main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 costumes (The Non-spoiler edition)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    By request, I'm starting up this thread as a place where images of Episode 3 costumes can be discussed and/or seen without spoilers about storyline.
    So, if you want to 'see' the costumes without reading or talking about plot, then this is the place to do it.

What's allowed:
    • Links to pictures from official sources such as The Official SW website. Please do not embed images, supply links only, so that each member can decide for themselves if they would like to view said image or not.

• Names of confirmed characters only. Confirmed means offical mention from LFL about being in Ep.3.

What's not allowed:
        • Hyperspace pictures.(Sketches of them are allowed.)

• Descriptions of the scenes that costumes are worn in.

• Descriptions of plot/storyline or information pertaining to what a character's role is. For instance, you can name a character but do not describe any actions they take in the film.

• When linking to a picture: If it is an image of a scene in the film please do not include a description of the scene when titling it.
        • Please label it as being an image of <insert:character(s) name here> from an actual scene in the movie. That way each person can decide whether or not to view the image for themselves.

A new picture was released on Hyperspace last night. It depicts the Queen of Naboo.

The short description for those of you without Hyperspace: She looks very reminiscient of Amidala's pre-senate gown costume in TPM. Her headdress is very similar but looks like it's made from a grey metal. It also looks like the top fan part, which is brown on Amidala's, is made out of grey feathers.
        The other big difference is her face make-up. While the base is the customary Naboo white, the red dots and red lips are replaced with light blue. Also, she has a light blue streak that begins above the center of each eyebrow, continues down her eyelids and stops above the dot(s). Her lips are also in this light blue, with the bottom lip still only having the center stripe of color. She also has a small clear crystal applied to the inner corner of each eye.

Her clothes are very similar to Amidala's pre-senate robes, from what is shown. Just different fabrics.

• DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
      • kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
        So, Amidala joined Cirque du Soliel? [face_plain] Sounds *really* strange. I wonder what the significance of the makeup is supposed to be.

• Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
        Actually, Amidala hasn't been the Queen since TPM, so it's not her. ;)
        I did a sketch of it for Maggie's site. You can see it here if you want.

• Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
        Wow that was fast Obi-Dawn! You're a good artist!

(thanks for shaping her eyebrows a bit better too! :p )

• Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
        **HUGE HUGGLES FOR OBI-DAWN**

Thank you Thank you!

• FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
        Obi-Dawn You rock! Your pic is amazing, fabulous detail! I bet you can draw that turtle on the infomercial no problem! LOL ! hee hee hee [face_laugh]

The costume is very much like Padme's Pre-Senate costume which many people have sucessfully replicated, so that will come in handy this time around. I love the feathers at the top instead of the bristle or hair. The pewter colors and all are really rich looking, and I can't wait to see more!

Thanks for a spoiler free zone--I'm trying to be a good monkey and not find out too much beforehand, but I'm weak, and I cheat now and again! Bad Monkey!!

~Ferd :)

• kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
        Actually, Amidala hasn't been Queen since TPM

oops [face_blush] Brain-slip on my part... cool pic too! Thanks for the link!

**grumbles about more bead encrusting**

• Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
        I think this costume beats the TPM pre-senate gown, but might be because I'm partial to silver and blue. This is a really icy dress.

• Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
        No one else has mentioned these yet, so I thought I would.
        Glimpses of two more Padmé costumes have been seen in a LFL marketing video which was leaked onto the net. Links to the actual video are prohibited, but I have been told it's okay to link to some screencaps.

**links removed**

• ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
        thanks Obi-Dawn!

• Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
        I like the look of the slieveless costume, Padmé is really starting to look like Leia.

• kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
        Yeah she is - that hairstyle in the sleeveless pic (not to mention the costume) practically screams Endor battle-gear. :D

And that cloak is gorgeous... and looks an awful lot like Simplicity 5794 and 9887 - of course, knowing Trisha and co, it's probably covered with embroidery or beading or something else painstaking. ;)

• Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
        Not only do I love the fact that kreleia is already scoping out patterns, but I also love the connection George is making between Padmé and Leia.

I think it's neat to remember that if someone were to watch these films for the very first time in order (from one to six), then Leia will be reminding them of Padmé. :)

• mjade19

mjade19 Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2000
        Is it just me, or do the Queens of Naboo seem to use each other's wardrobe? I think it's kind of cool, like royal jewels being passed down, but instead it's State outfits. But each seem to personalize it a little.
        Just one of the finer touches the costumers employ which impress me greatly.

• MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
        I definitely agree that it's fascinating seeing the connections between Padme and Leia being drawn. I think that was one of the parts I am most looking forward to in Episode III - not just between them but in general. I am really excited to see how GL brings the two eras together finally.

• liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
        the new before the helmet picture is of Mon Mothma. you can only see the top half of her outfit. Its all white. there is two sections and under shirt/dress? and a part that goes overtop. the part on top is a solid white fabric with no pattern it has a high neck with three gold buttons?? on either side of the neck. the top piece covers the shoulders and comes straight down in front. the part underneith the fabric has a cicular pattern in a wool kind of looking fabric with bell sleeves with a tight cuff at the bottom that you can't really see because the sleeve bells over top of it. she also has a silver piece of jewellery?? (sign of office??) attached to the front of her dress very similar to the one she wore in the ot. her hair style is pretty similiar as well.
        I'm not good at the descriptions, someone else please elaborate more.
        Liann

• Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
        Can't wait to see that. ;)

I'm starting to think about doing the purple gown that we have seen some pics of. I'm not planning on doing a perfect copy, just recognisable one for the ep.III premiere.

One thing I think is that the purple robe seems to be quite similar to Leia's Bespin robe, I think that would be quite a good start.

• foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
        Now that you know who has been officially announced on the official site, is it no longer a spoiler?

• Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
        From above:

By request, I'm starting up this thread as a place where images of Episode 3 costumes can be discussed and/or seen without spoilers about storyline.
        So, if you want to 'see' the costumes without reading or talking about plot, then this is the place to do it.

I'd say nope, no talking about you-know-who unless you're throwing up a costume pic and wanting to discuss what his/her clothing was, or how to do a droid head or summat.

• foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
        Well that's the point. You know who has an interesting costume and i wonder if anybody would try making it. I have made a thread about it for those who read spoilers, but now I'm not so sure its a spoiler since it's been officially announced on the official site.

• Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
        According to the rules in the Episode 3 Non-Spoiler forum, any information confirmed on the Official SW Website or taken from the Insider is NOT considered a spoiler. So, techincally, the character you two are referring to is no longer considered a spoiler here at the JC. Even his icons are now labeled with his actual name.

It's a bit difficult to 'see' pictures of Ep.3 costumes and still remain completely 'spoiler free'. Inevitably, if you are interested in seeing pictures of the costumes this means you are going to be exposed to seeing what characters, whether they be new or old, are in the film. And some character names have titles, such as 'Queen' or 'General', that give away a part of what their role is in the film. And even if we weren't to name them all, if you were to see the character in the latest BTH pic, anyone who has seem the OT would immediately know who it's supposed to be without reading the name.

With that, is it right to assume that the people visiting this thread have no problem with being exposed to confirmed character names and official images from Ep.3?

My feeling is this: This is a designated area to look at costumes from Episode 3 without being exposed to the nature of the scenes the costumes are being used for. (For instance, if this were about Princess Leia's second costume in ANH we would refer to it as a 'white dress of Princess Leia's' instead of her 'Medal Ceremony Dress from the last scene in the movie'.) As long as the image is taken from an official source and is of a confirmed character, then naming said character is okay to do.

Of course, as we get closer to the film's release, there are going to be more and more pictures available that are going to show scenes from the film. Once the trailers are released they are considered non-spoilers too. So when the time comes, if we link to pics instead of imbedding them, with short prefaces that the image shows an actual scene from the film (without saying what the scene is), then the non-spoiled person can decide for themselves whether or not to look at it.

Does this seem like a fair way to handle it? I really want this place to work for our non-spoiled crowd.
        Once I get feedback from you guys, I can reword the first post in this thread to outline the rules better. :)

• kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
        I'm cool with that - that's how I've always viewed the official pics anyway. To me, spoilers happen when specific story points are discussed (which can happen when trying to get the context of a particular costume). But if I'm just looking at a costume picture, really without any story context, then I don't have a problem with that.

**plink plink**
        ;)

• Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
        One thing I wouldn't like to see here, even if it's announced is the new villain. Name it and show a picture would be ok, naming it and calling it new sith lord, or new bad guy wouldn't be ok.

• Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
        I agree totally. Just a picture and a name. No discussion of what's going on or where the costume is worn, or who the person is.

Thread Status:
      Not open for further replies.