main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 Dresses (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Lady_THX, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I absolutely fell in love with that sleeve. [face_love]

My speculation gleaned from what we know:
    It was designed for Rebecca Jackson Mendoza's character who is described as a royal leader.
    I'm going to tentatively rule out her character as being a new Queen of Naboo based on the sleeve design. We've never seen Amidala nor Jamilla wear anything that bared any skin, save their faces, necks and hands. This sleeve, assuming nothing is to be worn beneath it, will show Mendoza's whole arm through the lattice work.
    It's also reported that Lucas asked for this costume to be done in dark turquoise greens which is not a color we've seen associated with Naboo royalty before, not to say it isn't possible for a Naboo queen to wear said color.
    Anyway, perhaps Mendoza's character will be the royal leader of a different planet. The first time I saw her in the casting announcmeent I had immediate hopes that she would play Oragana's wife, royal leader of Alderran and future adoptive mom to Leia. This sleeve, as little info as it is, has fueled my hopes just a little bit more that that is who she might be playing. :)

2. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah - it was my thought too that she might be from Alderaan. After all, we do have _Princess_ Leia, and this being the last movie, they'll have to show us something about Alderaan and that they have some sort of royalty!

I do hope they show us the planet itself!

The sleeve is very cool looking!

Maggie

3. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I began to wonder if this was simply a muslin version of what was to come (I could just see the myriad of fabrics and detailing that could be employed with this gown)...
    Theres a new set diary out and it has some cosutming stuff in it. It says the costume department is full of muslim mockups, so that costume might just be that.

I just read the diary entry, so all I can say is, "Speak of the devil...!" :) I pretty much expected that we might see alot of muslins in the costume shop, since muslins only can give so much away, but still hint such juicy details. And I'm really diggin' the perforated leg o' mutton sleeve--what a wonderful detail! :D I hope we get a ton more as the days and weeks pass!

As for white costumes in this film, they'll be there somehow, no question, despite the dark, somber, Rothko-esque colors. George and crew would be quite remiss not to include white garments, since they are so determined to connect with the classic trilogy film styles.

In the meantime, it'll be fun trying to decide who gets to wear the white. :)

4. Spitsweet

Spitsweet Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    I want Padme to wear white loose dresses SO BAD !!! I LOVED her white/blue Tatooine dress and was in the camp of those who aid the dress was white, but finally came up with the conclusion that the dress is a veeeeery pael blue.

But does anyopne remember what Lucas said in one of the Making of (I think it was P-19) that in the OT, since the Empire has taken over everyone wears white or grey and that extravagent fashion has gone away...I just hope so much that Padme wears something white with a Hood and large sleeve :)

5. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    That would be cool! :D

But I do hope that she does wear atleast some color, not just all white like New Hope leia. :D

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I do remember George saying that. :)
    Episode III will usher in the creation of the Empire and I think its visuals will reflect that. But I also think that as we witness the Republic decaying we will still see strong colors, probably dark, and some lavish costumes on the politicians and/or royal characters.
    I found it interesting in one set diary about the Jedi Council chamber that the floor and chairs in it will appear a little scruffed up and dirty looking this time around. I think it's a great way to establish how the Jedi have been going through the hardships of the Clone Wars and haven't had the time and/or resources to devote to Temple upkeep. It's also a wonderful way to symbolize their own decay as well as the impending death of the Republic.
    Do you guys think such close attention to detail will also show up in the costumes? Do you think some will be a little worse for the wear?
    It will probably depend on the individual characters, as I doubt greedy politicans will downsize their wardrobe spending. Hmmm....
    As for Padme and a white costume, I'd like to see one as well. It's already been established in the last two films that Padme is good. She's been compared to an angel, has been dressed like an angel (TPM parade gown), and has worn all white when battling in the first fight of the Clone Wars.
    This time she is going to become the mother of the boy and girl who help to defeat the Empire and redeem Anakin. I think she should wear white at least once, especially in contrast to an all black clad Anakin. I can really picture George playing up the light/dark, good/evil imagery by having him in all black and her in all white.
    Oooooo....the possibilites!

Sorry for rambling on... :p

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes I agree that there may be a spate of wild colour and costumes, reflecting the turmoil of the political situation. I remember reading somewhere about fashion in the 16th century changing so quickly over the course of the 100 years, due to the volatile politics/religion of that century.

