main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Next Location to be Ireland, Donegal/Malin Head

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Grilled Hutt, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Over here click this link

So is this just part of the same world as Croatia and Skellig? or will this be a new world?

It looks like it could be another spot on the same world that skellig is?

(should the threads dubrovik, skellig, and donegal be consolidated into "Episode 8 Filming Locations" ?) It might seem easier...no?

EDIT:
    LOL i googled Ceann Sibeal and was returned with Dingle Golf Club.... All these locations seem very siimiliar in tone...i cant help but think its the same planet in Episode 8?

Force22 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  2. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    There's also a third location in Ireland, Ceann Sibéal, where they seem to be filming for two weeks in May (if the rumours are accurate).

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  4. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Donegal eh? Don't know much about the place but that is where part of my family comes from on my mother's side. Nice :)

5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If it's windy, grey, grassy and with a few craggy islands close to the shore then it's probably Ahch-to.

6. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Yes, apparently both Donegal and Ceann Sibeal, are both being used as alternative Locations for Skellig Micheal. I am thinking that they are going to make Luke's Island a little bigger in Episode VIII, than what Skellig Michael actually is. We only see the Island in TFA from limited angles. The fact that they are using two other Locations, in addition to Skellig, makes it likely that they are doing this. Besides; if the first Jedi Temple is there, then it would probably need to be a larger than Skellig Michael actually is. [face_thinking]

Rimfaxe96 likes this.
  7. Diddy Minty

Diddy Minty Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2016
    Gah, I have a friend who lives in Donegal, she isn't a Star Wars fan, though. :(

8. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    All these filming locations are really close to water. We virtually saw none in the OT (tatooine, DS, yavin, chunks of alderaan,endor)-its quiet a change...then again...in our own world we have built huge cities near water...i suppose that should be the norm.

So multiple planets adhering to the optimal locations to live or are these locations a larger part of ach to? I feel like it is. I mean if Luke isnt crazy, i would have gone crazy just being on that little island....its no better than being a lighthouse keeper at tillamook head in a cold story pacific northwest winter storm. I think a larger land mass nearby might have helped...i certainly dont think he is stranded with no ship on there. Its maddening not knowing exacly what luke was doing on ach to.

Edit:
    That panning flying around island closing shot kinda make it look really small...i might be leaning to different world or larger land mass near luke..like maybe an hour flight across the pond sort of thing.

Darth Imbecillis
    " the Ceann Sibéal location is supposed to have a village which two walking characters are approaching at a distance."
    Ah yes...the saga has many of those scenes....the two walking characters..as if they dont have the ability of floating shoes or something.:p

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  9. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

You know, I don't think they're staying on the island. I think they must go to the mainland or at least some other, bigger island on Ahch-To because the Ceann Sibéal location is supposed to have a village which two walking characters are approaching at a distance.

I wonder what sort of villagers live there, though :p

nightangel, 11-4D and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  10. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Good point. Hopefully, Luke has other Padawans living in this village. ;) :p

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Good news. The more Ahch-to, the better.

Darkspellmaster and Dra--- like this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    The village is tiny, less than the size of three tennis courts. I wouldn't be surprised if it was abandoned.

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Don't think the village will feature much. Probably going to film here:

[​IMG]

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    These sites are very cool. It looks like Luke and Rey might do a little traveling on Ahch-To instead of staying in pretty much the same location like Luke and Yoda on Bespin. That'll be interesting.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Possibly. Though these four different possible filming locations in Western Ireland all have very similar terrain to Skellig, so in-universe, it may all be the same island. I'm going to guess that's the case, actually.

nightangel and Dewback like this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    These locations all share a similar type of landscape, but I wonder how many are being considered simply for fly-overs / plate shots.

jedistarfire likes this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Don't know. But we already have some leaked materials for Cean Sibeal describing specific scenes involving characters walking and talking:
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/star-wars-episode-viii-ceann-sibeal-and-dubrovnik-filming-updates/

So at the very least, that one location is not for just flyovers.

Something tells me we're going to see a whole heck of a lot of substantive filming in Western Ireland.

The big news will be if Adam Driver turns up for filming there...

18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

that link you posted is for the Croatian shoot ...

19. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    No. It's a story covering both the Cean Sibeal and Dubrovnik shoots. And the document in question is for Cean Sibeal.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

oh my bad, thanks for the heads up my friend!:)

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  21. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    These different locations, if all filmed on the coast could just be for different sides of Luke's Island. The fact that the village is very small so could fit on an unseen (in TFA) part of the island lends itself to this theory. Wherever Luke and Rey are the sea will always be in the background so it makes sense to have different views out to sea for the different locations on the island.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I agree that Luke's island is likely going to be the only Ahch-to location we visit. Unless part of the training is for Rey to row a primitive boat to another island, I don't see them traveling to other places on the planet that...look exactly the same.

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sounds like Rian said "I'm not filming in a desert or the Arctic. Are you crazy? Give me places that are comfortable and have beer."

24. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    JabbatheHumanBeing "I agree that Luke's island is likely going to be the only Ahch-to location we visit. Unless part of the training is for Rey to row a primitive boat to another island, I don't see them traveling to other places on the planet that...look exactly the same. "

Of course the only key part that's missing so far is the Temple itself. Will it be a ruin or possibly in a cave?

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I have a feeling it will be akin to the early Christian places of worship. Small hut with catacombs underneath.