main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 Dresses (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Lady_THX, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    Guys, we finally have CONFIRMATION that the water gown is Padme's funeral gown.

See this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_(Spoilers_Allowed)/b10331/19016747/p5

I'm sad because this is so tragic, but I'm giddy because of the costume news.

edit: If you aren't too sensitive to spoilers, you might want to check out the rest of that thread. The next page (pg 6) a poster made a very good observation about the shape of one of the buildings in Theed during the funeral scene. It has hints of Amidala's "T" shaped headress from the senate scene in TPM. I always thought that Amidala's hairdos look a little like architecture :p Really cool!!!

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I hardly ever say "I was right"...but, darnit! This time, I was right about the water gown! :p

spoiler:

edit: There is also another new picture which shows the site of her funeral on Naboo. It looks like a large open air pavillion surrounded by water on all sides with lots of boats floating around it. It's heartbreakingly beautiful. :(

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Obi-Dawn, could you so kindly PM me a link to that photo?

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    PM sent. ;)

The picture is in this 3SA thread about the 'Making of ROTS' book. There are lots of spoilerish pictures in that thread, so beware.

5. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I humbly bow to the general wisdom, and gladly admit the errors of my ways :)

This image is just so sad but beautiful. BUT I don't really want to see any of you talented people recreating that gown and wearing it, it would really feel to weird [face_sick]

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    It would be a strange costume to replicate, wouldn't it? eep.

I think calling it the 'water dress' all this time was really very appropriate. Padmé's very name is derived from the Hindi word 'padma' which means lotus. A lotus or water lilly can grow out of a pond or other body of water, seeming to float on top. I think this dress is a gorgeous visual reference to her name and it looks like there are some lotus flowers in there with her, in the bottom left corner of the photo. Along with the flowers in her hair, it's like she is a lotus personified and floating in water. Serene and beautiful.

Darth_Breezy compared this new photo of Padmé to this famous painting of Ophelia over in the 3SA forum. I thought it was an interesting visual parallel.

The other symbolic thing I see with Padmé's water dress is something I've mentioned previously in here. Lucas likes to tell his stories visually, so if we get to see Anakin reborn into his Vader suit out of red fire and lava, then I think it's logical that he planned to lay Padmé to rest in a dress which reflects the serenity of soothing and peaceful blue water. Right where a beautiful lotus should be.
    I think he did an outstanding job with this. Outstanding. :)

And, of course, tragically sad.

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Ummm, she appears to be still very pregnant in the photo - so she couldn't be dead yet? Or else it's some new plot twist GL's throwing at us, since she certainly does look like she's being laid out for a funeral.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, Yoda instructs that she is to appear pregnant when her body is returned to Naboo. Part of the plot to keep the twins hidden. (I've read that part of the novel already. ;) )

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I really want to cry when I saw the gowns in the 3 books (Visual Dictonary, Making of & Art of) today. [face_worried] Wish I can afford the Art of so can see the Padme gowns longer.

Did I say I will like to try the "Water"/"End" Dress. :p

10. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Oh. My. God.

I knew Padme was going to die and et, but I sooooooo did NOT wanted to see this....it is SOOO sad....but SOOOO beautifuly done...
    I believe Trisha is veeeeeery proud of this one, they really did an OUTSTANDING job on making Padme look AS BEAUTIFUL as can EVER be.
    This is sooo beautifuly pictured. Somehow, I thought the casket was going to be put in the water and sail away...it was just my imagination I guess, there was too many "water" words there LOLLL

Did anybody saw the new teasers on the OS ? There are 3, and one of them, Tragedy, has a swwweeeeeeet Padme line to it, it's sooooo sad too, her voice is soooo cute, and then you suddenly want to cry when you just saw that Funeral pic !

11. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    it looks beautiful, but it would be kinda weird to make. i keeps saying i don't want to know anymore about episode III, but i just can't resist looking :p those ani pics were ewww

12. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Ok I need your opinion on this...

Trisha said that Padme ended up with 12 costumes this time.

We've got :

Dark Blue Cape outfit
    Purple gown (worn under the cape)
    Revelation gown
    Lavender Nightgown
    Green Dress
    Peacock
    Purple Senate dress
    Light Blue gown
    Dark Purple robe
    Tan Outfit
    Funeral dress

This makes a total of 11 costumes. SO I'd like your opinion on this, Do you think the "other" costume is actually a brand new one that will be revealed later, soon before the movie comes out (just like we've got the surprise of the Cut Senate dress in AOTC - It was revealed veeeeery late). Or the 12th Outfit is actually the white one she wears on her deathbed ???

I'm praying it's not the white outfit....

13. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    would the outfit she wear underneath the green cloak count as maybe a separate outfit? it would be nice if there was another we hadn't scene yet, i doubt they'd count that white one as an outfit, but maybe they are.

