main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 7 Plot Detail(?) from BadAss Digest: UPDATED - "the lightsaber". Talk to the hand, hand!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by UK Sullustian, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nalkwan

nalkwan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2014
    The problem with the mystery behind the Luke missing aspect of the story is that the mystery needs to have a big pay off.
    If we get, oh i was meditating on the force for 30 years eveyone's gonna go huh?
    Now i have no doubt that if he is missing for 30 years it will be meaningful as i trust the filmakers to some degree.
    However... it has a very very big possibility of being the butt of many plot hole jokes after the film if done improperly.
    Having Luke doing nothing for 30 years would most certainly bring the audience out of the movie for a head scratching moment
    and if you watched the two trilogies in succession, or watch ROTJ before you go see ep 7 - it will be even more glaring.

for me, i don't like it only because it seems forced or contrived based on ROTJ ending... but we'll have to see how they pull it off if true

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    needs to pay off huge because your hampering 30 years of novels and film spinoffs.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    So people are still clinging to the idea that there can be no novels or spin-offs if Luke isn't exactly where the last 20 years of novels have depicted him?

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. nalkwan

Jul 23, 2014
    I don't think it's unrealistic to think people are concerned about this part of the rumor
    it's quite reasonable in my opinion

5. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    He can be in a different place that the last 20 years of novels, but if the intention is to fill the missing 30 years with stories via other media, establishing in Episode 7 that he has not been seen by ANYONE for that entire time does significantly limit the ways he can be used during stories set in that time. No interacting with Han or Leia or even people who would talk to Han and Leia is a major issue since a huge part of the draw of the novels is to read the continuing adventures of the Big Three back when they were in their prime. It rules out any sort of Clone Wars or Rebels style series with Luke, Han and Leia all interacting with each other during the years after RotJ for example.

I think it also needs to be clarified too that few, if anyone here seems to have a problem with the idea of Luke being missing for some time before the start of Episode 7. The issue is merely the length of time he has been missing.

Frankly, I see little in terms of story or drama that would be accomplished by having Luke missing for the entire 30 years since we saw him in RotJ that couldn't be accomplished just as well by having go missing only 10 years ago and leaving the 20 years prior to that open to all sorts of adventures with Han, Leia, Chewie and the Droids. Why close the door on potential stories down the line if you don't absolutely have to?

In other words, if they want to have Luke missing for 30 years, the reason better be absolutely EPIC in scope because otherwise you're just closing off future storytelling opportunities for absolutely no reason.

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    You're limiting the stories that can be told based off your own lack of knowledge as to how it all shakes down in the film.

7. nalkwan

Jul 23, 2014
    Again I think that's reasonable. If i'm told something I'm excited about is coming, and I get excited about it, then i'm told it wasn't what i was expecting, it's perfectly natural to feel disappointed, and hoped they were wrong. I don't see the issue with this. it's up to the individual to either accept this new information and adopt to it, or to reject it.

Not everyone has to accept it and get on board. And I don't see the issue with people expressing their dislike, concern, or disappointment and even their desires to see something different from what they're hearing. I mean it's not even official yet so to accept this as fact, seems a bit foolish as well.

And as far as EU stories, people are more than free to express that where this info is leading them isn't stories that they'd want to read.

8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't want to point a finger at anyone on here, but this is getting out of hand!

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thirty years being missing doesn't mean he wasn't off doing things incognito. Besides, it sounds like he might have been searching and training new Jedi in all those years. I don't see it as a problem unless he was off on Tatooine smoking spice and getting fat all that time.

Satipo and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    You have to hand it to them though.

12. nalkwan

Jul 23, 2014

I agree as long as he's doing something.
    Some of the interpretations make it sound like a soap opera though
    Luke Skywalker is missing, he hit his head and has amnesia for 30 years, we must find him and bring him back!

13. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I'd rather have him like Yoda - quietly meditiating, training under the ghosts of past Jedi and maybe watching over an unsuspecting Force-sensitive individual from afar.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

ROFL! LMAO! That's awesome!!!!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    They do not exist as of now....it doesn't mean we won't see some version of the "grey jedi" in this film. I only used the term grey for the lack of a better descriptive term.

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Considering that as of right now, "Grey Jedi" are not officially a thing, the best term to describe them is with the term "Jedi". Nowhere in the movies does it differentiate Qui-Gon or Mace Windu from being different from other Jedi. Mace was a council member. They wouldn't allow anyone on the council who did not 100% a company man for the Jedi.

Dak Oolron and ChildOfWinds like this.
  17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

whats the point if he is alone somewhere. people want Han, Leia and Luke together

Dak Oolron likes this.
  18. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    It seems some are going to choose to like the plot or not based on what kind of spin off comic books can be based on it. Which is, forgive me, insane. [Removed].

Mod edit: Too much.

Yanksfan, D'an and Jcuk like this.
  19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    All I'm saying is, let's keep an open mind until we get to see whatever option they choose with the execution they decide upon. Some rumours may be close, others may be miles off. Also, the only buzz that is coming from people who have seen stuff is very positive. Script is supposed to be great. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Yanksfan, TK327 and Darth Malgus like this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Surely keeping an 'open mind' would include the notion/possibilities of things being both 'positive' and 'negative'. Otherwise it's not being open minded, but just being optimistic... which is something completely different. ;)

21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think I'm pretty open to the fact things might suck. I happen to be optimistic they won't.

22. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    They could not possibly do enough bad to this movie for me not to like it.

Satipo likes this.
  23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    What? Now THATS insane

24. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    QFT. I am among them. 8-}

25. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I am talking about with the people involved in the making of this film, I truly do not believe that they will or even could do enough bad to make me not like this movie. Now, if they had cast the "Jackass" crew and brought in Quentin Tarrantino to direct, I wouldn't even watch it.

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.