main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Episode 2 Thoughts - Ratings

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by RogueSquadronWingnut, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    I've created this thread so that over the next couple of days we can all post our own original thoughts about the movie here and give it our personal rating. I ask only that this thread not be read by anyone who hasnt seen it yet so we dont spoil it.

2. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    *****SPOILERS DO NOT READ BELOW******

Now onto my personal opinion. I gave it a solid *** but I found certain areas lacking. 1-The romantic pickup lines were so corny they couldnt help preschoolers pick up dates at ring around the rosie time.
    2-The arena fight scene was great, I just wish we coulda seen Plo Koon kick some butt too. He is my favorite Jedi after all.
    3-The Death Star? Hello! According to the books the Death Star was designed by Bevel Lemelisk who had a cool looking machine eye in all of his sketches. A hope for Episode 3 :)
    4- The First Star Destroyers Rule! Clone Troopers kinda freaked me out. I know inside they are all Jango Fett but couldnt the cloners have mixed up the voices a little?

Overall, I can see myself sneaking away on Saturdays and Sundays for at least a month to see it more times hehehe

BTW--Anyone Notice the Landspeeder in the workshop behind Anakin during Anakins outburst after the Sandpeople Massacre? Look Again..

3. wicketSKA

wicketSKA Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2002
    all i can say is...WOW! it blew away tpm, and really sets up ep3 well. hayden and ewan were brilliant, and you really begin to see annakin's dark side, especially on tatooine.

my only complaints are:
    1) it's only 2 1/2 hours
    2) it's a little slow to begin, and the opening dialogue is pretty flat.
    3) it will make you long for ep.3 that much more.

other than that, 10 OUT OF 10!

4. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I had no real big problems with anything in this film. I thought the Dialog and its execution was fine. I have no clue what the critics are talking about. Like any Star Wars movie there are things in it that are confusing or do not make sense even after several viewings. Besides several of these things and other things seeming to be out of place in the SW Galaxy I give it a 9 and liked this film as much as I liked Ep.1. In fact, for a lot of the same reasons. Its not better its just as good. It was great. I give it only a 9 because I find it hard to give any movie a perfect score. I think the novel will help clarify a lot of things for me.

5. Mazer-Rackham

Mazer-Rackham Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001
    ***********Spoilers*********

The movie was a lot better than TPM. But not as good as the OT. I loved obi wan and how he and anikin bickerd all the time. The dialog needed work. And the whole love story was way too cheesy. I laughed when padme confessed her love to anikin. And the imperial march playing when he told padme of his killing spree. Priceless. Also at the end more imperial march. gotta love it. Overall i give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

and did anyone else find it funny when padme was laying in the sand when she fell out of the ship and was moaning and sounded in pain, and when the clone trooper asked if she was ok that out of nowhere she was like "yeah im fine" and got right up after seeming like she was hurt badly.

**********spoilers**********88

6. jedi_lingster

jedi_lingster Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001
    I CAN'T WAIT FOR EP3!!!!!

7. CaptainAlex1

CaptainAlex1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2001
    I thought the movie was very good. In defense of the dialog in the romantic periods of the film I offer the following for your consideration...people do say some corny and mushy stuff when they are in love. I mean if Anakin and Padme were displaying their love with Shakesphere like language people would be complaining just as much. I thought it worked in the film just fine.

As for the rest..just great. Excellent displays of Anakin's future...I imagine if they showed his crazy rampage through the Sandpeople's camp the movie may have gotten a higher rating than PG.

Yoda!Yoda!Yoda! Wow!
    The jedi in action was worth it alone. Obi-Wan's character has grown and his best dialog was in the bar. Mace...just what I expected! The Jedi training center scene was cute, and enjoyable.

No complaints by me. I thought the movie had excellent an setup for its plot points, and it progressed at a good speed. As for the whole death star thing I'm sure some writer somewhere will gel the whole thing between the books and the movies.

Now to go see it in Pittsford on Monday with THX sound. The sound at Culver Ridge was ok.
    -Alex

8. Paul_B

Paul_B Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    Saw it 2X today... both times at Pittsford. The sound and projection is AMAZING! The colors are so vibrant and the audio is top notch. I just love that theater!

Anyway... I noticed some easter eggs during the second viewing...
    1- The Millenium Falcon(s) on Naboo as the transport vehicle lands.
    2- George Lucas in one of the senate pods (thx to Kim for confirming that)

I did find the battle scenes to be a bit overwhelming... sometimes less is more.

