main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 Dresses (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Lady_THX, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh geez....if the proper fabrics are available to make this...then how will I be able to resist it? =P~

2. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    //EDIT: GRRR the links I posted don't work...

Well, I will ink to a German page now. There are pics of the peacock-dress in Hi-Res with some nice details about the arm part.
    And a little lower on the page is another Padme-costume pic... I don't know how you call it. It's the one she wears earrings with.

Here is the link to Star Wars Union:

http://www.starwars-union.de/index.php?id=news&mrubrik=episode3&rubrik=episode3&newsid=6670&PHPSESSID=5de1238d74ce0dbb23a7b266b7413cc1#6670

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    The purple cloak costume (pic that Surly posted) might actually use this burnout from Thai Silks called "Dots" at the neck and the edges rather than the burnout I posted from silk connection called flagstone.

http://www.thaisilks.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=040J

- Kay Dee

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, that looks even better kay_dee. :)

I've been trying to dig up the interview with Trisha where she apparently talks about this costume. I believe she described it as being a really dark blue....I'll keep looking for it.

edit: spelling mistake

5. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    kay_dee, you are downright dangerous with your burnout velvet links...
    I already have too long a list! Stop tempting me with beautiful things!

Rahhhhhhrrrrrrr!

:p

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I found the quotes from Trisha about this costume (thanks to Maggie's site ;) ):

...Padme first appears in Episode III on Coruscant, awaiting the return of her secret husband whom she has not seen in months. "The first time we see her, it's sort of a mysterious scene where she's hiding behind pillars, waiting for Anakin to finish talking to Bail Organa," describes Biggar. "I wanted to use a dark color that would allow her to be in the shadows, but as soon as she stepped into the light, the light could catch the fabric."

A combination of velvet fabrics provided the contrasting interplay of light and darkness. "I used navy blue panne velvet, which is velvet with a flat pile so it has a shine on it," she describes. When the lights catch the fabric, areas of the pile catch the light, providing large areas of highlight. "I lined that with a devore velvet, where the pattern has been burned out of it, and you get the color of the lining of the velvet. You end up with two very different shades."

Further concealing Padme is the shape of the costume. "I wanted to her to be swathed in this velvet cloak. If we saw her full length before that moment, we wouldn't know she was pregnant," says Biggar. "But it's very easy for her to move the drape of the cloak, and then we would see the shape of her pregnancy through the dress if she wanted to reveal it."

----------

So there we go, it's a dark navy blue panne velvet lined with a devore velvet. Right on!

7. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Please, go and visit again the previosuly mentioned star wars union (to be accurate, the link gaiathaposted). There is another hi-res picture of Padme and Anakin on the balcony (or somewhere like that). It's a beautiful picture and it shows the beading of the sleeves similar to the one around the neck.

Edit: Also the other pictures are very hi-res and clear.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, it is a beautiful picture and shows the beading on the cuff of her revelation gown very nicely. :)

9. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Wow! That picture looks excellent!

Seems like the costume team has had a thing for velvet this time, everything has some kind of velvet in it! Oy!

10. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Wow on the new pics! *drools over the cloak... just might make it to wear around places* It's good news tan padme action figure pic- my design for the buckle brooch is almost dead on! I added a little thing at the bottom, but it's all good! Now, I just need to make one for the top...

Anyway, great fabric finds, Kay_Dee!
    ~Laura

11. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    Another amazing image from the ROTS spoiler front. It's a picture of Padme in her final moments. Not too much can be discerned about her costume in this pic. *sigh* But rumor has it that there is another angle on this shot that features Obi Wan more prominantly that may show up on the 'net at any moment. I am hoping that this new angled shot will show more of Padme's garb. Anyway, the image is here:

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/movie_news/

Scroll down to see it. Beware, some heavy spoilers there.

12. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    The link in my previous post was updated at T-Bone's site so the pic is not on the page linked there. Try this:

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/movie_news/#tblog021405

Or go to T-Blog 2/14/05

Again, not much Padme costuming news there (except I guess now we know what color eyeshadow she is wearing at this point in the film :p )

Also On the newest T-Blog there is a pic of a character named Baron Papanoida. He is a familiar face in some not-so-familiar clothes.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Baron Papanoida makes me laugh and laugh... [face_laugh]

14. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    So I found some stuff to use with the blue nightgown to make it look more like the dress...

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/jedisamantha/costumes/padmsbluenightgownepisode3/websize/HPIM1368.JPG]

That should work nicely.

15. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Yet another tiny scrap of information, but in the new "Episode III Images" gallery on Hyperspace, pic. #22 shows a smidgen of shoulder of one of Padme's costumes.

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, at least we have the shoulder areas of her costumes sort of figured out. [face_plain]

17. joelle

joelle Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2004
    yes and we could probably replicate her makeup ;)

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    And her hair. :p

Maybe we should just make head and shoulder costumes and just wear white sheets from the shoulders down. [face_laugh]

19. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    I was just thinking the same thing, but in my vision, everyone wears black from the shoulders down!

[face_laugh]

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Black could work. :)

21. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    lol i wish i had hyperspace to see these images.. oh well lol

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a new full length shot of Padmé in her tan pants outfit on T-Bone' site.

The url is in this 3SA thread: T-Blog 2/17/2005

(I think I read in 3SA that he prefers we not link to his site over here (at the JC) so I'll just play it safe and point you all to the thread in 3SA.)

edit: It looks like she has the Naboo seal on the gauntlet of her upper left arm. Cool.

23. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    cool, looks like its embroidered on, i'm getting very tempted to make that one :)

24. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I'm really liking the sleeveless costume the more and more I see of it- I'm now positively going to use leather for the straps- however, in the center of the buckle, I'm getting the impression that it's a version of the naboo symbol... any thoughts?

~Laura

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    The buckle definitely isn't a solid piece, like it's made on the little action figure. It's more like her AOTC pilot belt buckle with openings in the design. You can see the brown leather of the straps beneath it.

It could be a stylized version of the Naboo seal. :)

edit: And now that I've looked through all the other photos of this costume, it looks like this new pic is actually the same one used for the action figure packaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.