main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 costumes (The Non-spoiler edition)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I kinda like the headdress on the 2nd one, but I don't like (as Loleia said on her site) the "Rasta-Stargate look" with the hair. :)

Maggie

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm with Dawn on prefering the light blue one, really beautiful. I still think that I will stick to the formal purple gown with the red headdress (I'm not saying what it's called since there might be some totally spoiler-free people around). The reason is that I think that's a dress that will be in the film after the final cut, while we can't be too sure about the others. I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, but at least it's on my list.

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Awww, I like the ropey headdress. I think it looks funky and fun! Lol, I guess I never really had excellent taste.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    The latest Hyperspace webdoc is all about costumes! :D

Here's some info on Padmé:

Padmé's 'dreadlock' costume is featured and it has an official name: the peacock dress. Apparently the fabric changes colors in different lightings, from browns to blues. Trisha says the fabric is woven with two different colors to give it this effect, and then she had it pleated so the movement enhances it.
    Her hair is shown clearly and instead of your basic fuzzy type of dread, it actually looks like many many many smooth and tight ringlets and is actually sorta pretty. The headpiece is beautiful.
    The costume itself seems to have a blue underdress
    with the brownish overcoat that changes colors. The overcoat is embellished with cording in a scrolling design, possibly couched on...it's really really pretty up close.
    edit: Upon closer inspection (i.e. staring at my monitor for a long time :p ) I think the underdress is the two tone fabric, maybe a shot silk? And the overcoat looks like it might be a burnout velvet with the pile being a brownish color and the base of the fabric being a light blue....

There's a new costume shown on a mannequin while Rena Owen can be heard talking about 'Padmé's costumes', so I think we can assume it's another one for Natalie. It's a long dark turquoise underdress, reminiscient of her underdress in the blue Tatooine confession dress, with a long sleeved duster type coat over it in hues of blues. The overcoat has a vertical wavy type design and looks watery. It also seems to have either beads or sequins embellishing it. Very pretty and flowy...feminine.

We also get a good close-up look at Padmé's tan sleeveless costume (with pants). She's wearing tall brown boots with it.
    It's also shown on a mannequin and the top looks like maybe it's some sort of suede or soft brushed type of fabric.

And there are shots of Padmé's green velvet cloak costume. They show Nat wearing it from the back and walking up some stairs. Someone is following her and lifting up the back of the cloak so it doesn't drag on the floor and it looks like a good amount of fabric was used in it.

Then there's one other shot where the camera pans across the stage and we can see Trisha attending to a woman in costume. I'm not sure if it's Padmé, but it could be. Her hair (and it's hard to tell because it pans by quickly and pausing it just gives me blurry images) but her hair reminds me of Leia's ANH buns and she's wearing a very dark costume with the silhouette we seem to be seeing for Padmé in this film.

Costume information overload.... =P~

5. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    I wish my Hyperspace account would work so I could see it. Her new costumes sounds gorgeous!!!! :D

6. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    The Peacock Dress . . . it's really really pretty up close.

Heh, I guess my taste is redeemed!

This is now definately a dress I have to try. Trisha was talking about how it's shot silk taffeta, wonder where I can find brown/blue . . .

**runs off to search for new fabrics!**

7. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The peacockdress sounds interesting, I'm one of those who have been sceptical of it, but maybe it's the kind of costume that just gets better and better when you watch it.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Jayne, nya reported in the other thread that she found some shot taffeta in pale blue/copper at Hancock's Fabrics. The sku for it is 905505 for $7.99 a yard.
    She thinks it might work for the underdress. :)

Obi-Anne, I was 'meh' about the peacock dress at first too. But the detailing on it is what makes me go 'ooh and ahh'. All in all, a very labor intensive project if one were to get all the details right. :)

9. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    :D Thanks Obi-Dawn! I appreciate you transfering that stuff, keeps me from being tempted!

10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I read the report, and it surely mentioned some nice costumes, the blue-watery one is definetly my favourite so far, but I still think that if I'm going to make an episode III dress, I will do the purple one with the red headpiece.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You're welcome Jayne. I'll transfer any other helpful info from the spoiler thread to this one for you. :)
    Speaking of which, FERD found a "Copper/Turquoise" taffeta which is 60" wide and $9.50 a yard at The Sewing Studio in Florida. I think she's said before that they take orders by phone. Anyway, she said the color was the 'proper brown and turq/blue'.
    She also mentioned that she has noticed several two tone taffetas at her local Joann's in their flatfold dept. and maybe keep an eye out in your area. No blue/browns at her JoAnn's, but you never know what you might find.

I've looked all over online for a burnout velvet in the same pattern as Padmé's but haven't even come close. Honestly, I don't think I'm going to make this costume, but I'll still be keeping an eye out for the right fabrics. ;)

Obi-Anne, the blue 'watery' dress is really very pretty. I can imagine that it must sparkle and shine when in motion. :) I do hope it makes the final cut of the film.

So far we know of at least eight confirmed costumes for Padmé with the blue watery one as a ninth (assuming it's her's). I'm hoping for a tenth that we could have possibly seen very quickly in the webdoc, but I'm not sure if it was her or not.
    8-10 costumes, not too bad! :D

12. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Not to derail the Padme dress discussions... but...

I've seen pictures of the two Handmaidens wearing the "Pleats o' Plenty" outfits that kind of remind me of something a nun would wear. LOL

I'm one of those Handmaiden fans and I want one of those outfits for C3. :) But....I have NO clue what kind of fabric to make the thing out of, nor how to go about making that half cape with the quilted looking bit across the front. Looking at the pictures only confuses me as to how the cape portion is constructed, how those pleats stay in place and how it fastens. :( Also, the hoods seem to wrap under their chins rather oddly. *scratches head*

btw...what colour is the outfit? They look brown to me.

