main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EPISODE 3 : A FALL FROM GRACE / (COMPLETED SCREENPLAY)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Chiz, Nov 15, 1998.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiz

Chiz Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 1999
    Firstly, the New Republic is always thrown into disarray at the first sign of a threat, minor or major.

One fleet comes in, senate collapses, Leia quits, fleet destroyed, Senate restored, Leia saved by Han returns.

This system will fail! If more than one threat appears, they will all die.

The New Republic is based on alliances, having no one government. If one ally backs out, allies will fight and the New Rep will only have Coruscant.

Comments anyone?

2. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    Firstly, the New Republic is always thrown into disarray at the first sign of a threat, minor or major.

One fleet comes in, senate collapses, Leia quits, fleet destroyed, Senate restored, Leia saved by Han returns.

This system will fail! If more than one threat appears, they will all die.

The New Republic is based on alliances, having no one government. If one ally backs out, allies will fight and the New Rep will only have Coruscant.

Comments anyone?

3. DaClyde

DaClyde Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 1998
    Well, the NR is little more than an ambitious United Nations. The UN is still around, and no one there ever agrees. Granted, it's mostly US funded, but it's still around.

4. DaClyde

DaClyde Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 1998
    Well, the NR is little more than an ambitious United Nations. The UN is still around, and no one there ever agrees. Granted, it's mostly US funded, but it's still around.

5. MaGnUs Darklighter

MaGnUs Darklighter Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 1998
    US funded?!?!!? Don't make me laught please...the US is the country that has the biggest debt with the UN.

6. MaGnUs Darklighter

MaGnUs Darklighter Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 1998
    US funded?!?!!? Don't make me laught please...the US is the country that has the biggest debt with the UN.

7. Stilgar

Stilgar Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 1998
    Plus the New Republic is a bit more than the UN. The New Republic controls the armed forces (though I think members are allowed to keep their own local militaries, but from what I gather even most of those are under some kind of New Republic control). The New Republic sets taxes, and diplomatic policy, as well as general laws. In short, the New Republic is like the Federal Government, while the different members are like the states, with perhaps somewhat more independent states than is the case with say the USA (the system occurs in other countries as well).

Though I have to agree that the ease with which some threats are able to threaten destabilisation of the New Republic is a little ridiculous. Perhaps they should be looked upon in terms of a political scandal, i.e. a lot of noise and changes at the top, but not a major threat to the functioning of the government as a whole.

8. Stilgar

Nov 18, 1998
    Plus the New Republic is a bit more than the UN. The New Republic controls the armed forces (though I think members are allowed to keep their own local militaries, but from what I gather even most of those are under some kind of New Republic control). The New Republic sets taxes, and diplomatic policy, as well as general laws. In short, the New Republic is like the Federal Government, while the different members are like the states, with perhaps somewhat more independent states than is the case with say the USA (the system occurs in other countries as well).

Though I have to agree that the ease with which some threats are able to threaten destabilisation of the New Republic is a little ridiculous. Perhaps they should be looked upon in terms of a political scandal, i.e. a lot of noise and changes at the top, but not a major threat to the functioning of the government as a whole.

9. jedi forever

jedi forever Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 1998
    the UN is a freakin joke, the are the most useless organization. They need a constitutional convention to fix it, just like our articles of confederation.
    Maybe that is what the NR needs.

10. jedi forever

jedi forever Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 1998
    the UN is a freakin joke, the are the most useless organization. They need a constitutional convention to fix it, just like our articles of confederation.
    Maybe that is what the NR needs.

11. DaClyde

DaClyde Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 1998
    The NR will most likely never fall. Look how much work has been put into it. Since Lucas is probably not going to make 7-9, the authors aren't going to scrap it for something new. It would take too much work on their part.

12. DaClyde

DaClyde Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 1998
    The NR will most likely never fall. Look how much work has been put into it. Since Lucas is probably not going to make 7-9, the authors aren't going to scrap it for something new. It would take too much work on their part.

13. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    Well by the way things are going now the NR needs to make some serious changes if they want to stay together. I agree with Howl..., that everytime something big happens they are thrown in disorder. So I think they need to make a stronger government to stay together. And notice how Leia is still the Chief of State twenty-five years after the NR was established, except in VOTF where someone else took over temporarly, and remains so in the Young Jedi Knight series. In a real democracy or Republic she would'nt remain in office for this long.

14. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Well by the way things are going now the NR needs to make some serious changes if they want to stay together. I agree with Howl..., that everytime something big happens they are thrown in disorder. So I think they need to make a stronger government to stay together. And notice how Leia is still the Chief of State twenty-five years after the NR was established, except in VOTF where someone else took over temporarly, and remains so in the Young Jedi Knight series. In a real democracy or Republic she would'nt remain in office for this long.

15. Admiral Maciejewski

Admiral Maciejewski Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 1998
    The New Republic will endure. It is just like the Old Republic, and it lasted for over 25,000 years. That is a long time, so the New Republic will endure for quite sometime. If Leia dies, someone will replace her.

The New Republic is set up as a representative democracy. The individual planets are in control of the there planets or sectors, given the type of government, but they must abide by certain rules given by the New Republic. Just as in the United States, the states (planets) have there own local government, but the federal government (the Senate) has less power, but is still in control.

16. Admiral Maciejewski

Admiral Maciejewski Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 1998
    The New Republic will endure. It is just like the Old Republic, and it lasted for over 25,000 years. That is a long time, so the New Republic will endure for quite sometime. If Leia dies, someone will replace her.

The New Republic is set up as a representative democracy. The individual planets are in control of the there planets or sectors, given the type of government, but they must abide by certain rules given by the New Republic. Just as in the United States, the states (planets) have there own local government, but the federal government (the Senate) has less power, but is still in control.

17. garm sidestepper

garm sidestepper Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 1998
    it's the classic story of good versus evil the new rebuplic being good and the empire and all of it's creations being evil...good will always triumph.

18. garm sidestepper

garm sidestepper Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 1998
    it's the classic story of good versus evil the new rebuplic being good and the empire and all of it's creations being evil...good will always triumph.

19. Shockwave

Shockwave Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 1998
    First off if you have read Vision Of The Future yet then you will know that the NR and Empire have a truce now. Secondly I'd like to see a WHOLE SERIES of the NR destroying its-self in a giant civil war cuz basically I live for action in books and it would be AWESOME to see the NR members slaughter themselves! But you would have to make that book like 30 years after ANH so you would still be able to make classic good vs. evil books. Feel free to discuss this issue vehemently! =8^)

20. Shockwave

Shockwave Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 1998
    First off if you have read Vision Of The Future yet then you will know that the NR and Empire have a truce now. Secondly I'd like to see a WHOLE SERIES of the NR destroying its-self in a giant civil war cuz basically I live for action in books and it would be AWESOME to see the NR members slaughter themselves! But you would have to make that book like 30 years after ANH so you would still be able to make classic good vs. evil books. Feel free to discuss this issue vehemently! =8^)

21. Stilgar

Nov 18, 1998
    Hathor, about your point about Leia remaining so long as a head of a democratic government, this could be a valid objection in a present human society where a few decades is a bit long for a deomcratically elected leader. However, the New Republic is neither composed alone of humans, or does it have a culture like ours. For one thing the humans may live longer, and we definitely have species like the Wookies who do live far longer than present humans. Chewbacca is a few hundred years old. So, perhaps to a Wookie who may live even more than ten times longer than a human, Leia's term in office would not seem so long. Then there maybe species who have shorter lifespans than humans, and so on. Accordingly I think that terms in office are determined differently in the New Republic because for one thing what maybe considered very long for some species is very short for others.

