main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 Dresses (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Lady_THX, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yaddel

yaddel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Well I'm glad other people are thinking about it too, like I said in an earlier thread, I may just be pregnant at C3, so a costume that was maternity would be so fun!

2. scribe88

scribe88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    I think it would be a huge improvment over having Padme dressed almost naked like Leia in ROJ.

3. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I am so excited about seeing these costumes! Although, I don't anticipate her being hugely pregnant just because she is having twins...an average baby is usually 6-8 pounds, and with multiple births, the babies are USUALLy smaller, like 4-6 pounds. The uterus can only grow so big, and our bodies know what they are doing and can adjust to having two babies instead of one.
    I totally agree that she will be back to her perfect figure immediately after the blessed event...it IS a movie. (lol)
    I loved being pregnant myself and think it is a beautiful time for women, and if the costumes catch my eye-I will be strapping a big pillow around my tummy and stitching up a storm! (lol)
    QS

4. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I know that during the times when women wore farthingales and hoop skirts, when they were pregnant, all they did is move the skirt higher- over their belly. We may be seeing some of that.

5. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I was thinking about this today, and an idea came from a famous renissance painting I saw in my humanities class.. for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, it's of a marriage, and the woman in it is what appears to be a green velvet dress. However, from the way that she is holding the fabric up, it appears that she is pregant. A way to hide Padme's preganacy could be just the way that she moves in whatever costume they give her. Of course, she couldn't be wearing things like the corset gown :)
    Has anyone thought about how the fact that the galaxy is at war might change fashion a bit?

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I definetly think we will see more darker and simpler clothes, due to the war. I wouldn't be surprised to see some things from TPM, either dark (travel gowns) or simple (Tatooine).

7. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    jedilucass, I'm guessing the painting you're thinking of is Jan van Eyck's The Arnolfini Portrait.

Here's a link to it, for reference.

-sg

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Ahh, girlie, you beat me to it. I was thinking of the same painting. ;)

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ahh...the houppelande. I've got some links to some great sites that show you how to make such a dress :)

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    According to the latest daily Hyperspace diary at the Official Site (info taken from a quote from Annette Miles who is Nat's hairdresser) they are working on around ten different hairstyles for Padme. I suppose this implies lots of costume changes again! Yay!

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Yay! I love the hairstyles as much as I love the dresses!

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, another new Hyperspace set diary came out today that says Padme should have at least seven headdresses. Yay! :D
    One of them involves piano wire (to shape the frame of it), a dozen metal pieces that sound like they are based on some sort of decorative pin Trisha found and leather.

Need to see new costumes.....now! :D

13. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    hyperspace set diaries...are these something on starwars.com? I'll have to go looking.

14. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    I belive that's the "paid-for" stuff at the official site.

NP's so tiny, she probably *could* fit 20 babies in some of those TPM gowns!

:~D

And, here's to hoping that where there's a Padmé in hiding and in need of protection, there also will be her handmaidens!!!

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Maybe one could hope that NP will pass by the webcam in a costume, of course then I would get mad for not having hyperspace, and since it's not allowed to post pics here those who have it will have to describe very carefully. :D

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    The daily set diaries are on the Official Site as a part of the Hyperspace subscription service. We are not allowed to copy what is said verbatim onto this forum, but we can paraphrase in our own words.

So far the info that has come out about Padme's Episode 3 costumes lead me to believe her senatorial public life will still be going on. If she were not in the public's eye then she wouldn't be super concerned about hiding her pregnancy. She could just go hideout on Naboo until after they were born or something.
    But it has been confirmed that her Coruscant apartment is being rebuilt and her costumes will include many with headdresses, so I think she might still be a senator....although Padme wore a lot of headgear on her own personal down time in AOTC too. Hmmmmm.....can't wait for spy photos. [face_mischief]

edit: GentleBant, I would expect to see a few handmaidens for sure. :) Yay!

17. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Ah those Lucas Nazis! Charging $20...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

18. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    I hope this is relevant to this topic...
    This also may be spoilerish to some so be advised.

I just read the new Hyperspace Episode III set diary called "Meeting genevieve O'Reilly" and it mentions that O'Reilly's character, Mon Mothma had a fitting for her costume and hair/headress. The dress is made out of some fabric that was purchased for one of Amidala's gowns in Phantom Menace, but was later scrapped. O'Reilly said that the fabric is hand-worn felt and it's something that she thought would be worn in Alaska, but after trying it on, it's incredibly light weight and comfortable.

Interesting...
    If this turns out to be a beautiful costume, I may have to try my hand at making it.

19. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Interesting information about Mon Mothma. That confirms that the rumor awhile back on one of the other forums about Padme becoming Mon Mothman is untrue. I didn't believe it, but it did make me think, because both charecters have a lot in common. But, if any of you who are paying for hyperspace see anything about some of padme's costumes, please share!

20. nya

May 22, 2001
    Sure thing. I'll post anything that comes by my radar.

21. nya

May 22, 2001
    As promised I'm comming back to tell of more costuming information from the Hyperspace diaries. Spoilers abound... Today, they talked about the blue senate gaurds and how the costumes are being re-created to advance thier design along the Star Wars timeline, but also because the old ones are showing their age. It also mentioned that the gaurds don't wear anything like the gear that the action figs have under thier robes, but rather just plain blue pants and some utility boots with snap-on gaiters. Also, the red gaurds will return for eppy III, they will resemble the designs of the original trilogy. It mentioned some background characters like Neimoidian pilots and how if a costume doesn't fit, they will simply re-cast the actor. These costumes have elongated in storage. Apparently, the fabrics will lengthen when hung for any long period of time.

That's pretty much it for costume info this time. I truly hope that Pablo will do a diary about Padme's costumes for eppy III. That's what I really want to know about.

:)

22. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Nya, thanks! I always wondered what the blue guards wore under that armour... now I know!

23. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    We should all start keeping our eyes open on sw.com for little hints for any ep3 costumes.... im sure all the costumes ar ejust about finished by now :)

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    There was also mention in one of the previous set diaries of a snood for one of Padme's hairstyles. :D

25. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Snood! *does the happy dance* Those are sooooo cool! I would just like to thank you all so much, because, I, due to the fact I can't get Hyperspace,*blushes* cause my dad won't pay for it, and it needs a credit card.. I mean, I've got the money, he just doesn't want to use the credit card online... but anyway, I really appricate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.