main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 7 Timeline and EU

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Odolwa, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I'm new here and im sure its been discussed, But i have read a lot that the EU will be killed with the new movies coming out, Which i hope is not true.

From the time of 45 years after A new hope to 104 years after a new hope, the EU has not touched, Which is where i am hoping they place the movies, This would go along with Mark hamills, Fords and fishers age, Seeing as how they are old and wrinkled and out of shape, i cant see them playing younger versions of themselves haha.

I'v also read that they want to do a story that people don't need to read up on or anything to follow (The EU). But in the original star wars movies, they discussed the clone wars, anakin, sith and the fall of the republic and jedi, which no one knew anything about until the prequel movies came out, So how exactly would it hurt those who haven't read the EU books?

I dont know what they are planing now that disney owns it, But it seemed like they were going with the story of "The Ones" and ableloth, Which i think will end with luke finding Mortis and taking the place as the one who brings balance. In the 1983 interview with mark hamill he said he would be back for the sequels and said about luke: "It's either going to be on another plane of existence or not the same character." Seems to fit into the mortis story IMO. But again now that disney owns it who knows.

Just curious on everyones opinion on the matter of EU and movie timelines/story

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    The EU thread is U----wait....I dont know where it is anymore. Down there I think. Ya might need to search a bit
    [​IMG]

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No! Let that thing sink!

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    inb4 the..
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    ...hamster!

The Hellhammer likes this.
  6. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Exclusive! Live Cam feed from the EU Thread, trying to reach A Conclusion!

[​IMG]

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Abrams has already said that he is, in essence, completely throwing the EU out the window. And fact is that that is really the only way to go for a wide variety of reasons. Can anyone image how lame it would be if the opening crawl said: "Oh, by the way, Chewbacca was killed by the Vong so you won't be seeing him anytime in the next couple hours..."

The EU is simply not compatible with the continuation of these movies. It isn't even compatible with the prequels, despite what some believe. The producers literally have no option but to completely do away with the EU, or simply take the EU and translate it to the screen. They cannot take the events of the EU and say "hey all this happened in the past 30 years" because there's just too much there. And since 90% of the EU is crap, they certainly aren't going to waste their time (or ours) by simply adapting the EU for the screen.

8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    to be fair ive tried to ask a similar thing but from the viewpoint of someone who has always taken an interest in the timeline but never read an EU book. Is anything on that timeline apart from the movies canon??? So from 10,00000000000 years bby to post movies is none of that sanctioned story at all? I agree with the OP that its very strange that part of the timeline where a lot us think the ST will take place (Big 3 are right age)

9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, someone ought to discuss this whole "Is EU canon?" thing.
    Funny no one ever mentioned it on these boards.

10. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    od

11. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    purplerain likes this.
  12. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013

Ok then the story will just be "Chewie is alive, luke and leia are fat, old and shrunken and nothing at all has happened inbetween the last moves, ingore the hundreds of books that people have read and invested in"

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    More or less.

BigAl6ft6 and Dra--- like this.
  14. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    if you have never read an EU book but have kept up to date with the timeline its not possible to know what was EU and what was Canon. Am i right in thinking that everything on there apart from the movies is EU and nothing to do with GL story?

15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Buy the way here what bob Iger said about the Star Wars Universe of thousands of charcters, 20,000 years of stories.

Timothy Zahn and others who help wrote the Expanded universe are trying to make some of there novels coexists with the orignal stories for Star wars Sequel trilogy

TImothy Zahn has talked about an X-wing tv series based on the books after Return of the jedi! If it does happen it would more likely be animated.

Hell lucasfilms even told Zahn to write again despite the changes of an expanded universe reboot.

16. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    is it just coincidence that the big 3 characters are the right age to be set about 45aby??

17. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Thats what im trying to say, they can make the movies in a untouched part of the EU and not have to do away with it, the actors are all too old to play anything younger, in which they would interfere with the EU

18. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Well all the Old Republic stuff can pretty much be anything they want..... the character origins we all learned about in the mid to late 90's had to be retconned for the prequels (I'm looking at you, Jaster Mareel)..... as well as other things such as Timothy Zahn's books which were set after E6, but gave some pre-E4 backstory, so that was retconned or eliminated as well....

The vast majority of the post-E6 EU is going, going, gone.
    Setting your little tantrum aside, yeah that's pretty much right. Well it's silly to say "nothing at all has happened." I fully expect there to be some children involved, as well as 30 years of political developments.... but if you're waiting for Darth Caedus or Ben Skywalker, then prepare yourself for some serious disappointment.

Pfluegermeister and purplerain like this.
  19. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Not saying they should turn the books into movies, but they shouldn't ignore em though.

20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
  21. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i always knew that Lucas did not want anything to do with them but why make such a fuss of instructing the writers not to kill of the big 3 if it was all for absolute nothing?

22. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013

YES

23. SkywalkerSquadron

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm kind of hoping the new movies won't cotrandict the EU—I love those books—but I'm pretty sure it will. Most of the people going to see Episode VII will not have read the EU, and they would be displeased (to say the least) if it relied upon tons of books they haven't read, while the other films did not.

24. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    So in a new hope, when obiwan was talking about the clone wars and jedi and anakin people said" I cant follow this movie, its aweful!"

25. SkywalkerSquadron

Feb 2, 2013
    What?! A New Hope was the first film in the series. There was no EU before that. There was nothing to 'follow' before they saw the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.