I still have a problem with the way GL directs his movies... his editing is flawed and some scenes could use better points of reference and more close-ups.

I didn't mind the sappy love story... after all, Anakin is only in his late teans early 20's... young love is rather sappy at times.

All during the film I kept thinking that GL wrote this story with a video game mentality... so many scenes lend themselves well to a Play Station type of game. I can't wait to play it!

PB

9. wicketSKA

wicketSKA Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2002
    is it just me, or did anyone else think that anakin's scenes on tatooine were brilliant. the scene following his mother's death and with padme in the workshop were incredibly haunting, and the look on his face was pure evil. in my opinion, two of the best scenes i've ever seen, and DEFINITELY on par with, if not better than, ESB.

10. Arwyn

Arwyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    now you all are going to kill me...but i didn't like it, i'd give it a 5 out of 10...let me explain...i felt no chemistry between Hayden and Natalie, their lines seemed forced and wooden, it was like watching a high school play, made me cringe...the Obi-Wan side of the movie was more interesting, Ewan has definately grown into this role...the CGI was great but left me longing for the OT when everything was more tangible...the Jango and Boba Fett realtionship was good, i wish that Jake Lloyd had been as good as that kid...the coolest part of the movie is the last half hour when we finally get to see the jedi in action, but the 2 hours leading up to it was strange, with all the fades going between the 2 stories i felt like i was watching a series of comercials a couple minutes here-switch-a couple there-switch
    so i'd give it a 5 because the CGI was pretty good, the jedi kicked major arse(Yoda...and Chris Lee did ok with what little screen time he had)...but the dialogue was bad and horribly delivered(Ewan had some bright spots but that was it), and there was nothing between Hayden and Natalie...i left feeling like this was just another movie to push the story along so we could get to Ep.III were all hell is supposed to break loose

you're all gonna flame the hell out of me now aren't ya

11. Qui-GonJohn

Qui-GonJohn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2001
    Paul B - Did you actually LIKE the CG in this film.??? I think ILM needs to go back to "school" or hire some new people. I have seen far better CG in other films that have not been done by ILM recently and this movie had some good spots, but also has some very bad spots. you can tell when a different crew worked on a scene or a scene was rushed to completion. IN my opinion, if you have to rush a scene so it isn't on par with the rest of the scenes, then either cut the scene or delay the films release until it is done. and still .. most CG characters look aweful IF you have to see their flesh. CG skin does not work in ILM. ... they should try a new approach to their CG skin technique.

RogueSquadronWingnut - thanx for what you said on the west coast forum .. I appreciate that.

Everyone else - I liked it overall .. the film is good with lots of action, bit I agree with Arwyn on the cuts in this film .. it's too quick and doesn't stay long on any scene at any one time. ROTJ had multiple story lines going on at the same time, and the cuts worked ok because you were on one scene for more than 1 minute. I bet if you timed some of the scene jumps on this film, you'd come up with some 1 minute, cut, 1 minute, cut back, 1 minute cut, 1 minute, cut back, .. sheesh .. at least thats what it fealt like. Not even TV sitcoms do this many cuts in the time allowed. It was a bit overwhelming at times. But that's what you "have" to do when you put so much into a film and want to make it less than 3 hours long. .. but in this case a 3 hour star wars film would have made lot much more enjoyable than all these cuts.

I didn't like how there was not much battle with the clones. .. this is what I was refering to as being mislead. a lot of people out here I know, see my point also. The movie was called attack of the clones, but we actually only see the start of this. (I guess)

The death star reference was a bit much. what, does it take them 30 more years to build it? .. well maybe building a station that big really does take 30 years, and it is still in testing in ANH, so maybe. But didn't it only take like 5 years to build the second one to where it was able to fire it's main weapons??? OR was there more time between ANH and ESB than 5 years??? .. maybe they don't start working on the death star right away and it doesnt get made for another 20 years .. I don't know. - maybe they should have waited until EIII to put in the death star references.

overall it is a good film, it fits in the saga, and I liked it a lot and will see it again. Everyone should see it, but there are some serious issues I have with it .. I really think ILM needs to "rethink their ink" on the CG fleshy characters .. they have the ships, armor, and battles down good .. now work on the flesh .. I have seen it done in other films, by other studios, so don't tell me the technology isn't there.

well thats my "2 cents" .. see ya !!

12. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    I'm not going to flame you. :D You're entitled to your opinion (though some people I've met on the boards don't seem to think so :p ). Personally, I liked it quite a bit. It's definately an improvement over TPM and I'm hesitating as to whether it's better than ROTJ. The movie had bad and good parts. I loved the signs of Anakin's turning to the Dark Side... :D Yoda was a bit too unbelievable while he was dueling, but I guess that part was ok. The Force lightning part was cool. :D

13. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    La Dee Da Dee Da I'm going back to the Brockport DTS Strand tonight to see it again but for all of you multiple timers going back yet again to see the movie, I'd thought I throw in a few more of my ungodly tidbits.

1 - I'm going to look for the Millenium Falcon Paul B lol

2 - During the Tattooine scene in the garage after the Sandpeople Slaughter...notice the landspeeder thats in pieces in the background and think of Luke in Ep4...

3 - Episode 1 was 30 years before Episode 4...Episode 2 was 10 years after Episode 1 so wouldnt that make its correct time frame 20 years before Episode 4? Factor in the books, They would need to build the Maw Installation, build a prototype, test the prototype and then begin general construction that would be marred by heavy setbacks till Vader took over and straightened it out. Also for ROTJ, that Death Star was far from finished if you figure finishing the shell and then filling it all in with hallways and rooms and stuff.
    Just An Idea

-Wingnut
    Hey, how do you join the Wraiths or Rogue Squadrons for the Club? I see them in a few signature sections. If I cant get into any of those I'm starting the Bounty Hunter Guild.

14. Paul_B

Jun 27, 2001
    After 3 viewings... here's my additional comments:

There were some CGI shots that I felt were cheesey... anytime a charatcer was on a beast (Anakin in the meadow, Anakin,Padme and Obi-Wan on the Reek, etc)... The beasts looked fine, but the interaction between them and real actors looked fake. They should tweak those scenes for the DVD... they just don't look finished.

I thought the speeder chase through coruscant was amazing! The F/X was top notch there!

The cloners looked great. Their lip-sync was dead on... and the amount of detail and texture mapping on them was awesome... same with Yoda.

Why they used CGI clonetroopers in close-up shots is beyond me... put a guy in a suit of armor for those shots. Makes it look more real.

Lots of people didn't like the zooming camera effects... I liked it! I thought it was used tastefully... it could have been overdone, but for the scenes it was used, it worked. Felt like a documentary of a real war... added to the realism. Nice touch.

I wasn't impressed with Christopher Lee... he wasn't menacing enough for me. I thought he was boring and underplayed.

Finally realized that those sphere ships are the center parts of the federation droid control ships... I didn't make that connection the first 2 times I saw it... at one point you can spot the spheres docking into the outer rings of the federation ships.

That's all for now... I'll prolly have more to say later...

PB

15. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    WARNING DO NOT GO TO THE BROCKPORT STRAND
    The Picture is ALREADY Graining, The Sound is putrid and the seats are made of various spikes and remnants of medieval torture devices stolen from the history department.

Onto the Movie...
    Still Cant Find the Millenium Falcon?
    I found George Lucas..Figures he'd want to be in that seen.

Just a thought...When Padme kissed Anakins cheek in the Arena scene, isnt it reminiscint of the kiss for luck during Episode 4 before the Death Star Swing scene?

16. Paul_B

Jun 27, 2001
    The Falcons are on Naboo... just as the transportation vessel is landing with Anakin and Padme aboard. Look left/center... the ships are either loading or unloading cargo. I have a still picture that shows them. I can post it if you you still can't spot them in the flick.

The Regal Culver-Ridge sound is TERRIBLE! I could not believe how bad it was... there was no surround sound what-so-ever! I was totally disappointed... what a waste.

PB

17. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2002
    Here's my take:

I played hooky from work on Thursday afternoon & saw AOTC at Tinseltown with my friend (& future best man) Rob & his wife Chris. Walked into Theater 9 about 1/2 hour before the movie started, & the place was over half full for a 2:30 showing. Sat in front of a rowdy group of college kids, one of whom got the place rolling by shouting "Yoda! Yoda! Yoda!" like John Belushi at a Greek frat house party; it was cute the first time, but lost its lustre after about the fourth or fifth time during the previews. Luckily, everyone got quiet when the 20th Century Fox logo blared on the screen.

