main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode 3: Thoughts, reviews, opinions

Discussion in 'Archive: Quad Cities' started by QCPsychoJedi, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Equinn_Ankh

Equinn_Ankh Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah. I agree about it being noncommital. I mean, if you're going to do it, do it!

Now, the part didn't bother me. In fact, I really appreciate that part because it makes me laugh in between all of my sobbing--a nice thing to pace with. I just love that about this movie; I can giggle and sob at some of the not-meant-to-be-funny stuff at the same time.

Heehee, Frankenvader. I'm stealing that . . .

2. Beotaimh

Beotaimh Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    See, that kind of bothers me because that's not a part you want people laughing at. The intention of the scene seems to be to make us sympathize for Vader (having been responsible for what he was trying to avoid), and at the same time to be slightly horrified by what he's become. Then with the next two parts (Padme's funeral and the Death Star construction) take us even deeper into the "Oh crap. Things are bad" mindset before the scenes of the twins safely hidden away (with their promise of a possible redmeption).

To be comical at that point (even unintentionally) ruins that flow.

3. Jedi_Essex

Jedi_Essex Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    I agree with how Frankenvader pulls you from the mood. Also Lucas really has to stop chopping his films up, he loses alot that way. I think he's too envolved with every aspect of the film and he suffers from overkill and doesn't see what he should while editing. I mean come on Anakin/vader with his neck piece and right glove missing right before the helmet gets lowered? My 9 year old spotted that, seriously. I feel for Lucas, he has a lot to cover in so short a time but there were scenes that really didn't need to be filmed at all and could have covered areas that only had a line mentioned. Alot of continuty errors are my main complaints. I really did love the movie and all that mushy stuff.

4. Jedi_Essex

May 25, 2005
    One other thing that bothers me, is just how much effort was made to make every scene have some kind of tie-in. Let the movie happen and evolve naturally stop trying to overdue everything. Lucas had alot of pressure and fans to satisfy, myself included guilty as charged, but I believe if he would of told his story the way he really wanted it, it would have been completely differant. To me it was a good film but it felt to comercialized and just a place holder for the bridge between the O.T. Note to Obi-wan, stay away from fighting near pit's, you know if it's there your gonna find a way to slide over the side. G.G./Maul flashback?

5. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
    I don't think it was commercialized. The merchandising takes care of that. And Lucas is such a psycho about making things just so, that I doubt you could convince him to take a break from anything long enough to do a serious evaluation before releasing the film.
    He's gone back to redo so many things to the original trilogy that you can no longer say "if he told the story the way he wanted to it would be completely different." Obviously not since it's his story.

He tells it the way he wants and answers to no one. Those of us (myself included at times) can over-analyze things to death and find fault in the finished product no matter what it may be. No one human being is perfect therefore it is rediculous to expect a group of hundreds to create something like this with no mistakes.

Mistakes are human nature and part of what makes things unique.

After all in the end a film is the porduct of a film makers passions and some things get overlooked in the heat of getting these things done.

In fact I don't think there's been a single film in the history of the industry to go without a single mistake in continuity.

So we can either sit here and nit pick about how far Obi Wans hand is from the Boga when he pets it and how Codys head floats around as if it's not attached to his body (ok that one is just funny) or we can celebrate the connections to the original trilogy, and the playful easter eggs in every scene.

My only two issues with the film are two absolutely dreadful spoken lines. One from Padme and one from that Jedi kid. The other being the very disappointing method of Padmes death.

I still think the major problem is expectation. There is none with the OT because it's the OT. Even if there are errors in it we are blind to them because of our love for the classics in all of their simplicity. This makes it easy to pick on the PT because we're older and more cynical.

Either way it's more star wars content to discuss and I will love ROTS for what it is, a wonderful Star Wars contribution and a wonderful way to tie up the saga.

