main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST episode 7 jakku canon?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarkSpooler, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSpooler

DarkSpooler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2015
    so the new battlefront will be releasing in about 6 months. Mixed reactions have already sprung up about it however, I'm pretty excited but I think original battlefront fans will be a little disappointed, that's just me tho. Do you think it was hurried or rushed to coincide with episode 7? Is battlefront canon? Will the battle jakku be referenced in the force awakens? Maybe battlefront should be delayed so the high expectations can come again? With battlefront a release, I think most of the attention will be focused on the force awakens. What do you think?

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The Battle of Jakku is the first DLC for the game... The event, the Battle of Jakku, is canon; how exactly it plays out is another matter, and the rest of the game itself isn't exactly canon (there's no real story there anyway). The Battlefront novel, tho, will be canon, and may contain the canon version of the Jakku battle... I expect some reference to it, in passing, in the film. With the one rumor that MVS is a former commander of a Star Destroyer that crashed, his origin may come up.

3. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Battle of Jakku is definitely canon.
    That said, for a new gen game, what they're giving us for the initial $60 seems like bare bones and barely a game. I can't say it was rushed since they've had over 2 to 3 years to work on it, and other companies have rushed out bigger (content wise) games faster. I dont like that there's no initial campaign mode, no space combat and only 4 initial planets (plus Jakku only if you pre-order)...seems like EA is hoping people are willing to spend more money on top of the initial $60 for the 2nd half of a game.
    Just my opinion. I want to play the Jakku world, but for what they're initially offering...it doesn't sound like a good deal. for $60 I should get a full game. not "buy this dlc for 90% of the content".

4. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Man Battlefront 2 was released 10 years ago. The PS3 came an went in that time. Enough waiting - if it sucks, then it sucks. Go back to the drawing board and make a better Battlefront 4 if that's the case. But get something out.

If you were asking about a Star Wars movie then sure, delay it until it's right. Or scrap it if you can't. A shooter video game can get away with a bad installment.

5. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I dont care if it sucks. I just don't want to spend upwards of $70 on a crap game.

6. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't blame you. I wouldn't.

7. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Jakku is just one map in the game. The rest of the game is all OT stuff. There's not going to be any story or plot within the game about Jakku, it's just a setting.

As far as if the game is being rushed? Hard to say. Doesn't seem like there's much to the game (4 maps, no campaign), so maybe it is being rushed.

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I can't understand why they would consider video games canon, anyway. It's like calling all the adventures I had with my action figures a part of Star Wars lore, too.

9. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Some of the older games have had way deeper stories than you're insinuating though (the KOTOR games were a franchise in and of themselves for example), and video games in general are getting better and better at story-telling. But that's a whole other debate.

The game in question, Battlefront, will not have a story. But future games will, and considering that everything is approved by the story group now, i think they should be canon. Or elements should be. It is a difficult line. Like in Battlefront 2 there's a story that was as canon as the rest of the EU (now Legends), but there were non-canon game mechanics. Like just because in-game you could pilot a droid Star fighter as a Super Battledroid, doesn't mean Super Battle Droids were ever pilots in-universe otherwise. It just would have been bad for game design to have a division between pilot players and soldier players.

10. DarkSpooler

DarkSpooler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2015
    I believe it's being rushed for the simplicity of releasing concurrent with TFA. Which I feel is a great mistake but oh well they will still be getting there cash, so they can care less if they're making s goo game or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.