main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode 2 1/2 clarified

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ep2andahalf, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ep2andahalf

ep2andahalf Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2002
    Everyone who thought the idea sounded impossible is right to a certain extent. The size of the project is solely dependent on the number of people who help out. Also, I have no delusions of making and ILM quality, film resolution 200 min. epic. The animation would be crude, the models would lack certain details, and the resolution would be low (web film size). But after seeing the lack of effort that was put into the cut-screens for Jedi Knight 2, I figured the SW Community wouldn?t nit-pick.

For those who question my personal qualifications, I am an 3D animation and Effects Artist with 8 years industry experience. I have trained with some of the pioneers of Computer Animation and have worked with some of the biggest studios and effects houses in the industry. I appreciate that some people are skeptical, I think the odds are against me being able to pull this off even if I get a lot of help.

And yes, I have a story. But the whole point of this project it to lots of people together to make a collaborative film. So again, If you want to help out, email me at ep2andahalf@hotmail.com .

EDIT: Last line removed. Not a very classy recruitment style!

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It was all going well until the last line.

You're not gonna make friends or recruit team members when you obviously don't know how to communicate within a community.

Hint: implications of the type you made = not good.

EDIT: Took it down a notch.

M. Scott

3. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    Try not to take it personally, Ep. You have to understand that these guys here such announcments all too often and they're mostly being made by kids who don't really realize the amount of work that goes into these projects. I understand that their comments were harsh and sometimes I wish they'd be a bit more diplomatic about such things.

Didn't exactly take the opprotunity to be a bit better about, tho. How about you start over and show these guys some of what you've done and what you're thinking of doing.

4. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Such projects always sound amazing form the idea itself but tend to not work out all that well...

Though that´s not what I´m wanting to write about. I also think you should post some more information and MOST IMPORTANTLY post some of your work. Some nice pictures, videos, animations, whatever helps to show the others here on the board what you´re up to.
    Try to supply them with as much information as possible so they get a clear picture and can easier decide if this project is worth giving it a try. Some bold words won´t change much here, people need some proofs of talent before joining a project of this scale.

5. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Dorkman, what are you talking about? :p

;)
    Kyle

6. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I think it also didn't help much that the initial post amounted to "I have this great idea for a story...would someone else like to write it for me?"
    There's a lot of folks whose initial posts sound a lot like that: "I want to make a fan film, but I don't have equipment or experience. Who wants to do the hard work for me?" is what they amount to. If those posts aren't derided, they're ignored, usually, or pointed to the FAQs.
    And, yes, there's a lot of people who start out with "I'm going to make the best fan film ever and it'll blow away anything anyone has ever seen!", which is nice and all, but almost never has any basis in fact. It's usually the loud mouthed bragging of teenagers who don't know what they're getting themselves into.

So...if the responses you got weren't particularly to you taste it's because, wittingly or not, you pushed a lot of commonly pushed buttons around here.

7. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Well said RocketGirl.

We see these posts here far too often to not respond like we do sometimes. Besides, alot of people are currently working on projects, myself included, and it is hard enough to find time to do that let alone do others. I think if I were going to try to enlist help from people here, especially with 8 years 3D background, I would be showing my reel to everyone so they would know I was not full of it. No offenese EP, but you gotta show what you have done before anyone will ever take you seriously. You have a total of 3 posts and shown nothing.

Let's see what you got...

8. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001

I dunno, a guy who has that kind of experience, who uses Maya, who wants to do something nice with a lot of people.

It really doesn't seem too difficult to e-mail him and find out what's up.

Takes all of 5 seconds and if later you come to the conclusion that this thing "aint gonna happen" you can always go back to whatever you were doing before you happened upon his thread.

Seems a lot quicker and easier than jumping all over him.

9. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    On the flip side, a guy with that kind of experience really wouldn't have to come to a place like this looking for help, either.

10. mpfjr

Sep 8, 2001
    Oh no? He is only one guy. You think all his contacts in the industry want to take time out of their busy lives to make a Star Wars fan film with him?

Where do you think he should go to find like-minded individuals who offer him the best shot and gathering up a team of people to supplement his talents and get his film made?

11. Tri-Som_Gare

Sep 22, 2000
    I dunno, seems to me that if he has all that experience, with Maya no less, he would know that people are going to want to see what he is doing.

Also notice, he makes the post, then never says anything else. I for one would like to see what he has done, but he shows nothing. That is what bothers me about these posts. I am not ripping into him at all, just asking for the stuff he should be supplying is all.