6. Jedi_Essex

May 25, 2005
    Although I agree that every movie is almost impossible to have perfect continuity, I also believe that if as many people were there working on this film as there was, they would have been kept to a minimun.(and maybe they were)
    I have loved Star Wars from the beginning and I will to the end, and I didnt go into the theatre expecting the Holy Grail, but to me it really felt like he wanted to take it over the top. This is partly the fans fault for putting such pressure on him to make everything perfect. Lucas has done a wonderful thing creating the whole Star Wars experience but anyone will tell you, if your to close to the fire, step out of the flames.
    I'm not the type to go thrugh the whole film bit by bit and analyze every detail for faults or errors, I was just voiceing the things that stood out (to me) and I found obvious.
    As far as Lucas saying his film is exactly the way he wants it (refering to the OT) to be, if that's true then we should expect zero changes when they are rererereleased this fall/winter or anytime after that. But hey it's his film and he can do what he wants.
    May the force Be With You and stuff

7. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    I've seen it for the 5th time and finally been satisfied with the movie going experience as a whole. I'm home and I'm relaxed. The theatres in a big metropolis have pizza huts and coffee bars inside the theatre, the screens are the biggest I've ever seen and the sound. Allelujia the sound was finally perfect. Loud, proud and in surround, the whole time!!!

There were also no jackasses causing distractions this time.

I was able to let go, get into it and feel the force. No longer thrown for a loop on the effects I was able to concentrate in subtleties and yes, even shed a tear this go around.

To date I have not noticed any continuity errors but maybe that's just because I'm too busy watching the movie and getting into it to remember to check to see if somones pearls on their nighty were tangled or straight lol.

I love this movie.

8. darth_Doh

darth_Doh Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2003
    So I was watching it agian the other day and I was noticin some stuff like the Falcon, Lucas's daughters, and The holy man himself. Granted I saw most of this stuff the first go around but eh. I also thaught I saw one of the cloud city ships but that could of been me going crazy.

9. Beotaimh

Beotaimh Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    I've seen it over five times now, and I'm thinking it's about time to just quit. The more I see it, the more nitpicky I'm beginning to become. Better to just leave it for awhile and wait for the (official) DVD.

10. Shadow_Lord22

Shadow_Lord22 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    I do not watch movies, so I will not be picking apart the performance of the actors or any of those other things that movie critics do. I am going to focus on the book. I understand that it is not the same as watching the movie, but the scenes were, for the most part, the same. I am far more satisfied with this one than I was with the previous two. They all had a point that they were aiming for, and I feel that they finally reached it here. I felt that Grievous was a bit odd, but then his character was necessary to the destruction of the Jedi and the ultimate fall of Anakin. I was also disappointed that Dooku did not play a larger role in this final episode, especially where he had been built up so powerfully at the end of the last. I also think that the revelation that Palpatine was actually a Sith Lord should have been played for a more horrifying portryal. Especially where he was willing to kill to get his own way.

11. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    How can you live in this culture and have apolicy against watching movies? Furthermore how can you be a Star Wars fan and not watch movies? There's a terrible breakdown in logic there. I mean I understand that generally books are better than movies in that they show a more complete picture and everything but still man, there's just no experience like it, seeing something on the big screen that was designed for that medium.

Star Wars is a movie first and a book second. It was designed for the film medium. This just baffles me.

12. UluUlix

UluUlix Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    Hey Psycho-There is no need to bash someone about their personal preferences. If this person reads books and does not choose to watch a ton of the crap that Hollywood puts out-more power to him. I personally have enjoyed the Clone Wars novels and it has revealed more of the answers that Lucas did not in the movie. The book is far better than the movie. But do not belittle this person. That is not right.

13. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    Woah, slow down there sparky. I wasn't bashing anyone. I'm just expressing surprise at the apparent disassocication between film and literature in this genre. Usually the two go together and are intended to express different things. Kind of like being two different toppings on a pizza that alone don't taste nearly as good as they do together.

People can have whatever preferences they want about what content they expose themselves too and I'm usually the first one to jump on the "It's from Hollywood therefore it must suck" bandwagon. It's just that the films are what are solely responsible for making this what it is and to have a policy against watching them baffles me, that's all. I didn't say it disgusted me or offended me.

14. Shadow_Lord22

Shadow_Lord22 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    I shock a lot of people when I tell them about not watching movies. I understand your questions. I understand the question. It is not that big of an issue for me. I will try to be more helpful when when I am not suffering more distractions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.