main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 3 vs Episode 9 buildup

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by oldtimefan 2, Jun 21, 2018.

1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I loved ROTS & it's still my fav Star Wars movie & I loved TLJ & it's my second fav Star Wars movie so I'm really looking forward to EP9 & see what JJ can bring - If he plays it a little safe then that's ok - absolutely can't wait for the first trailer & all the build up too......

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I can see the appeal of "We have no idea what's going to happen" in the moment up until it's release, But once it comes out and we can judge all three films as a cohesive unit I think is where the problems will show-up for people looking at it the way I am anyway. I just don't see how it's not going to come off as a set of films made up and strung together without a coherent vision or unifying point unless JJ pulls off some miracle in bringing it all together in a satisfying and poignant way. Both the original and, love it or hate it, prequel trilogies did have consistent narrative and thematic arcs that carried and developed throughout all their installments. I don't have a feel for what this trilogy is really supposed to be about or what the arc of its central protagonist is supposed to be. Again, this isn't about wanting to know absolutely everything that's going to happen in the film.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  3. bweurk

bweurk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 11, 2018
    It's the same with the original trilogy, only the prequels were planned...
    And as with the original trilogy, the first movie is here to introduce us the characters, the second movie gives us the thematics, and the third one has to resolve them...
    Now that i think about it, the prequel trilogy also works that way, and i am not sure it was really planned... it's just that we knew how it would end, so we have an illusion of a planned arc, but the only thing was just "the fall of Anakin Skywalker"... i am not sure what the clone war was going to be was planned before Lucas shot TPM, i am not sure Lucas had planned exactly why Anakin would fall, how Padme would die, and all the details...
    TPM introduction of the characters (Obi Wan, Anakin, Padme, Palpatine)
    AOTC introduction of the thematics (Anakin's dark side)
    ROTS resolving of the thematics (Fall of Anakin)

ANH introduction of the characters (Luke, Han, Leia)
    TESB introduction of the thematics (Luke has to face his own origin)
    ROTJ resolving of the thematics (Redemption of Anakin)

TFA introduction of the characters (Rey, Finn, Poe)
    TLJ introduction of the thematics (the list would be very long and since we have not seen the third movie, we do not know yet which one will be the big thematics of the movie)

scuiggefest likes this.
  4. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I mean what else is left for IX? Kylo Ren might as well have committed seppuku due to his emotional instability, leaving the First Order to destroy itself after countless infighting. AOTC at least teased more of the Clone Wars and the eventual rise of the Empire and if all you're going to do is waste the legacy of the Rebellion with a retread of the Galactic Civil War, then you're better off watching the OT again and ignoring what comes after.

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    When it comes to the plot, ROTS will always be the most significant Star Wars movie in history.

6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I was soo hyped for episode 3. For three years we had been getting stories of the Clone Wars, comics, books, games and the tv show. All of these built up my interest.

While 9, has not had anything like that. So far one comic I think, we might get a single book, or maybe something with a new Battlefront (BF2 2017, did end in a way that could lead into 9, or even the end of 8)

But in a year and a half we will have it. I honestly think that's not enough time to generate the same level of hype.

Not to mention that this is just another Star Wars story, while 3 was seen as the final one at the time. As well, TLJ felt like an ending.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yeah tough for any movie to compete with the birth of Darth Vader.

8. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Wrong for me anyway I really enjoyed Rogue One but I loved all the other six real Star Wars movies also even the very different PT.
    I was already turned off TFA after the first teaser when I seen a stormtropper and Tie Fighters.
    I had watched through the SIX movie saga a few times and I really loved it.
    The fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire followed by the rebellion and victory over the Empire.
    What comes next? I was fascinated and I seen the pictures of George Lucas at the story meetings I was prepared for something totally different and unexpected.

[​IMG]

I was excited for Episode 3 because Episode 1 and 2 and blown me away while not perfect movies they were very good movies in my opinion.

I really hope I can look back and say while I did not like Episode 7 or 8 they set up Episode 9 which really surprised me and put me back in love with the franchise.
    Being honest I am not very optimistic nor am I expecting much but maybe that is a good thing.

I never wanted the familiar but I overlooked that in Rogue One since it was such a great movie.
    Also it really belonged with the other six movies it did not contradict or soft reboot the saga.

Episode 9 new ships new worlds that look like something out of this world.
    Monsters the political situation in the galaxy explained or shown.
    I am all for the unknown as long as it blows me away.

No more featureless snow deserts trees or small villages.
    This is Episode 9 if it is the climax of the saga if should be the biggest and most spectacular.

9. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Here on the forums, I see few comments about how exciting Ep 9 will be. Nevertheless, personally I cannot wait to see how the huge new concepts that TLJ introduced pan out. I'm talking about the fact that total nobodies can be stronger in the force in this new era than even jedi masters were in previous films, and the fact that the force is not a static constant of the universe, but something dynamic with properties that almost seem sentient--something that has awakened. Ep 9 ought to be a sweeping epic like none of the star wars films that have come before!

Sard_Oola likes this.
  10. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    No, not interested in the rebellion, we were done with that.

No, not really interested in the Nu Empire, we were done with that too.

Vaguely, but again, we saw that with Anakin/Vader over six movies.

No doubt a brilliant one, but would have preferred if they had let us see what kind of Jedi LUKE had become after ROTJ.

We will know if Mark Hamill signs up. He's big on Twitter, we'll know.

That, for me at least, is the only point of interest. I'm rooting for them to pull it out of the fire.

