main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode 7 Special effects: What do you expect/hope for?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I am watching it now I watched I to VI its just midnight here now....hello tuesday.....work in 6hrs

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    You in NZ Saurion?

3. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Y
    Yep...and you?

4. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    The mainland....LOL Sydney. I was in NZ last week.

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    More sets and less green screen. Less CGI characters and more makeup FX. Old school.

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Woo! Fellow Aussies.....i think!

7. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Woo! Fellow Aussies.....i think![/quote] I might be moving over like every other Kiwi

8. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Yep us Aussies are a bit SW crazy.

9. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Could be Filmed in Aus or NZ our Film industries are booming

10. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Kiwi Aussie, it matters not. Glad to meet ya!

11. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    well, they did film the prequels out here, so its not that much of a stretch,

12. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Same here guys...nice to meet both of ya

13. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    No chance of it happening in Australia this time round, our dollar is worth US$1.05, although NZ might be in with a shout?

14. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Our PM just flew over to meet with studio heads last month. the tax breaks here are crazy for film.
    james cameron has moved here to live

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The best example imo is Prometheus. The movie looks amazing, and if you've seen "the making of" documentary, you know they used a LOT of practical effects and less CG than most sci-fi movies today. If they go this way with ep7, I am sure it will be incredible.

16. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Less CGI for sure. Some real sets please.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. It looked so perfectly futuristic. I hope they mix it up like that in Episode 7, and do that good of a job.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing but the best.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Nothing that takes away or overshadows the storyline

20. ThetaSigma

ThetaSigma Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2012
    More practical elements for sure. Big sets and less blue/green screen, as everyone has already said. The screen should be a tool, not a set replacement. It would also be nice if they used light up props for the lightsabers, so that they actually cast light, rather than adding light-casting later, as they did for RotS. This would also work best on a complete set.

21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    They didn't do that for the OT. They reflected light but not emit it.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    CGI can be brilliant, but sometimes ILM's stuff can look a bit cheap. They really need to work on that.

Take some pages out of WETA's book, Gollum looked amazing and made Yoda look like crap. Puppet Yoda looked far more real.

23. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the only thing I'd like to see a bit more of is real world settings for things like outdoor battles (like Hoth, Endor, etc.). Other than that, I don't think people realize how many models and practical effects were used in the prequels. Check out the Star Wars Chronicles: Prequel Book and see for yourself how much was not computer generated. I think the prequel that came closest to this looking back was The Phantom Menace by doing things like using the palace in Italy as a stand-in for the Queens palace on Naboo, and of course going back to Tunisia. And aside from a few glaring examples, I was never really bothered by the green scene sets in the prequels. You have to remember that whether it was a matte painting back in the day or a digital one now, a lot of work goes into creating those backgrounds and mostly just the foreground elements were built. The way some people talk you'd think that they actually went to a gas giant planet back in 1979 to film the Cloud City scenes.

The key word here is balance. There are times when digital effects combine with practical ones that create a truly magical look. To this day, I think Jurassic Park was the one to do it the best. Think of how they combined an animatronic T-Rex for closeup shots with the CG version for things like when it was running. It was executed near flawlessly and really kept the effect believable.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The difficulty is acting when there is nothing there, that is a big problem with the PT.

With a show like Dr Who you had enemies such as Daleks who were really on set and spoke in the actual voices and moved around, much easier to act with something like that interacting with you. Trying to react to a tennis ball on a stick is much harder. Difficult to be afraid of a creature if the creature is invisible and you don't know what it looks like.

At least in JP Sam Neill actually had a T-Rex breathing in his face and the kids could see it peering into the car.

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Puppet Yoda couldn't fight. Besides, everyone wanted the puppet in TPM to be replaced by the digital Yoda.