Edit - European fashion in the 16th century, that is.

8. Spitsweet

Spitsweet Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    Yes now that I think of it, they've made at least one white costume for Padme in the first two movies, so I cross my fingers she'll wear something white with a hood and large sleeve, and something very loose- that will be awsome :)

I am in the camp of those who cannot imagine Ep.III without Padme dying, and just imagine the scene, Palpatine killing Padme with lightnings, Padme's hairdo(similar to the Naboo nightgown hairdo) being messed up, the tears in her eyes, her simple white dress being burned- THAT would make such a good scene.........but anyways she can be killed in any other way possible, I just want to see Padme with a non-perfect hairdo in this film :)

9. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Denver, CO??? Ugh, why not San Diego? What do people have against beaches and nice weather?

10. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I just want to see Padme with a non-perfect hairdo in this film

YES!! lol

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    As for the rumors that CIII will be in Denver Colorado here is what I know.

I am part on the Rocky Mountain Fanforce, so I see alot of Denver.

Financially it is a good idea to have it here, as DIA is a major hub for many of the airlines and so therefore tickets will be cheaper.

Weather. Although I wasn't there for CI I did hear the weather sucked. And because it was outside I agree that it certainly put a damper on things. However there is currently being built a HUGE convention center. It should be bigger than the one in Indy! And since the mayor of Denver is a huge Geek he'd be more than likely to support us.

And as for local fans, come on! The Rocky Mountain Fanforce is lots of fun. Expect us to hold all kinds of get-togethers besides CIII. We know the best party places and what the Stormtroopers like to drink ;)

Ok I am stepping down from my soap box... (oh and btw if anybody wants to keep in touch about this just pm me).

For the colors that Padme wears I really hope that they are trying to blend smoothly into the color scheme of the OT. In TPM Padme is generally wearing very bold bright colors. In ATOC you see her wearing more of the ends of the spectrums, either very dark (senate gowns) or very light (wedding dress, rainbow dress, the amazing tearing battle outfit). And you can see something of the opposite with Leia. In ANH she wears white only. Very stark. Then in ESB as the Empires starts to teeter she begins to wear off whites and actual colors as seen in the cloud city dress. Then you see her make a statement (albeit unintending to) with the bikini in ROTJ.

It seems that the costumes in Star Wars follow the evolution of the character and the current politics of the universe.

Wow. That either made no sense or I am being very deep tonight. :D

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry, Jedi Girl, that made perfect sense. :)
    You are right, George is careful in picking out designs that reflect the scene. He has stated, numerous times, that he is a visual storyteller and the costumes his characters wear do more than just clothe them. They act as guages, especially for Padme and Leia who do not have to constrict their wardrobe to Jedi robes or Empire uniforms, for the tone of the situation, the character's moods and feelings, whether they are good/evil, etc.
    I think Padme's costumes in AOTC were done so very well in terms of how they illustrated what was going on with her emotionally at any given point of the film, and how they reflected her surroundings.
    So, I would expect the same for Ep.3.

If Padme wears white when she dies (I think she will die onscreen) it would symbolize the death of goodness in the galaxy. I envision something simple in white that would be stained by the time she were dead. It would be very poignant, indeed. :(

I was at Celebration I in Denver and although the venue was a logistical nightmare for the number of people who showed up, and the fact that I was drenched from hours of standing outside in lines that never moved for three days, I still had a blast. C2 was wonderful in Indy and I'll be at C3 no matter where they have it. San Diego, Denver, Indy, it doesn't matter to me as long as the venue is big enough and indoors.

13. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Denver, CO??? Ugh, why not San Diego?

Because it's too far for East Coast people, maybe? The last two have been rather centralized, close to the middle of the country (well, both about where the marks would be if you divided the country into thirds). Yes, there were people who had to travel a long way both times, but pretty much everyone had to travel.

As for Padme's wardrobe, JGoC , your analysis of colors in clothing made sense to me. :)

14. skywalker325

Jun 16, 2002
    I, too, am very excited about the use of color. I'd never stopped to think about it before, but definitely--the colors (and styles) reveal tone. :D My english teacher would be proud!

As for Padme dying onscreen, I have no idea what I think about that happening or not, but if it does, I like what spitsweet said on the subject a page or two back--I would like it to happen something like he described.

