. Why turn a positive experience into a bad one? Why have a "glass half empty" feeling now?

See, I respect a lot of the opinions of the so called "bashers" because FROM THE VERY START they disliked the movie. Guys like Binary_Sunset, Darth Stryphe, JohnWilliams00, all have went with their first reaction. And I respect that. They stuck to their guns. I hate seeing opinions like "I LOVED IT I LOVED IT" only to see it turn to "I HATE IT I HATE IT!". I think AOTC has had a severe degree in this where I read SO MANY people praise the movie, then before you know it, they are naming the same flaws and bashing the same things. Now that I dont respect. And its not because they suddenly dislike a movie I like. No. Its their lack of individuality. I kinda find it a weak attribute to change your opinion because others tell you whats what. I mean really, guys like Binary, JohnWilliams, CeeJay, THEY WISHED they coulda seen a movie they loved out of the prequels. Thats why they hang around these forums, not because they just hate it with a passion, they WANTED to like these movies, but for the flaws they saw from the START, they didn't like it. And here some people have the gift of enjoyment, and they prefer to rip their own good fun with something just because someone else whom may be a peer tells 'em otherwise. Thats why I like the "bashers". So many gushers tried to change these guys' dislike of the prequels, but they wouldn't have it. They had the attitude of "I saw what I saw and it was crap." I love that! I mean sure, I like the new SW movies, but c'mon, I would hate it if EVERYONE agreed with me.

Let me tell you guys something I accidently jumpstarted, which practically proved bad word of mouth can make people believe in flaws they don't see. Recently I was just joking about Haldir's death in Two Towers. A bunch of guys at my work who were big movie buffs were discussing Haldir (the elf who died in Helm's Deep battle) and HOW powerful his death was because he saw the elves die in battle, or something like that. I joked "c'mon guys, thats a load of crap. Haldir was such a thrown in death and it was done poorly. I mean really, we only got to know him through ONE scene in Fellowship, and he was a jerk. How should I feel any sympathy towards some elf with an overblown death scene" That wasn't my exact quote, but it was very close to that. Anyway, they defend it a little, and I stick with my lil wisecrack, and that was that. A few months later, Return Of the King comes out, and they talk about a characters death (I won't reveal who, as you may have not seen the movie) and these SAME guys were talking about how cool his death scene was. And one of them said "Yeah, unlike that horrible Haldir scene. Peter Jackson sure milked his death" Suddenly they all say "Yeah I know man" And instantly I was like "I thought you guys liked that death scene?" They tell me all the stuff I said to them, which really made me kinda bothered. Is it that easy to sway a group, let alone, one person's opinion? Of course I was like "For real guys, if you liked the

4. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    EPISODE I was great, right! [face_mischief]

5. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Oligquidrusho, I also hate it when when gushers turn into bashers, and I used to make fun of them for it. But then I did the same thing with ROTK. I had thought the first two LOTR were mediocre, but I LOVED ROTK the first time I saw it. However, the second time I saw it it did not seem that great. Once I got past the sheer spectacle of the movie, the second time I saw it I only saw the flaws and nothing good. Some bashers liked the prequels at first only because of the spectacle. Once the spectacle wore off, there was nothing there for them to enjoy. Unfortunately for them, they never saw the great stuff of the prequels that lasts forever. Oddly enough, even though I liked AOTC the first time I saw it, I was somewhat underwhelmed. But as I went to see it again and again and again, I started to like it more and more. Now it is my second favorite SW film. Just out of curiosity, would you respect bashers if they started to like the prequels? By the way, CeeJay DID like AOTC the first time he saw it. I think he even ranked it as equal to ANH for months.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I swore Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a flawless movie up till I was 17.

Hey, the first TMNT movie is a damn good flick, for what it is.

Not Citizen Kane, but really, I'm impressed a movie about slang-talking pizza-loving turtles turned out so darn good and (yes!) emotionally resonant.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    See, I respect a lot of the opinions of the so called "bashers" because FROM THE VERY START they disliked the movie. Guys like Binary_Sunset, Darth Stryphe, JohnWilliams00, all have went with their first reaction. And I respect that.

Ah, well thanks for thinking of me, but I did not hate the movie when I saw it, still don't hate it. When I first saw it, I enjoyed it, however, I made fun of the utter lack of continuity and would complain about the pacing (in TPM) from time to time. As such, I was labeled a basher.

AOTC is a little different story, but - anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight so that I did not get any undue credit.

Oligquidrusho, I also hate it when when gushers turn into bashers, and I used to make fun of them for it. But then I did the same thing with ROTK.

