main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The body replacement they did for Chris Evans in Captain America is the way to go.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I found the young Prof X and Magneto effects in X3 to be very convincing. I don't know what degree of photorealism you're demanding from merely human artists and craftsmen, but my own standards of realism were certainly met.

3. I_Died_Once

I_Died_Once Jedi Master

Mar 14, 2005
    I might be wrong, probably am... but one of the main reasons I don't see them going with the EU is they'll have to pay the writers of whatever story they would use. Sure, Lucas might own the names and likeness rights to the characters, someone else sat down and wrote the story, and it being made into a big production movie would mean having to pay big production bucks for the story. Its cheaper to just come up with your own plot. Ever though Disney has the money to do it, it wouldn't be prudent. *If* it WAS based off of a EU story, everyone and their brother would aquire copies of said story and no one would be surprised come screen time. Its a wise business move.

4. I_Died_Once

I_Died_Once Jedi Master

Mar 14, 2005
    Personally, I'm looking forward to things like... a new Hutt, more mythology about the Force, and if possible, a Billy Dee Williams reprisal.

5. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    It is going to be a totally original story.

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/LFL_Source_SW_Episode_VII_An_Original_Story_148665.asp

The best thing to do for now is to try to be realistic about this.

That considered im sure Disney, Lucas, Mark himself and everyone else would love to give Mark an honorable part in the first film as the character he was ALWAYS meant and set up to play: The wise Jedi Master who passes down inspiration/wisdom/empowerment to the "new" main character(s).

It wont be a large role, nor should it be. If anything his "big appearance" will be one of the classiest, most satisfying moments in both the film itself and film history in general.

That being said there are a few rational, practical ways to do this:

1.) Many have pointed to the recent breakthroughs in "de-ageing" technology in a few films as well as tron (a Disney film that even had a SW reference in it!). I think this is VERY likely. They wouldn't have to go crazy but they could just ever so slightly "touch up" what they need to in marks face/weight.

2.) If he is a Force Ghost it will make virtually everything about his appearance a lot easier for obvious reasons.

3.) There is something to be said about how he might simply be naturally old enough by now but realistically he will need some touching up somewhere weather it be in the face (not so likely) or in the body (likely). George himself (and Mark) have stated the plan was always to use his natural ageing.

Personally, I think that in the end his body will be touched up with CGI but not his face.

This gives me goosebumps just thinking about. Can you imagine how surreal Mark must have felt in his meeting with George (and Carrie) that he attended when Lucas told him.

Also

Why was Carrie at the meeting as well? She has lost a lot of weight and looks amazing. Really, she looks like she did in the early 90's. Could this sudden weight loss have anything to do with this film? Im thinking its just a coincidence but she was invited to the meeting...[face_thinking]

I want to know more about this meeting. In the coming weeks/months we will find out more and more.

6. DACK07

DACK07 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2005
    I'm not sure why so many are drawing what I feel are incorrect conclusions from what's been stated so far by GL, and Disney. In the interview from the other day with Kathleen Kennedy Lucas clearly said he had story treatments for the ST, and those were being passed along to Disney. Do you honestly think The Walt Disney Corporation is going to set those on fire?

If they didn't intend to at least use some of Lucas's original vision for the ST they would not have claimed them in the deal, nor would they have asked him to remain on board as a creative consultant.

As for the whole "original story" comment.....it seems pretty apparent to me that Disney is stating this will be a new story that does not copy any EU plot line, but that doesn't mean it won't prescribe to Lucas's original framework. I think it's amazing how some people can speculate to the point of practically fabricating quotes, comments, or statements to support their own hypothetical beliefs.

-Mark Hamill can very much play Luke again because the timeline fits...Luke will be 60-70 years old.
    -It will be an "original story" meaning new screenplay, plot, surrounding characters, but that doesn't mean it won't involve Skywalkers or be the true sequel to the OT.....just not related to any SW fiction already in print.
    -Will Luke & Leia be the central characters?...probably not, but I can realistically see them getting the level of screen time that Alec Guinness had in the OT...i.e. mentoring the new generation...ghost cameo's in subsequent films, etc.

I think we are overcomplicating this with too much speculation. In the end.....GL will deliver & Disney will too. We are going to get what we have wanted for decades. Luke Skywalker on the big screen once more.

Angel Eyes and syferdiasisalie like this.
  7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Speculation is all we have right now and there is no stopping it. Until the first real spoilers come out, we're all just guessing based on the sales press release etc.

Having gone through this with the PT... speculation is an animal that cannot be caged.

obi-rob-kenobi4 and yodasbum like this.
  8. DACK07

DACK07 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2005
    Agreed. The main point I was trying to make is that in the end, I think "original story" doesn't mean we won't see some "original OT characters". But of course, the speculation has a life of it's own.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    obi-rob-kenobi: Please stop trying to pass off your own personal interpretations of the information we currently have as concrete and factual. We're already aware that Episode VII will be an original story; all that means, though, is that it won't be a direct adaptation of any of the existing EU material.

DACK07: Everyone keeps stating that Disney is in charge of this new trilogy, but that is false. Lucasfilm - which will remain an autonomous company under the larger Disney corporate umbrella - is in charge of producing the trilogy. Disney will be involved in the films only in that they are Lucasfilm's parent company and will be in charge of distributing the films along with Lucasflm.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    First, Hollywood personal trainers are VERY effective, and much cheaper than special effects and CGI ;)
    [​IMG]

The only CGI needed is erasing Ford's earring..

