main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode 3: Revenge of a horrible piece of Sith

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jhon_darklighter, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhon_darklighter

jhon_darklighter Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    How, I mean really how, can anyone enjoy watching the butchering of the classic and beloved Star Wars franchise. The prequels (so called) are nothing more than a vain, and saddenly desperate attempt by George Lucas to recapture the magic of his earlier films. I two words... HE FAILED. Now I understand some less, shall I say, astute, within our fold (that is the Star Wars mega geek, whom would actually post in Star Wars forums) have fallen in love with these films. My question: Why? It can't be for the story, that confuses backstory with familiarity. It can't be for dialogue, which makes and episode of Seinfield make sense. And it most certainly can't be because of the tremendous AAA level acting... of which there is none.

I can only guess, based on posts I've observed here and on the Official Star Wars fluff forums, that it is the CGI, which to be sure looks great, but means nothing. Reevaluation of the first two steaming loads, neither mesh CGI and live action seamlessly enough for it to be believeable. This recent decent into the Lucas rabbit hole shows one thing. ILM learned how to render... whooo! Some ask how many times will you see EP3? Well, to be honest Ive seen it three times since release and plan on more. Why? The first time I shut my mind off and took it the pretty explosions. The second time I paid attention to the story (virtually non-existent) and most recently I noted the dialogue...

Let me say if anyone wishes to go point to point... I am more than ready. And by the way... George Lucas should be hospitalized for dillusions of grandeur or imprisoned for crimes against Star Wars. His films should be removed from his control and all remade versions of the film should be burned... with the exception of the Digitally remastered and Special Editions (as they didn't screw with the story) The Star Wars franchised must be rescued from the vile clutches of its creator.

Just my two and half cents.

2. dr_sonic

dr_sonic Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Curb Your Enthusiasm, the world is a better place either way(and I've only seen the film twice).

3. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    wrong forum, wrong attitude.

4. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Yeah, it was kind of disappointing--chiefly due to the fact that they overused the CG, overhyped General Grievous, and then cut out key things--like the birth of the Rebellion.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I have to admit that I wish that the movie had shown the scenes between Padme and Bail in Padme's apartment where they were talking about creating an armed resistance movement against Palpatine's rule, but that and the weakness of Vader's Force Rage are my only real quibbles with the movie.

6. Runecrow

Runecrow Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2005
    Dude, whatever it is you're smoking, pass it over- because ROTS rocked. Re-capture the magic? Exactly what is "the magic" anyway?

Here's why all 6 episodes of the saga are cool:

1- Archetypical sci-fi connection to fantasy: Wizards, Knights, Princesses, Queens, Evil overlords, swords, etc. are cool enough to a certain mind-set. Push them into a "futuristic" setting and you've got a duel archetypical story that is creative.

2- Interesting new places: Whether its the ocean-world of e2, the cloud city of e5, the planet-city of e1-3, or the luminous flower planet of e3; the saga contains glimpses of environs that tickle the imagination (which the more imaginative person enjoys).

3- Interesting creatures/aliens: e4-6 had enough; e1-3 was filled with them. Again, imaginative persons enjoy seeing and sharing in the imaginations of others. Boga from e3 was a real treat. GL has envisioned another galaxy, and successfully peopled it into 3-d.

4- Hateable/grudginly-likeable characters: From the vampiric General Greivous to nasty Jabba the Hutt; nothing spells F-U-N like the archetypical nasties that are so cool that you hate to love them. Oily Palpatine and his serpentine ways to the black-armor-clad emblem of death himself, the Vader. Gold.

5- Jedi Knights/Lightsabers: A concept so awesome that it's been ripped off countless times. What's not to love about a group of ascetic knights dressed in flowing robes, wielding blades of colorful energy that make those damn cool sounds when they're used in combat?

6- The force: 'Nuff said.

7- Lovable/admirable characters: Whether it's feeling sorry for Jar Jar Geek...erm, Binks...because no one in the film likes him, smirking at the cool-handed cockiness of loner Han Solo, fretting the uncertain rise of young adventurer wanna-be Luke Skywalker, or cheering the noble swashbuckling adventures of bad-ass Obi-Wan Kenobi; the character archetypes ensure at least one character the viewer will identify with. Whether children, adolescents, or adults. Not many movies, if any, can pull that off.

8- Great story-line: A complete, cyclic slice of history; from the dawning of a vile Sith's scheme while he stands in the sunshine having his own dread theme played in up-tempo glee, to his deceptive take-over of the galactic republic, to his eventual defeat at the hands of the pawn that brought him to power. It's not only a fully peoples galaxy for the delight of the viewer- but it's fully historicized, as well.

9- Archetypical character relations: What?? Star Wars is not Casablanca?? Who cares- it's not supposed to be, and it would suck if it was. The character relations are all simple and archetypical. "I love you, you love me." "You're evil, I will destroy you" "We're pals, we'll stick together." "Listen to me and I will give you power." "I've been tricked!" "Help! Help! I need help!" Archetypical story-lines can effectively involve anyone, at any age. There is no specific target audience- it's a story for everyone.

10- Awesome battles: Nothing gets the listener/viewer into the zone like a frenetic battle, whether it's on the green fields of Naboo, in the atmosphere of Corusant, along the trench of the death star, or on the icy snow-scape of Hoth. The heart loves battle.

I could go on, but 10 should do.

George Lucas is a damn good story teller. His dialogue is utilitarian, and that's the way it should be. It shouldn't take children out of the equation- it shouldn't peddle to one age group. It should be acceptable across the board.

That is why George Lucas has effectively made a galaxy, peoples it, historicized it, and through archetypes, put us all in it.

That is why he will be remembered as a great storyteller who gave the world a great story.

7. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I like the story. The acting I didnt care about til I saw ROTS and realized that they could do much better. You dont like it, thats fine dont watch it then. I have no problem with the diologue. As for the CGI, how else would you do Coruscant? Or the big battles?

No one can truly judge if it is good or bad. They can merely give their opinion.

8. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow, great first post...now go back under your bridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.