main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 7 - parallels to TPM and ANH

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    *cough*Yin and Yang*cough*

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    *coughcoughcoughcoughcough*

*drops dead*

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Where can I see your Xmas special, Internets?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    To be honest, after seeing Kylo Ren´s mask I can´t stop thinking about the felling TFA is tranmiting me: remake?. I see a lot of references and parallels to the OT and ANH. New droid, new alien, new trio, but so many influences of the OT there. X-Wings, Tatooine, the quest, the lost master, the superweapon and the baddie´s mask.

I won´t deny that I like what I see, but we can´t deny how closely they are following some of the OT ideas.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    ?

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I think if a parallel to ANH and TPM is needed to be done, then in a little different way. Like if the mentor Luke has to be killed :_|, then with him returning in a more active force ghost style. Like him helping actively defeating the big ancient baddie from the other side in VIII and IX. Everything else would be a waste of his character. ;)

7. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    It's Star Trek Into Darkness/Wrath of Khan all over again!

[​IMG]

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
  8. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Thanks for that moongadget.com link, some interesting reading there. I thought I knew pretty much everything about the origins of Star Wars and what influenced Lucas, but I learned a few new things!

9. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Import_Jedi I'm not an expert in the Trek universe, what do you mean?

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Kanan looks well

11. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Based on what one of my co-workers (who's a die-hard Trekkie) told me,STID was a revamped version of Wrath of Khan...the only difference is, (Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen STID) instead of Spock 'dying' at the end of the movie, it's Kirk. (With Zach Quinto giving the "Khaaaaaaaan!" line instead) There were other things my co-worker told me about the parallelism, but that's all I remember

12. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I think it's different with the ST though, it's the step forward , instead of backward. One of the reason why the PT worked so well as a concept imo, is because we were oblivious to the fall of the Jedi, why and how Anakin became Vader, how the Empire came to be and what The Galaxy was like in those days. TFA only seems so similar to the OT because it's meant to be visually, this is the Original Era after all, where everything began.

I think thats whats dangerous about re-adapting the past rather than moving forward in an already well established universe, especially with a franchise like Star Trek which has already proven it can be successful built around a new cast of characters embarking on adventures in a present timeline. TNG, DS9, and even Voyager to some extent prove it. Thats what I think hindered Enterprise the most imo, being set so far back in Trek's history limited what they could do. Ive personally always felt Trek was about progression just as much as Exploration.

Now the same problems are happening with the reboot imo. I think Paramount will regret adapting TOS instead of just continuing the canon in the future. The early TNG films benefited from having Nimoy and Shatner in supporting capacity , the current series tries to do this , but in the end it's just the characters talking to themselves. Now the TNG timeline feels like a lost era in all of this. Having, Sterwart, Dorn and Frakes around for a new era of heroes is a missed opportunity.

Either way,I think Star Wars and Trek's situations are different, especially since JJ is a SW fan first and he gets the chance to shape its future , instead of blatantly trying to repeat it's glory days.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  13. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    My viewpoint is . . . . wait for it . . . . 8-}

Jcuk likes this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I think there was supposed to be a joke in there somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what I meant now.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I must have had a little bit of a buzz.

17. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    Should this thread the and "rhyming" thread be combined? It's basically talking about the same thing.

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Yes and together they could cure insomnia

Jcuk likes this.
  19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Why in the name of all that's holy TPM had to resonate ANH is beyond me. ANH - episode IV. TPM - episode I of the same saga. Was it actually that difficult to make TPM it's own, totally independent chapter? One that was utterly devoid of resonance with ANH?? I pray the writers haven't fallen into this 'rhyming' rubbish. And they make the ST it's own trilogy and an exception to the saga overall. The rhyming thing left a rather bitter taste.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  20. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    TPM had much less in common with ANH than this new TFA, if rumors are to be believed.

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Really? How can it be? It had to be because that is what the OT ended up being about.

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

It is it's own independent chapter but it's also part of the entire overall saga. None of them can be "totally" independent. TESB ultimately can't work without ANH or ROTJ without the previous 2 or the PT without each other or the OT without the PT and the other way around.

"Utterly devoid"?

I can tell you now you are not going to be happy with TFA.

Dude.

They are rhyming the trading cards! They are rhyming trailers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better prepare yourself to get used to that taste.

It will be it's own trilogy just like the OT and PT are but it's still going to connect. In terms of themes, visuals, story and characters and all that make Star Wars movies that are George Lucas movies and he is Star Wars. Which means that they have to make movies (at least for the episodes) that are like George Lucas be it THX 1138, American Graffiti or Star Wars.

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm. Yeah well done for completely missing the point Brid, but I can't say I'm suprised. Ok. *ahem* the whole rhyming aspect is what I was trying to get at,basically. This needless notion of linking the 2 trilogies through events that occur that mirror each other. Eg, Luke destroying the DS, and baby Anakin destroying the droid control ship. I may be alone in saying this, but I would be ****ing over the moon if nothing of the sort happens in TFA. And I don't think it will. In fact, I get the impression I'm going to be extremely satisfied with the originality 'story wise' of TFA. Total ORI-GIN-AL-ITAY. That rhymes with TFA :) I'll go with that pal ;))

23. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Jcuk , a few things I'd like to point out.

Firstly, there is no such thing as "total originality". It doesn't exist. It's a myth. If anything, TFA looks to be a significantly less "original" film than TPM simply because, from what we can tell, it is relying on so much of the OT imagery that TPM deliberately avoided. TPM was a very original film in terms of how it expanded the visual vocabulary and the mythology of the franchise.

Secondly, though it is totally valid to dislike the rhyming in he saga, that also means you dislike a significant, fundamental aspect of what George Lucas was trying to achieve for the six-part saga. The rhyming wasn't there just to be cute or convenient or to act as a writing crutch when George didn't know where he wanted to take the story. The rhyming was a crucial part of cementing Star Wars as a modern myth, a story that is meant to convey the spirit and history of humanity, even if the story itself contains few outwardly earthly elements. The contrasting journeys of Luke and Anakin are meant to be just that. In the similarities and divergences, we learn what George is saying about humanity in the story of Star Wars.

But, if you just want TFA to be "pew pew pew" and whizbang action with little to no thematic connections to the original films, then by all means, keep wishing that.

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Well. So much assumption on your part, for a film you (in fact no one) has even seen yet. So much assumption it's just going to follow the same old Star Wars formula set down by Mr Lucas. The same ****, different day scenario. Playing it safe. We'll see next December for the true conclusion for that question. As of now? the odds are in my favour. Place your bets :)

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    That escalated quickly

Darth Schlotkin and Han Burgundy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.