14. joelle

joelle Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2004
    i am impressed obi-dawn! i think the funeral is going to be sooo beautiful and sad-im going to cry buckets. i hope it gets more than a few seconds though-after all they seem to be focusing on anakin then padme.
    jsut a query-if shes going to look pregnant when shes dead-wont people wonder about the father? after all their relationship is secret.also if shes clutching the snippet thing as has been claimed, wont there be questions?

15. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    It is said in the Visual Dictionary that it is against the Naboo Tradition to make an investigation on the death of their people, or something like that...
    I'm glad the visual Dictionary explains why they haven't searched for the babies if they were told Padme was killed by the jedis on Coruscant while she was pregnant ! THAT would have been a real plot whole !

Also, I doubt there is an outfit under the Green dress, by the way - Who said it is a cloak ? It looks like a dress to me...

16. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    If you've read the text on the scanned pages of the Visual Dictionary, there is a small section commenting on Padme's family. Apparently it is Naboo custom to not investigate matters involving the father in a situation like this. It's odd, but convenient plotwise to continue the tradition of keeping the future Skywalker generation hopelessly in the dark about their family. :rolleyes:

17. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    the green cloak was shot with an outfit under it on the webcam :)

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm glad everyone seems to like the image of Padmé in the water gown. I think that it was just done so beautifully.

I picked up the book "The Making of ROTS" this morning and on page 119 Natalie talks about this dress. She calls it 'the end dress' and says that Biggar was going for an 'ocean look'. She also says that someone on set told her it was 'very Ophelia' with the flowers in her hair and how it looks like she could be drowning.
    The full page picture of it in the book shows more of her casket at the bottom. It's filled with lotus looking type flowers.

There are some nice pictures of her in the green velvet robe (they call it a robe) and the light blue nightgown. Great book. :)

As far as how many costumes she ended up with, it would seem that unless there is an unknown costume, which I would find very hard to believe at this point with all the books out and such, her medical facility garb must count as number 12. They did, afterall, have to sew something up for that scene which would constitute as a 'costume'. (Even if it just looks like a blanket. :p )

19. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    I know the gown was shown on the webcam with something under it, but it definatly looks like it's a *costume* it's basically an underdress to support the heavyness of the velvet with wires and etc.

That's cool about the Making Of Book...wish I had ordered it sigh...are there any real new pics of the light blue gown and the green robe ?

My fingers are crossed to finallyyyyy see the front of the Light blue dress without her arms hiding the top LOL- I'm particulary looking forward to see that, I originally thought it would have an empire waist, but there were another pic from the side view that indicates that she is very loose in that dress ! probably like a peignoire type dress

Anthony

20. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Oh- And For those who have been very Spoiled so far, I got a question...

I'm wondering if the Green Robe is not seen in two different scene (Woah, that would be a First time in the Prquels !)

Coz, from one of the Webdocs, Padme is sitting on her couch (with the hood up) with Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and others- This is more than likely the scene where they discuss Padme being the leader of the "Petition of Two Thousand" to have Palpatine give up his Powers.

Then, again, from the Spy Reports and a few "1 + 1 = 2", Padme is giving Palpatine the Petition of Two Thousand while she wears her Peacock Gown (He refuses, she is pissed off and stand up - this shot was seen in a few Webdocs already)

Then, we know Padme recieves the visit of Obi-Wan later in the movie where she tells him everything...BUT- We already saw in various shots, BTH, Webdocs, Images, that she is sitting on her couch with Obi-Wan (with the hood down)

BUT- we also know Padme recieves the visit of Obi-Wan when she wears her purple eyelashed robe....

Am I just imagining things or we will actually see the green robe in TWO different scene ? And what would Obi-Wan want of Padme in the "Green robe scene" if he tells her everything in the "Purple robe scene" ? LOLLL sooo much to know....46 days left....

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    According to the screenplay, Padmé sees Obi-Wan first and then the senator's second while wearing the green robe in her apartment. (Both scenes on the same day.)

22. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I'm posting the link to 2 EpIII pictures. I found them on the 3SA, so I'm guessing (hoping?) it's all right to post.

The first one is Padme, with an actual smile on her face, which I think id the first of its kind I'm seeing for EpIII :)

The second one shows Bail's aide, more intersting costume wise (but quite small unfortunately).

23. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I think the Visual Dictionary have a full body photo of Bail's Aide. Mine is still in its plastic cover. :p

Will see if I can get them somewhere tonite.

24. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Just a question to everyone who has the making of book- somewhere it's talked about that they cut the scene with the senators talking to padme... is this just a misunderstanding on my part?
    ~Laura

25. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Oh com'on !! That would be SOOO lame of their part, it gives Padme a lot more "sense" to be in that movie if she starts the Rebellion, so that would be truly, truly, truly stupid to cut that scene, I hope not....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.