main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Episode 3.1, Revenge of the Sith Revisited - Serialized Version

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by samrosenbaum, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samrosenbaum

samrosenbaum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    A reader of the complete version of this screenplay rewrite suggested that if I serialized it, it may attract more readers, because my having posted the whole thing at once could be a deterrence for some.

This rewrite of the ROTS screenplay is not a parody, but rather a serious attempt to enhance the story's character development, especially that of Padmé Amidala who, except for one powerful scene, was, I feel, not given her due. It is done in a way that, at least in the major areas, preserves the timeline for the Original Trilogy. Also, do not fear. This is not an attempt to change the film's political message. Padme's enhanced role does add to the political story, however.

Since my goal is for the story to work as well as it possibly can, without going too far OC, I'm open to concrit about things that are added/changed, or that may have been neglected.

For copyright disclaimer purposes, the title page of the full script contains the following credits: "An Unofficial Rewrite of the Screenplay by George Lucas - Previously Published and/or Produced Material by George Lucas - New and Replacement Material by Sam Rosenbaum, Based on Characters and Story Settings Created by George Lucas"

The first act (rescue of Palpatine) contains no major differences from what is in the movie, so, for this posting, I'll skip to the scene where the characters arrive at the Senate and Padmé appears.

EXT. SENATE OFFICE BUILDING - LANDING PLATFORM - LATE AFTERNOON

The Jedi shuttle touches down on the landing platform just outside the massive office building?s high-altitude main entrance. There are a DOZEN SENATORS waiting, including BAIL ORGANA, 40?s, strong build, polite. C-3PO is also there. Palpatine, R2-D2, and Anakin emerge from the shuttle. Obi-Wan stays in the shuttle doorway.

ANAKIN
    (to Obi-Wan)
    Are you coming, Master?

OBI-WAN
    Oh no. I'm not brave enough for politics. I have to report to the Council. Besides, someone needs to be the poster boy.

ANAKIN
    Hold on, this whole operation was your idea. You?re the one who planned it and led the rescue. You?re the one who reports to the Senate on missions like this. You have to be the one to take the bows this time.

OBI-WAN
    Sorry, old friend. Let?s not forget that you killed Count Dooku, rescued the Chancellor, rescued me twice, and managed to land that bucket of bolts safely.

ANAKIN
    All because of your training, Master. You deserve all those speeches of your greatness.

OBI-WAN
    The endless speeches . . . Anakin, let's be fair. Today, you are the hero, and you deserve your glorious day with the politicians.

ANAKIN
    All right. But you owe me . . . and not for saving your skin for the tenth time.

OBI-WAN
    Ninth time . . . that business on Cato Nemoidia doesn't count. I'll see you at the briefing.

Anakin smiles and walks away from Obi-Wan.

The Chancellor and the entourage of Senators (minus Bail Organa) that has formed around him approach MACE WINDU. Mace is still bald, tough and no-nonsense.

MACE
    Chancellor Palpatine, are you well? Do you need medical attention?

PALPATINE
    I am well, thanks to your two Jedi Knights. They killed Count Dooku, but General Grievous has escaped once again.

MACE
    General Grievous will run and hide as he always does. He is a coward.

PALPATINE
    That may be true, but with Count Dooku dead, he is the leader of the Droid Army, and I assure you, the Senate will vote to continue the war as long as Grievous is alive.

MACE
    Then the Jedi Council will make finding Grievous our highest priority.

Bail walks with Anakin, as the crowd exits the platform and moves toward the Grand Hallway. There to greet them is PADMÉ AMIDALA, now approaching 30 and more mature, having toned down the extravagant fashion somewhat.

PADMÉ
    (smiles)
    Anakin Skywalker, the Republic cannot praise you enough.

Anakin, Padmé and Bail enter the hallway.

ANAKIN
    Thank you, My Lady. The kidnapping was a bold move by the Separatists, but it was a mistake that Obi-Wan and I were able to take advantage of.