It seems that the Head Of State of The New Republic can be removed at any time as soon as she or he loses majority support in the senate. So, perhaps because of cultural differences instead of terms in office, the New Republic may work on the basis of easier removal of its leader (perhaps as a measure of ensuring that the leader does not set themselves up as a dictator, especially when they have been in office for a while), while allowing such a leader to remain in power as long as they mainatain a majority support, and thus presumably are doing a good job to maintain this support. This may well be the reason for why crisis can cause so much politicing in the New Republic, and perhaps rather than a sign of instability it is a picture of how that system works, i.e. the danger is not to the New Republic staying around, but to the leader remaining in power.

Shockwave, I assume you are joking.

22. Stilgar

Nov 18, 1998
    Hathor, about your point about Leia remaining so long as a head of a democratic government, this could be a valid objection in a present human society where a few decades is a bit long for a deomcratically elected leader. However, the New Republic is neither composed alone of humans, or does it have a culture like ours. For one thing the humans may live longer, and we definitely have species like the Wookies who do live far longer than present humans. Chewbacca is a few hundred years old. So, perhaps to a Wookie who may live even more than ten times longer than a human, Leia's term in office would not seem so long. Then there maybe species who have shorter lifespans than humans, and so on. Accordingly I think that terms in office are determined differently in the New Republic because for one thing what maybe considered very long for some species is very short for others.

It seems that the Head Of State of The New Republic can be removed at any time as soon as she or he loses majority support in the senate. So, perhaps because of cultural differences instead of terms in office, the New Republic may work on the basis of easier removal of its leader (perhaps as a measure of ensuring that the leader does not set themselves up as a dictator, especially when they have been in office for a while), while allowing such a leader to remain in power as long as they mainatain a majority support, and thus presumably are doing a good job to maintain this support. This may well be the reason for why crisis can cause so much politicing in the New Republic, and perhaps rather than a sign of instability it is a picture of how that system works, i.e. the danger is not to the New Republic staying around, but to the leader remaining in power.

Shockwave, I assume you are joking.

23. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    Good vs. Evil is really from your point of view. You could see a Death Star and say:

Wow! yeah! We're saved from Rebel raiders.

Or from the Rebs:

Set up for your attack runs! Let's blow up billions of credits worth of Imperial taxes and throw heaps of misery upon everyone.

If you were a head of state, wouldn't you try to stop a potentially dangerous ARMED rebellion with casualties numbering in billions? Destroying one planet to save thousands of others and to make the galaxy prosper is considered good.

Look at the different terrorist groups on Earth and find out why they're fighting.
    Just beacause they want a government other than democracy and are Muslims doesn't mean that they're evil.

In this case, several planets "persuaded" to join the NR with a Head of State for twenty years without elections is cruel and unfair. Some worlds want to stay Imperial but were "liberated" because about 0.5% want to join the New Republic. That is EVIL.

[This message has been edited by howlrunner22 (edited 12-06-98).]

24. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    Good vs. Evil is really from your point of view. You could see a Death Star and say:

Wow! yeah! We're saved from Rebel raiders.

Or from the Rebs:

Set up for your attack runs! Let's blow up billions of credits worth of Imperial taxes and throw heaps of misery upon everyone.

If you were a head of state, wouldn't you try to stop a potentially dangerous ARMED rebellion with casualties numbering in billions? Destroying one planet to save thousands of others and to make the galaxy prosper is considered good.

Look at the different terrorist groups on Earth and find out why they're fighting.
    Just beacause they want a government other than democracy and are Muslims doesn't mean that they're evil.

In this case, several planets "persuaded" to join the NR with a Head of State for twenty years without elections is cruel and unfair. Some worlds want to stay Imperial but were "liberated" because about 0.5% want to join the New Republic. That is EVIL.

[This message has been edited by howlrunner22 (edited 12-06-98).]

25. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Also good point Stilgar, I hadn't even thought about the possible life span of most of these aliens. Howl..., how do we know the NR hasn't had elections in decades? If we go by Stilgar's point of a several centuries long lifespan then perhaps this long reign in office isn't so cruel and unjust. The NR government has never clearly been defined, especially when it comes to elections or smaller planetary gov'ts, so we can never be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.