main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 7 and SWTOR

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheBBP, Jun 23, 2014.

1. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    <angry cynistic guy mode>Nah, there will only be OT-planets anyway, so there are no new planets to add</angry cynistic guy mode>

Sounds great, but I hope they won't make it more confusing than it already is with the canon/not-canon thing.

2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

I tend to agree but seriously. It was the 3000 year old past. They have plenty of freedom as it is.

3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The PT has introduced the Sith without really explaining what they are...

4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

And the Jedi code. And the prophecy. And the trade federation.

5. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Do we really want everything explained in detail though? People complained a lot about the things they did explain. Their explanations are rarely going to be what people already have in their minds. Seems like if they don't explain, people complain and if they do explain, people still complain.

As for the SWTOR rumor itself, I find it very hard to believe. I don't want to say it's in maintenance mode, but there's a clear massive drop-off in effort from when the game came out. Seems like BioWare shifted all of their leads to work on something else (the rumored SW game?), and just put out bits of content here and there in TOR. Would be cool if they tried investing more in it again though.

6. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, SWTOR is a dead game. Like most MMOs it's in maintenance mode, where any and all profit is used simply to keep the servers up. Once that downward spiral starts, it's impossible rectify it, no matter how hard a company tries to give it a second wind. I just don't see Disney/Lucasfilm putting any effort in to tying it into Episode VII. In fact, I expect they will announce its shutdown at some point in the near future to pave way for yet a newer, canon-based game.

darklordoftech and Ryus like this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Simply put, I hated just about everything SWTOR (huge pro KotOR 1 & 2 fan though) minus the three trailers. The game tried to be a jack of all trades but turned out to be a master of nothing and a failure in a few things. That said I have no problem with bioware milking some profit out of the game before its servers get turned off, something should be funding the new Battlefront after all.

I personally would view them adding a planet from VII into the game as a neat way to get spoilers and just an EU Legends story winding down, like the books did with Crucible (hopefully for SWTOR fans it will be better than that book though). MMOs aren't as profitable as they once where, especially if limited to the pc platform (Blizzard put Diablo III on consoles to attempt to broaden there market after all for a reason). That said we might get a new canon MMO but I expect it will be less 'ambitious' and focus more on having expansion packs or DLC at a more rapid pace to keep interest up.

My real problem with this idea though is if it hits it off Disney will want to make a movie and then we'll be back to a heirarcy of canon like the old EU (face it, we all know if any time period will become a new movie saga its KotOR/SWTOR (though SWTOR is too many characters and too many game hours to adapt as easily as KOTOR) we likely won't go post VII-IX since Disney will want to keep the option of X-XII open, so that limits other time period stories to the past to the history of the republic and prehistory but never a Legacy type series set in the future (unless we somehow get an infinites type approval like Dark Horse comics got for a time but I doubt it). So I expect we'll be getting story based games more like Jedi Knight which focus on peripheral characters or just all out battle games like battlefront. I honestly think EA will want to play this safe and not attempt to build a new massive timeperiod until they know what Disney and Lucasfilms are doing and by then there contract with them will be half way over so no time to build and release a new grand MMO. However if we hear the lincesing agreement randomly gets extended then that's when we'll know a new MMO is on the way... however until such time EA is likely going to milk SWTOR until its unprofitable (and will continue shutting down servers bit by bit as profit drops) with as many runic as they can get away with (like what were discussing here, somthing from VII is in a future expansion of SWTOR) while funding a strong line up of good games but which lack the ambition of creating a new era like KotOR did or scale of SWTOR, instead we'll get things like playing as a random Jedi after Order 66 by Bioware or EA's attempt at a Rogue Squadron knockoff by someother studio they own.

Its the spinoffs, the books, and Marvel Star Wars comics that will likely be the ones to introduce our larger GFFA new canon back to us (save maybe bioware which likely will create a new world and characters in whatever action RPGthey make though it likely will be set between ep 1-6, not the old republic) since its mostly stuff Disney can keep all in house. The video games however won't go bold for a bit unless Disney tells them too, like Lucasarts did when they asked for a new Star Wars MMO like KotOR. EA on there own was never so bold, they're a profit first type operation at the sacrifice of story if need be (bioware used to be one of the most trusted brands for example, but now after EA bought it a big fanbase is very upset with them after what they view as mishaps such as Mass Effect 3, Dragonage 2, and SWTOR).

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well I am a huge fan of SWTOR so to me this would be cool if true.

Sent from my R2 unit

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You heard it here first: KOTOR III will replace SWTOR.

Ryus likes this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.