12. mpfjr

Sep 8, 2001
    I dunno, seems to me that if he has all that experience, with Maya no less, he would know that people are going to want to see what he is doing.
    I disagree with this. I own an autobody shop and all day long I work on cars. At the end of the day I don't want to look at another car. However, if I am working on my own car, I somehow find the motivation.
    When a good and dear friend wants my help on doing something on their car, I suddenly find that I have no extra time to help them. Unless they are a cute girl ;)

With the rest of what you said I agree and I'd like to see something as well. But in all honesty I think I want to see what he can do only for the pleasure of seeing something really professional looking and not so much as proof. :)

But yah, a general outline of his story as well as a small 10 second clip of something original he has done would go a long way in attracting more people.

-Mike

13. Tri-Som_Gare

Sep 22, 2000
    I think you misunderstood what I said with my comment. It was meant that he says he has 8 years of experience with a very expensive program, yet he does not show anything he has done with it. That was my point. Show your reel. If he has been doing it that long, he HAS to have a reel.

Psst....EP2, you got a reel? Or better yet, how about commenting on all this discussion regarding you. If you are really looking for help, you should be interjecting all over the place in here. I hope this is not coming off rude, or bad because that is not my intention. I am just asking the obvious questions.

Gare

14. ep2andahalf

Aug 12, 2002
    You all make good points. I'm not looking for only top line animators, the whole point was to get everybody in on the project and do what they can offer. And for my co-workers, the few I've told think I'm insane.

Thanks to all of you that have been defending the project. (I have pretty thick skin, although the "newbe" thing did hurt, I've been using a computer for 20 years). Alot of fans like the idea of a community fan film. And really that's what it is. I have a basic idea for a story but I want every one to contribute rather than me telling people what to do. Do you think anyone would help out if I were asking for slave labor for my own personal glory?

Again, to help out, email me at ep2andahalf@hotmail.com

15. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I have pretty thick skin, although the "newbe" thing did hurt, I've been using a computer for 20 years

Oh, don't feel bad...how long you've been using a computer doesn't matter...you're a board newbie. On some boards I know, you're a noob until you have a thousand posts...at least!

Just be glad this isn't SpaceBattles, where it's standard practice to get out the Newbie Poking Sticks when someone first joins the board! :D

16. Tri-Som_Gare

Sep 22, 2000
    Good comments EP2. You do sound genuine. However, projects like these have been brought up and tried around here and they are difficult to say the least. That is why you were welcomed with the comments you got. You may have 20 years on a comp, but here you are a noob. That is not a bad thing as we were ALL noob's at one time. You just need to learn the etiquette at this board. Everyone here is usually very helpful, just we have seen ALOT of these types of posts from new people coming here for the first time. Again, not a bad thing. I do wish you luck on this endeavor!

BTW, DO you have a reel? :)

Gare

17. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    well, most people consider you a n00b until you have made at least 1 fan film... and under that definition nearly half of this board is filled with newbies, even many of the 'veteran' board members and myself. ;)

18. ep2andahalf

Aug 12, 2002
    Thanks, guys.

Alot of people have been asking to see samples of my work and to know what films I've worked on and so forth. Once the project gets off the ground I'll get a site up with both my work and sample art for the project.

19. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    I'm sorry to say that I think you're lying about all your experience. If you really were a industry animator who was trained by the pioneers of CG and special effects you would of identified yourself, told us which companies you had worked for, and you wouldn't be scrounging around here for help from amateur CGers (I'll admit some around here are good, but on the whole, we're amateurs).

I just don't believe you. I say put up some examples including mesh, show us your name in the credits somewhere, or stop lying.

-Kol.

20. GizmoMkI

GizmoMkI Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    If he is an industry professional it's possible his trade union might look down on this sort of activity, which would be one reason to use an assumed name.

21. Corn_Free_Ta

Corn_Free_Ta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    I think you all are being a little to small town, like the townsfolk in Footloose. I think Mr. Episode2andahalf has asked for any and all help from all angles, would it not be best to offer him help? It seems like a big task, and 2005 seems a bit fast hard to make all this come true, 3 years is a long time. If you feel burnt out about too many people coming on these forums starting a project and not finishing it why take the time to put a rock in the gears before they even turn. There are many false starts in all endeavors, I do not know Mr. Ep2andahalf, but I extend a hand of help, and best of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.