11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Episode 3 definitely has the advantage since people were finally seeing the birth of Darth Vader, while i ain't totally sure what to expect from episode 9... JJ may open a few of those mystery boxes again but right as of now they seem fairly closed.

12. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    It makes more sense to compare the buildup to Episode VI rather than Episode III. After ESB, nobody knew what ROTJ would hold. We got entirely new bad guys in Jabba and the Emperor (mentioned but never seen), a return to Tatooine, a huge expansion of what the Rebel Alliance was - Mon Mothma, the Mon Cals, Ackbar, Madine, etc.); a greatly expanded role for Lando, another Death Star, etc. That's a lot of new stuff that is introduced and dealt with over 2 hours. I really hope for a substantial time jump between VIII and IX to give time for things to build up: Poe leading the Resistance, Kylo Ren warping himself via the Dark Side; Rey finding some other Force sensistives to try and build something that can take on the KoR, etc.

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    I have to disagree with that for one big reason there was no internet back in the 80s.
    Also most of us were kids back in the 80s I was only nine.

I was in my 30s during the build up to Episode 3 and I visited and posted on these boards a lot and I can't remember my username from back then I stopped posting after the movie was out.

Even at the tender age of nine I was dying to see what happened in ROTJ and I was even more excited for ROTS.

The problem with Episode 9 is not that I do not know what to expect the problem is at the moment I do not really care.
    The Last Jedi was not new and different it was just a poor follow up to a poor film that did not even fit together with the other film.

Finn pilots the shuttle from the fleet to canto bite for example a few days before that he did not know how to fly a ship remember he needed a pilot to escape Empire 2.0?
    Did he learn how to fly while he was in a coma?
    As for diversity in these movies I loved Lando in the originals as for Finn he is just badly written he was a janitor for Empire 2.0 for goodness sake.
    And it is not just Finn all the new cast is poorly written and Episode 8 contradicts Episode 7 which in turn contradicted the whole Star Wars saga.

Still after all that I hope we get a really good Episode 9.

14. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    Sounds like you really disliked XII and XIII, so there's not much to be done to get you excited about IX. Sorry that you feel that way. If you don't care, would suggest just living your life until it comes out and not worrying about the minutia of spy reports and rumors.

I would think that most people in the galaxy could fly a shuttle, but not a lot could fly a TIE. Sort of like most people could ride a bike down the street, but if we were asked to drive a motorcycle 150 mph while being shot at, we would not fare so well.

oldtimefan 2 likes this.
  15. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Thanks for the list of more stuff to look up! As always, Smuggler, you give me new hope for SW.

Ditto. 'Nuff said. I'm still shocked that I was actually answered regarding the question 'how can you screw up SW?' A big feat indeed.

Apparently we're just supposed to FORGET about the OT and PT altogether. There was this lady commenting about how the ST apparently takes all the best parts of SW and wraps them up into two films so we don't have to bother much with the OT and PT; I swear to God there were few moments in my life where I EVER felt so Pissed Off.

In answer to the Ep. III vs. Ep. IX buildup....Yeah, there's NO comparison. I really don't care. I may be a 'hater' but I assure y'all, I'm a hater with cause, not just to simply 'hate.'

16. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    the sad truth is that they won't even bother to give us the necessary amount of lore, so, what's the point of the hype to begin with? IX will just be a Kylo vs Rey movie. ROTS main problem is that Lucas went overboard with ideas and lore...I predict that IX's biggest problem, like VII, will be the lack of lore and lack of answered questions...
    the ST main asset was the comeback of the Big 3 (Luke, Leia, Han) and with all of them gone by IX, the hype is gone as well...
    call me jaded, but TLJ may have been the last (ironic, eh?) SW movie to be hyped-excited about...IX just an epilogue...

and don't get me wrong, I'm truly curious about the ending of the Rey vs Kylo arc, but all the enthusiastic questions, hopes and ideas I had back in 2012 when the ST was announced, were already answered or ignored in TFA and specially VIII...at this point, I'm not gonna get excited about the possibility of Coruscant reappering, for example, because most probably it won't...or Lando...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  17. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    There doesn't seem to be much curiosity about anything else, even among people who love VIII. Two movies in and everything/every character outside of the Force plot feels like glorified filler.

18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    EHT likes this.
  19. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I get the feeling that for a lot of people, Episode 9 won't be an act of going to see a movie. It'll be the act of rubbernecking on a high-stakes election - one that'll determine the future course of one of the most storied and culturally significant entertainment companies in history.

20. Elizabeth Mattos

Feb 26, 2018
    Nope. I didn't watch Solo, either. No boycott, just genuine disinterest.

If they do KOTOR, I'll come back running. [:D]

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Haha that's funny me and my friend were just talking about that game. It's coming out for XBox One.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just going to have to wait until the trailers start being released to judge my interest in seeing E9 or not.

23. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well it's actually out now for backwards compatibility

christophero30 likes this.
  24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yes. I have a 360 with backwards compatibility so I can play KOTOR 1 and 2.

25. Elizabeth Mattos

Feb 26, 2018
    I'm sure the trailers will be boss (VIII's were), but we're two movies in and I haven't warmed to any of the new characters and dislike how the legacy was handled. Nothing in Abrams oeuvre makes me believe he has the chops to change my mind, so I've emotionally checked out and made my peace with the ST just Not Being My Thing. I know I won't be watching IX in the same way I know I won't be watching Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, it's all good.