main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 7 and The MacGuffin

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    First - what is a MacGuffin

Will there be one in Episode 7?

What form do you think it will likely take? A mysterious artifact? A person who needs rescue? An all powerful weapon ala The Death Star or Clone Army?

Your wild guesses and irrational debate goes here!

Immortiss likes this.
  2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm intrigued so I will let this be for now.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think Luke may serve as a MacGuffin of sorts. I think it would be neat if a part of the film deals with the new protagonist looking for their mysterious Uncle Luke.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Not just Luke, but Han & Leia as well. They don't really need to be there, but they will be... possibly.

5. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I'll take a stab.
    My guess is that we learn in the first part of Episode VII that the Galactic Government is now, (or has been since the end of the Empire) in disarray. -- I know, I really went out on a limb there :p.
    One "MacGuffin" could be searching for order to bring the government and it's people to peace.

But maybe more of a "MacGuffin" is Luke and company striving to get a new Jedi organization into place. I suspect there will have been some difficulties with this with the Jedi being tied so closely to the Government in the past, possible blame for the Emperor taking over and even disagreement within the Jedi organization.

Immortiss and Dasan like this.
  6. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I hope it isn't red matter...

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's the stuff from which dreams are made.

Immortiss likes this.
  8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think it's helpful to detail the past SW MacGuffins -

TPM - Anakin himself is a sort of MacGuffin, as is the search for the mysterious Sith master who taught Darth Maul.
    AOTC - the clone army and who created it,
    ROTS - the search for Darth Sidious ?

ANH - rescuing Princess Leia, the Death Star
    ESB - Finding Yoda, revelation that Darth Vader is Luke's father?
    ROTJ - Rescuing Han, Death Star mk 2

9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    McMuffin.

Sorry.:rolleyes:

Edit: Force McMuffin.

Not sorry. [face_devil]

Edit II: Okay seriously, a very special Ewok is kidnapped. By the end of the movie, no one remembers.

Edit III: A very special lightsaber stuck in a rock that only a true hero can remove. Some kidnaps the rock.

Edit IV: No one remembers.

WatTamborWoo and Immortiss like this.
  10. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I never thought that Star Wars had a macguffin - just a plot.

Macguffin is more Indy - the ark, the stones, the grail, the skull.

11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I was under the impression that the MacGuffin in TPM was exactly that; The Phantom Menace that the good guys had just been made aware of. I'm probably wrong though ;)

Immortiss likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Whilst the Star Wars films don't contain a MacGuffin as strong/obvious as the Indy movies, they do have occasional similar elements nonetheless... I think the MacGuffin in TPM was Queen Amidala... She was the one that the Jedi were protecting and the Sith/Trade Federation were trying to capture... AOTC was the mystery of Kamino (as you rightly allude to). ANH was definitely the Death Star plans (IMHO). The rest don't really feature MacGuffin's...

As far as Ep VII is concerned... I'd really like it to be either an errant/lost Jedi Master called Luke Skywalker or a Sith Holocron which could take our antagonists/protagonist to Korriban... Better still...
    Opening crawl -
    "35 years after the fall of the Galactic Empire. Luke Skywalker, hero of the Civil Wars and head of the new Jedi Order, has disappeared whilst on a quest to locate a fabled Sith Holocron - which details the prophecy of the Chosen One and the lineage of his father, Anakin Skywalker. Concerned for his safety, President Leia Organa Solo has dispatched a group of Jedi Knights to his last known whereabouts, the ancient Sith planet of Korriban, to locate her lost brother..."

JoDark and TheManFromMortis like this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'd like for Ep 7 to feature a briefcase with a mysterious glowing object inside of it. Samuel L. Jackson can play Mace's son, who has been instructed to retrieve the briefcase for his boss.

jaqen, DarthRelaxus, cdgodin and 4 others like this.
  14. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I'll be happy as long as it's not another Death Star.

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    The MaGuffin is a gimmick. I don't think SW will, or needs to employ a gimmick to motivate the plot.

16. Darth Archimage

May 28, 2013

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."

eht13 and darklordoftech like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Episode VII and the McMuffin...? Did they begin announcing the McDonald's tie-in licensing, already...?

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Kind of agree with you here, but if the MacGuffin is integrated into the plot well enough and does not figure too essentially into the story, I think it could work. It really comes down to the execution.

However, if it turns out something like Mass Effect 3, where the MacGuffin ends up creating a Deus Ex Machina (or some would say Diabolus ex Machina) to completely resolve the plot, seemingly out of nowhere, then no, I don't want that at all---especially no 'plot coupons'.

Immortiss and Echo-07 like this.
  19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The McMuffin is a gimmick too, but a tasty one, I have to admit.

JediWheelz and DarthRelaxus like this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like those gimmicks with sausage, egg, and cheese... yum.

21. Darth Archimage

May 28, 2013
    How about a little Darth McGuffin McLovin?
    [​IMG]

Boxster and Dra--- like this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Actually, these are Macguffins

TPM - the liberation of Naboo
    AOTC - the protection of Padme
    ROTS - the seduction of Anakin

ANH - delivery of the plans
    TESB - the capture of Luke
    ROTJ - defeat of the Emperor

23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    An antidote, a kaibur crystal, secret knowledge, an ancient relic, a lost kingdom, a ring, a crown and/or a mysterious identity. It would be interesting to see a SW MacGuffin driven film in Episodes VII or, preferably VIII, that find our heroes in a "damn fooled idealistic crusade", racing against time and limited resources to procure something that is vital to both sides in the story.

Star Wars Episode VIII: Crusaders of the Ancients.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Those aren't really Macguffins, but more plot points. :)

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah I think a MacGuffin is an important object or device that drives the plot. The ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark or the One Ring in the LotR are famous examples. The "Allspark" in Transformers is a pretty lame example I can think of.

This actually crossed my mind recently when I watched some of the Harry Potter movies again. Man that series should be called Harry Potter & the MacGuffins! There are so many & by the last couple of books/movies it reaches ridiculous levels. You have so many important magical objects that everyone is chasing. Between all of the horcruxes, the deathly hallows, magical swords, wands etc etc, seriously there are at least a dozen important MacGuffins in the last couple of movies. JK Rowling is the Queen of the MacGuffins!

Star Wars hasn't been so reliant on them so far. The Death Star plans in ANH are the most glaring example I can think of & they worked really well.

cdgodin, Echo Base and Darth_Pevra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.