The underdress seems simple enough...make something with a simple bodice/sleeve and a heavily pleated skirt. No one is going to see the bodice and if we ever find out later what it looks like, that's easily fixed. ;)

13. jedicharlie57

jedicharlie57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I have a comment for Luke, asking about Obi Wan robes. The originals and the prequels have had cloaks made out of wool. For AOTC, Obi Wan's was made with a lighter wool for the wet scenes on Kamino.

For my robe, I found a wool crepe, which gives you the right texture, "weight" and flow, but light enough for wearing in Deep South heat. Lots of people go for cotton in the South, but it doesn't flow well enough for me, and a layer is still a layer. The wool crepe is very light but very strong and durable. It breathes just fine, and because it's so light it billows well for air flow.

For myself, I have seen the new Hyperspace bit on costumes and want to make a Bail Organa for a friend who can pull it off well. Those are very brief shots in the video, and you don't get a backside shot. Does anyone know of any other shots or concept drawings of Bail in the blue robes? I'm talking the one with what looks like a bathroom rug for a collar, hehe.
    Thanks!

14. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    You mean Kevin, Charlie? Yes, you must! That would be so perfect for him. :)

15. jedicharlie57

jedicharlie57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Naah, Kevin likes to stay the bad guy. He and Robert are working together on OT Tuskens right now. I've been enlisted to help finish them since Kevin's accident, tho. I'm proud of the robes, and we're "dirtying" them up now.
    The Organa would be for Robert. He has a bit more weight on him, but his age, the way he carries himself, the hair and goatee... he should pull it off well enough to be recognizable.

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    The official site put up a new pic of Padmé. It's a promo, or costume archive, shot so there are no spoilers. And it's not Hyperspace! Wow!

Thanks go to nya for finding it. :)

http://starwars.com/eu/news/2004/07/news20040720_1.html

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I guess that's the front of the dress from the Kiss-photo. I love that transparant black veil/cape she has over her shoulder.

18. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I need a tutorial on an ROTS Sith costume

19. Mister_Sidious

Mister_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    Which costume???

20. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
  21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey everyone!

I thought I'd give you all a Padmé costume update in non-spoiler fashion. You may have already heard or seen all of this elsewhere, but just in case you haven't ;) :
    The Ep.3 costume spoiler thread has been active, but there has not really been a whole lot of 'new' costumes to show. Just mostly a bunch of speculation going on in there. I just didn't want you non-spoiled people to think you were missing anything new. :)

There have been a few new pictures that you can take a look at without being spoiled plot-wise:

Picture of Padmé's face in the purple 'revelation' gown Has a good view of her headdress. Also has a small, but separate, picture of Yoda's face. These pics look like they are stickers from ROTS trading cards, but they only show faces.

Here is a link to an article at the OS about hair and make-up for ROTS. There's some small headshots of various characters. Nikki Gooley: Making Memorable Faces

And I think the only 'new' Padmé costume we've caught a glimpse of lately is one that looks very akin to the blue robe she wears in AOTC. For this costume she wears a silver metallic headdress and the robe looks like it has some gold tassels added to it. Don't know if it's the same robe revamped, or a whole new one. It was seen briefly in the last webdoc.

The teaser trailer comes out next week and there was a report saying that Padmé is shown in it wearing her hair in the OT style Leia buns. We've been speculating in the spoiler thread that she may be wearing a new black costume with that hair, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Talk to you later. :)

22. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    We've been speculating in the spoiler thread that she may be wearing a new black costume with that hair, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, I hope it's Leia-esque white, just because I want to see some kind of fashion progression into the Alderaan Royal outfit.

And thanks for adding that article link! *sigh* He specifically says 'ornate, lavish costumes' for Padme. Gotta love it!

Thanks for keeping us informed, Obi-Dawn!

*hugs*

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    [:D] back at ya'!

The clue to why we've been speculating that her dress might be black with that hairstyle is an extremely blurry shot of what looks like Padmé in webdoc 7. It's a shot of a woman having her costume tended to by Biggar. The dress she's wearing looks black, her hair looks like Leia buns and we think it's Padmé. :p
    It's so blurry that we can't be sure, so I'm hoping the trailer will clear it up.
    So far we haven't seen any white costumes for Padmé in this film....

Also, I'm not sure if any of you guys got the news about the paint accident with one of Padmé's costumes on set during the recent pick-up shoots? Natalie was wearing the green velvet cloak costume and accidentally brushed it against a newly painted set. I found images on the webcam of people, including Biggar, working on cleaning it off inbetween takes. It was reported in a Hyperspace set diary that they salvaged it, but it's not perfect anymore. :(

24. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    Also, I'm not sure if any of you guys got the news about the paint accident with one of Padmé's costumes on set during the recent pick-up shoots?

Awww! And I just got velvet today to start on a version of that outfit! Grrr. Well, hopefully I can finish it without too many snags in time for another new outfit for C3.

I'm still looking for perfect fabric for the Peacock Gown. That dark brown/peacock blue combo is hard to find. I'm also going to play around this weekend with cellulose dyes to see if I can get Dharma silk velvet to dye just the background. I dunno if I could do a nice blue over such a dark brown, but we'll see.

25. oB-Anshee

oB-Anshee Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm still set for the purple gown, but a simplified version just for fun. Since we don't have any big conventions and such here I don't want to waste too much time and money on a costume that wont be easily recognised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.