Remember, if timed right, this story can take place right at the appropriate age the actors are at now.

As far as losing the EU, I honestly am only a ROTJ or EARLIER EU reader. I've just never read the post ROTJ books, so I guess it's best if I don't start now :) I do however will be happy if they DON'T kill off Chewie like the EU did!! I do feel for the post ROTJ EU fans as I suffered a similar fate with Karen Travis' Republic Commando series. Some of the best Clone Wars stories, especially the Mandalorian parts. But alas TCW series rewrote that history :(

I say bring back the original actors! This will help get the OLD folks back into Star Wars. What I've found is people my age and older didn't connect with the prequels (I did, I loved them) as much. I think just out of nostalgia purposes they'd get those fans back. And the young folks? They'd probably like it regardless of the actors they cast, so just go original.

11. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Why even try such an adventure with hamil? Disney has the money and needs work for his technical staff at pixar. Its way easier for them to calculate some few hundred hours of a CGI aRTIST than the personel situation of a maybe bitter Mark Hamil. I even can imagine that he would not stand this new hype anymore. Maybe this would harm him more. All of this stress (People use alcohol against stress, if you understand what i mean..)

Look what they have done to Schwarzenegger, a true A class Hollywood actor

if they can do this to arnie, than they can also do it to hamil. all hamil can do is voice acting his good looking cgi model.

12. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Do you Realy compare Mark hamil and Harrison Ford? ford managed to become a world star.

This is Mark Hamil 2012...

[​IMG]

looks like a (re)tired person.

look at ford. he still looks like he can take the stress of a hollywood movie and have some drinks and young girl friends...

13. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    i dont think so. disney is boss now. they can do whatever they want. and all they want is making profit and becoming bigger and bigger.

14. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    DM99: You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the Disney Corporation, especially since the continued existence and autonomous operation of Pixar and Marvel tell us exactly what we can expect from Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They specifically said they were going to follow the Marvel Studios model.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I really think that they only need a small role for Luke, perhaps a couple of Force sensitives go looking for him to be trained and finally catch up with him at the end of the movie. Either way, an original story is good.

17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm fine with a sequel trilogy not involving Han, Leia, and Luke. Mark Hamill seems to be the only actor of those three who would definitely be involved, like someone from one Star Trek series popping up in another. Plus, if it is set that many years later, it would match the time span between the Prequels and the CT. I just hope they don't pull a ten-year gap kind of thing within the new trilogy. I hope it is intricately planned better as a whole than the Prequels.
    Let's Luke at, I mean Lucas, I mean Let's look at Lucas' "rhyming" methods and the story arc about the state of the galaxy: Prequels: Good to Bad, Classic Trilogy: Bad to Good... I'm looking forward to seeing a contrast to the peace at the end of ROTJ, perhaps right from the get-go.
    Crap, now I'm turning into a story speculator.

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    As much as I welcome the new stories, this doesn't sound as they have EU in mind, so it saddens me that they might choose to ignore the EU continuity that has been built for years.

I hope that at least some the individual characters will be familiar ones...

19. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The odds are they make their own brand new characters to use in the Sequel Trilogy, I hope they use EU characters, but I have a worrisome feeling that they won't. Even if they did use EU characters, I don't think they have to go by the EU, especially if they set the ST in 45 ABY, where there are no EU stories set during this time, so TPTB have a completely blank slate with which to start from. Plus they also have (previously established) potential next-generation protagonists in the forms of Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo. Nothing has been said to make me think they will or will not use them. But it seems too perfect a fit to me for them to use at least these two characters. Luke, Leia, and Han as the wise old sages and Ben & Jaina as the young protagonists that can be focused on. In my mind you can have a completely original story, but still be able to use these characters, I hope TPTB see it the same way.

20. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    When was that Ford pic taken?

Here's one I found from 2012........

[​IMG]

;)

21. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    the Arnold thing worked in salvation ok, mainly because you do not see him too much. Also, he does not speak. If they try to do this Avatar style, it would be ridiculous. They will be old and that is that. Even digital youthing could end up just looking creepy. I think the movie will be like a new hope with Luke as a Jedi master mentoring the next "hope".

One thing I am wondering is what will the new threat be? Will it be similar to the Thrawn books with the remnants of the empire still there?

22. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    HamilĀ“s last role was in the b movie Airborne - come die with me. Its a joke. You can watch the trailer on youtube. Please watch it and tell me if you would give such a performance enough trust to give him a role in a Hollywoodblockbuster.

I nearly cried to see that poor mans actuall condition.

23. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    As much as people love Luke, Han, & Leia... I highly doubt everyone is clamoring to watch an adventure/fantasy epic starring a bunch of seniors. Their story is finished, and revolving this new trilogy around them - to me - would feel like nothing more than a giant fan service. They should absolutely be involved in some capacity, but as supporting roles. Leia could be the queen of some planet our heroes encounter during their journey or something, and god knows how they'll use Han. As for Luke? He's the only one I could see playing a big part. He'll probably be the Old Ben of the Episode VII.

I must admit, just the thought of seeing Luke Skywalker again on the big screen is kind of cool.

Sean Sinclair and darthgator1217 like this.
  24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Hoping for some sort of rogue pupil of Luke starts a young Sith clan.

25. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    They are not going to throw away the EU. Ep VII will mesh and create it's own trilogy without changing anything we have read. People need to calm down.