The flick was well worth the anticipation and the $5.75 I plunked down for it. There wasn't much to gripe about, other than (to me anyways), it seemed like Anakin & Padme fell in love quicker than a bar couple five minutes before closing time. Padme was fending off Anakin's advances one minute, and then ready to go pick out living room furniture with him the next.

As Paul stated before, I was also disturbed by the beast/human interaction scenes. They seemed very "off", like detail was lost in the person riding the beast. It also seemed weird in any Threepio CGI scene as well; his movements were very "off".

But, those things aside, I enjoyed this roller-coaster of a movie a lot. I loved the amount of different ships & transportation shown in the battle scenes & on Coruscant.

Oh yeah, the overstatement of the year... Yoda kicked ARSE! Easily the one of the best (if not THE best) lightsaber battles ever fought.

I'll have more later... I've only seen it once! ;-)

18. Qui-GonJohn

May 23, 2001
    yeah I guess you are right about the death star .. ok thats ok now.

The beast thing is sort of what I mean about CG creatures .. maybe it's not the skin thats off, but maybe it's the interaction. I just know something was "wrong" there .. that could be it. It was enough for me to "tell it was CG" and I want CG that I have to question wether it's CG or not. There are a lot of films out there where I had no clue I was looking at CG, when In fact I was looking at CG.

I can think of Pearl Harbor for example. There is some scenes where people are sliding off a boat that is sinking. I thought there was a real boat set and real people sliding off the sinking prop boat, but in fact the whole entire scene was CG, the boat, the people, and even the water. Everything matches so perfectly with the live shots that I never even knew I was looking at CG, until I saw the "making of" thingy. Now that's the type of CG that should have been in this film. IF it can be done for one film, they should be able to do it for Star Wars. - heck sometimes I think the blue hairy thing in Monster's Inc was better than some of the SW creatures - and that's supposed to be "cartoonish".

I just am also still wondering why it's called "attack of the clones" when it seems they barely attacked anything???????? I think it should have been named separatists or something .. then name EIII something with clones next time. did anyone else want more or wonder this same thing?????

Well I am breaking for a few days, then seeing it again on Monday or Tuesday.

thanx for all the great coments here .. it's fun reading them. I havn't seen the falcon or George .. but I'll look for them now that I know where they are - thanx.

19. Qui-GonJohn

May 23, 2001
    well I went and saw it a few more times.

Now that I have seen it a couple times I have to say this. There are really only two scenes where the CG really bothers me enough to say they should have redone the scenes.

Other than that I really really really like this film. The more I see it the more I like it. It fits in great with the rest of the films, and might even become one of my favorites of the series. I still like ESB the best with ANH in close second, but I think this film rivals ROTJ for me. So that means I rate em in this order as of right now:
    ESB
    ANH
    AOTC
    ROTJ
    TPM

Everything about this film is almost perfect as far as story goes. I actually like the acting, the dialog fits, and the cuts that I dion't like so much after seeing it the first time, now make the film flow pretty well after watching it a few more times. And really .. there are only those two CG scenes that should have been redone .. otgher than that I think this is a great film, and I take back some of what I said about it earlier.

20. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    :D 1098 days until Episode 3. And I'm planning to see it again tomorrow so if my opinion changes with that viewing, I'll post something about it. ;) :D

21. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Well I've just made my 3rd and 4th viewing of the flick and I finally noticed the Falcon on Naboo. It was a little embarassing because my friend who was seeing it for the first time picked it off before I did.
    I totally agree with all of your comments on the animal/human interaction CGI sequences. When the DVD comes out, I wont be suprised if there is any kind of alteration to make them look more realistic. I cant wait for the deleted scenes either because it feels like after reading about them Lucas left a few good scenes out. While previously I had hated the love scenes and the dialog, this time they seemed more interesting and easier to follow. Everything changes in time I guess..

22. Mazer-Rackham

Mazer-Rackham Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001
    I saw it again and noticed something new. Rember in episode 1 there was the 1138 driod
    well he is back. This time it was durning the final battle with the jedi. It is about a min after it starts. when it flashes to a jedi on one of the balconys there is a droid whos back is too you and gets cut in half but is there long enough to see the 1138.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.