One of the issues brought up by our FF at the last meeting about CIII (from those who have gone before) is that in more metropolitan locations like Indy, many people would go just b/c they have nothing better to do that day. It would be even WORSE if it were in SoCal--everyone and their brother would come. In Denver, since most people would have to fly in, only the more dedicated fans would attend.

^^Makes sense to me, anyway, but I don't know if it's true. ?[face_plain]

15. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I noticed that even if the hairstyle or the costumes were messed up it is still hard for me to do.

But your right with the messed up hair and all.

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I'm glad I made sense :)

And I'm sure even the messiest hair that padme will have would be hardest to get. Although when she was in the arena on Geonosis her hair did start to get loose. Made me smile to see that.

Well all I know about CIII is no matter where I am I will be going. I haven't gone to the last two and I am dying to go to this one. And if it's in Denver that just means I'll have more money to spend on costume supplies :D

17. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I think having Padme with less than perfect hair would be fun! I had to laugh a bit in the areana fight of episode two, just because Padme's hair came undone a bit.
    As someone who is relitively new to going to conventions, my first one ever was Celebration 2. What I do know, is, that as a younger fan, getting to the other side of the country is a rather hard task. Having a central location in the middle of the US means that on whatever coast you are on, you have to do some sort of traveling to get there, yet it makes it more accessable to those who either can't afford to come across country to go to a convention, and that it brings something new to the center of the country. Yes, I know that GenCon is Indy, but, why wouln't Celebration 3 return there? I thought the RCA dome was amazing, with great parking close to the stadium, friendly people, and everyone fit inside. Myself, I would love for it to come to Louisville, but that's because I wouldn't have to travel, and because we've got two huge conventions ceters and such.*grins* But, that's just my ramblings that I'm poor and can't afford to go across country to San Diego for three days, or else I would be at Comic-con.

18. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm in Maryland, and Indy was a do-able drive - so I'm rooting for Indianapolis again! :)

If I had lots of time and $$ Denver would be great - I could spend some extra time out there. Colorado is so beautiful! :) But alas, I have neither!

Maggie

19. skywalker325

Jun 16, 2002
    wow, this thread stopped!!

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the Vanity Fair lady visiting the set on the 24th and taking pictures... 12:57:40 for starters.

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Annie Leibowitz's presence is par for the course since she also did photographic spreads for TPM and AOTC in Vanity Fair. Means we'll get more great photos. Yay! :)

12:57:40 of what day?

21. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    There was a picture of Bail in one of his costumes in the set diary a couple of days ago, It looked very simple, clean lines.

Heres a pic of Obi-Wan on set that was in a motorcycle magazine, someone posted it on the Episode III boards Ewan

liann

22. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Wow... he does look like a younger Alec Guiness in the first picture...

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, thanks lainn! I hadn't seen those pics of Ewan yet. He looks great.
    His collar looks higher, other than that his costume looks pretty much the same. Any Jedi costume experts around who can see anything new about it?

Yeah, the pic of Bail is great. His costume reminds me of a military uniform. Sorta Imperial. :)

24. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Great pics of Ewan, liannb! He does look very much like a young Alec.

But if you look closely, you can see they already made a connection with ANH, aside from the hair/beard. Notice his undertunic (see the undersleeves as he holds the paper and at the neck) is no longer cream, but dark brown. The Obi-Wan costume from ANH had a dark brown (or black--I can't remember of the top of my head which) undertunic, which could be seen at the neckline.

So there's another good look at the prequel to classic connection we'll be seeing. We're really gonna have to keep our eyes peeled when EIII comes out--who knows how many of those little connections we'll be able to pick out! :)

25. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    There were a few new pics of some of Padme's ??? outfits on the webcam. On aug 11 at 15:57:40 they're doing scans of costumes, it looks like a velvet cloak/robe with a high waisted purple sash. then at there's a shot of a black top at 15:57:40, at 15:58:00 there is a shot of a skirt being pulled off, its black with what looks like diamonds quilted onto it and some horizontal bands quilted on. Also at 15:42:20 there's a shot of another outfit, what looks like the top part of a maternity dress, in a pale blue or gray. just the way the dress hangs in front looks like a maternity dress.
    liann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.