R2-D2 and C-3PO fo

2. samrosenbaum

samrosenbaum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    INT. CORUSCANT - JEDI TEMPLE - YODA?S QUARTERS - DAY

YODA and Anakin sit on mats, deep in thought.

YODA
    Premonitions . . . premonitions . . . Hmmmm . . . these visions you have . . .

ANAKIN
    They are of pain, suffering, death.

YODA
    Yourself you speak of, or someone you know?

ANAKIN
    Someone . . .

YODA
    Close to you?

ANAKIN
    Yes.

Yoda?s expression suggests that he knows who it is.

YODA
    Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.

ANAKIN
    I won't let these visions come true, Master Yoda.

YODA
    Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.

ANAKIN
    What must I do, Master Yoda?

YODA
    Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

This clearly is not what Anakin wants to hear.

INT. JEDI TEMPLE ? HALLWAY - DAY

Anakin hurries down a temple hallway, heading toward a Jedi briefing room. SEVERAL JEDI are exiting.

INT. JEDI TEMPLE - BRIEFING ROOM - DAY

Anakin rushes into the briefing room, as the last of the JEDI are leaving. Only Obi-Wan remains at the front of the lecture hall. He is shutting off some holograms and electronic charts and maps.

OBI-WAN
    You missed the report on the Outer Rim sieges.

ANAKIN
    I'm sorry, I was held up. I have no excuse. How are they going?

OBI-WAN
    In short, they are going very well. Saleucami has fallen, and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity.

ANAKIN
    What's wrong then?

OBI-WAN
    The Senate is expected to vote more executive powers to the Chancellor today.

ANAKIN
    Well, that can only mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad? It will make it easier for us to end this war.

OBI-WAN
    Anakin, be careful of your friend Palpatine.

ANAKIN
    Be careful of him? What for?

OBI-WAN
    He has requested your presence. For what, he would not say.

ANAKIN
    He didn't inform the Jedi Council? That's unusual, isn't it?

OBI-WAN
    All of this is unusual, and it's making me feel uneasy. Something is out of place. You're probably aware that relations between the Council and the Chancellor are stressed as of late.

ANAKIN
    I know the Council has grown wary of the Chancellor's power . . . Mine also for that matter. Aren't we all working together to save the Republic? Why all this distrust?

OBI-WAN
    The Force grows dark, Anakin, and we are all affected by it. Be wary of your feelings.

INT. SENATE OFFICE BUILDING - CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE - DAY

Anakin stands with Palpatine at his window overlooking the vastness of Coruscant. Several buildings have been destroyed. A brown haze hangs over the landscape.

PALPATINE
    Anakin, the Senate is considering calling on me to take direct control of the Jedi Council.

ANAKIN
    The Jedi will no longer report to the Senate?

PALPATINE
    They will report to me . . . personally. The Senate is too unfocused to conduct a war. This will bring a quick end to things.

ANAKIN
    I agree, but the Council may not see it that way. With all due respect, sir, they are in no mood for more constitutional amendments.

PALPATINE
    Thank you, my friend, but there are times when we must all endure adjustments to the constitution in the name of security.

This time, I have no choice . . . this war must be won.

ANAKIN
    Everyone will agree on that.

PALPATINE
    Perhaps not quite everyone. My amendment has hit . . . shall we say . . . a stumbling block.

ANAKIN
    How so?

PALPATINE
    Oh, a small matter of a committee chairman?s jurisdiction, but I shall soon get around it. It?s nothing for you to be concerned about.

Anakin cannot hide his concern.

PALPATINE (cont?d)
    Anakin, I've known you since you were a small boy. I have advised you over the years when I could . . . I am very proud of your accomplishments. You have won many battles the Jedi Council thought were lost . . . and you saved my life. I hope you trust me.

ANAKIN
    Of course.

P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.