Well, that's not the same thing. You changed your mind after a second viewing. Lots of people do that. However, being a fan of something for months and then changing your mind is something else entirely. Though I won't complain about people doing this. I just found it odd that so many bashers loved AOTC and then changed their minds.

8. ClumsyAsIAmStupid

ClumsyAsIAmStupid Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2004
    TPM has virtually nothing of what made Star Wars great. To be fair it had some good action and special effects, and Ewan's Alec Guinness impersonation was pretty well done, but the dialogue was at best forgettable and the acting pretty silly, and not in a fun, in the spirit of the movie kind of way. When I try and remember great moments and lines from the OT literally dozens just pop into my head, when I do the same for the PT, admittedly only two movies so far instead of three, nothing comes.

9. oLiquidRusho

May 8, 2002
    My point was for the most part, you stuck with your criticisms of the films. I don't really mind it much, but I think I shoulda added something to my long post. Basically I saw the original poster added "Please convince me to like TPM again" Thats what I should've clarified. I mean really, can't we just figure out for ourselves? What makes you feel better? Liking it or disliking it? Once you do go with it. Normally the first reaction is how someone wants to feel about it, so I say, it never hurts to love something. As for what you said RPEUGH I always respect someone in here I think, or I intend to, but respecting opinions is a different matter for me. If they changed their opinion to like it, I'd be mighty curious why they suddenly changed their mind. And plus I like the fact some people disagree with me. I'd be happy I guess cuz then finally they'd feel better as I always feel the positive outlook is always healthier than a negative one I guess. I think the number one thing would be "don't change your dislike!!! I like disagreeing!" =)

10. oLiquidRusho

May 8, 2002
    "Ah, well thanks for thinking of me, but I did not hate the movie when I saw it, still don't hate it. When I first saw it, I enjoyed it, however, I made fun of the utter lack of continuity and would complain about the pacing (in TPM) from time to time. As such, I was labeled a basher."

I actually meant the critique of the film. I'm aware of your feelings about the movie as I read a lot of your posts on TPM, thats why I quoted the word basher, as I felt some of the guys in the Bashers Sanctuary weren't necessarily bashers, just guys who discussed the flaws of the movie, which is fine. Heck, I go in the Basher's Sanctuary a lot, and I dig the prequels a lot. Besides to be honest, I never read many of your AOTC posts . . . how did you feel about that movie?

11. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I think all this problem with one stupid fart joke is really picky. C'mon you are going to let a 5 sec fart joke ruin a movie for you. C'mon. There has been other fart jokes in other movies. Geez get a grip.

12. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    oLiquidRusho great post. Your right to stick with your guns. Don't worry about what other people say. :)

13. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Come on, you bashers - you all say you hate Jar-Jar so much, but the moment he gets a face full of gas, you're all up in arms about it! :p

14. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I have yet to see you actually make a post without challenging or bullying the other side. Can you post about the topic, not the posters?

As the years go by, I find Episode I's direction to be sometimes dull, sometimes awkward. There are a few nice images and a cool lightsaber fight at the end. The Tatooine scenes and the Jedi Council scenes are the slowest parts of the movie for me.

15. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    The title of this thread speaks volumes.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    How so?

17. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    Even right after the midnight showing in 99 I thought The Phantom Menace was one of the worst movies I had ever seen.

I don't see why you have to like it if you're a Star Wars fan. But the one thing I will say is don't be swayed by what other people say. If you like the movie don't be ashamed by it, if you don't like it don't try to convince yourself otherwise.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Well, unless you want to like it of course.

19. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    You know, Go-Mer, anytime you go down that path, I can always bring up the Alien 3 rebuttal [face_mischief]

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I freely admit I don't want to like Alien 3. :)

21. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    Well, unless you want to like it of course.

But why would you want to like something that you don't readily like? I don't understand why anybody would want to do that.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Well let's say you are fan of the other films in the series for example. You may want to like the newer installments.

I would think most people who fit this criteria would at least examine their issues with the film and attempt to see things in a better light.

Take ROTJ for example. I had some real problems with the Ewoks. I couldn't stand them and I always thought ROTJ the least of the series because of them.

After coming to this site and seeing the reasons everyone else had for loving them, I was able to change my mind. It turned out I didn't actually hate the Ewoks, it was just my misunderstanding of them.

23. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I also hate it when when gushers turn into bashers"

Well everyone knew me as the Gusher Zealot that would stop at nothing to remove the Bashers from this forum. I am curious, what do you hate about it? :confused:

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think that is a subject better left alone.

25. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    What Strilo said.

I freely admit I don't want to like Alien 3.

I know. Why did you choice to hate it when you could have loved it?

There in-lies the answer not everyone feels the way you do about TPM or AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.