main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, but on the other hand a doctor can still be a student. I already met some of these examples

2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yes, and like pretty much every other profession, a Jedi still has things to study and learn and discover. There is still a difference between Knight and Master. ;)
    Even Jedi Master Yoda had to be a student to the Force Priestesses just to learn how to Force ghosting.

nightangel and Darth Smurf like this.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep an in actual SW comic, Yoda becomes a student to these stonepower people. ;)

4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  5. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Okay, I think you're missing my point. Let me rephrase it: there is no standardized test or series of tests that a padawan must pass to earn the title of "Jedi." In other words, we won't know that Rey is a Jedi until Luke says "Okay, you're a Jedi now."

To practice medicine, there are standardized requirements to receive the license (determined by whichever state of the US the prospective doctor plans to work). Additionally, prior to being accepted into a medical school, one has to fulfill requirements with regard to completing courses and receiving minimum scores on certain tests (such as the MCAT)--it depends on the particular school to which one applies, but none of this is arbitrary--there are school-specific standards just like there are state-specific standards. Likewise, a school will grant a medical degree based on their own criteria.

In the PT, we saw that the Jedi Council acts as a "jury" of sorts that, based on a mutual (unanimous?) determination after deliberation, will grand the title of "Jedi." One could argue this is not any more arbitrary than the promotion of a medical student to doctor, and it's possible I could be convinced.

But without a council, as was the scenario in the original trilogy with Luke, we have no idea when exactly Luke became a Jedi.

When he chooses to cut his training short and go help Han/Leia/Chewie/Droids/etc., Yoda says that his training is incomplete--he's not a "Jedi" yet.

But when he visits Yoda in Return of the Jedi, Luke says he's returned so he can complete his training. Yoda however says he's completed his training and is now officially a Jedi.

And many will contend that Luke doesn't become a Jedi until he faces Vader. And Vader even says something to the effect of "okay, so I guess you're a Jedi now" even though he hasn't "completed" his Vader confrontation yet.

So essentially it's a mess and we don't know when exactly or why exactly Luke went from student to graduate.

yassir.khan likes this.
  6. DemonKingBalor32

DemonKingBalor32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2017

see here is the thing though if you think back to the pt and how anakin is the one to destroy the sith and since he turned wouldnt that like make it lukes journey to do what his father failed to do? with the sith destroyed i would assume none exist in this new universe so does the title last jedi hint at maybe jedi will no longer be a title? i mean shoot we have no sith but were replaced with the knights of ren so can something similar happen for jedi?

7. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Wildcatbarry likes this.
  8. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    The title in Esperanto has been confirmed as "La Lasta Jedi," but adjectives do not denote singularity/plurality/whatever in this language.

9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I'm hoping for Poe.

But at the least Snoke believes that Luke is the LAST Jedi. However, Luke is smarter than that and has either brought his padawans to Ahch-To to protect them or has hidden them throughout the Galaxy.

10. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Kanan and Ezra reappear. Anyone see Freddie Prinze Junior on set? ;)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

11. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Han will come back as a Force Ghost, so he's become a Jedi.

Chewie will also be shown as a Jedi.

Leia will be a Jedi.

And you'll be a Jedi and you'll be a Jedi and everyone will be a Jedi (cheers erupt in the audience) :D

Just kiddin'

But more seriously so now that it's plural and it's called The Last Jedi (plural), does it mean that ll the Jedi will now die, and not just Luke?

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    And you will not be a Jedi. The only one who will not be a Jedi. What a shame.
    :D

nightangel likes this.
  13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    nope [face_not_talking]

B99 likes this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Luke probably won't die!!

nightangel likes this.
  15. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Why do some people think the title means anyone will die? Luke is currently the last Jedi. Once Rey is trained they will both be the last Jedi until one or both of them train more. It does not mean they will be the last Jedi forever and there will never be anymore.

Dra--- and nightangel like this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Right. I mean, some people call me The Last *******, and I'm not going anywhere.

Edit: Please don't try to circumvent the filter.

17. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    maybe because chances are very high that Luke dies in VIII with Rian as director (Looper) + Edwards and his terrible ending in R1? :(

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Chances are NOT very high. They are 50/50. Knock it off, nightangel. Not every thread is here for you to panic over Luke's possible fate.

19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    What about creating a thread called "Panic Room?"

nightangel likes this.
  20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I agree and it would be nice to have such a thread in which we can express concerns. :(

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Agreed on that.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't even try it. All you do is "express concerns" in every thread, every day. Don't act like your freedoms are being infringed upon, because we don't want you filling every post with needless panic. Calm down until there's actually something to worry about.

24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Redundant. "Panic room" describes most threads here, no matter the actual titles.

yassir.khan and PymParticles like this.
  25. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Luke will die sometime in the animated Jedi Academy series that will air a year after the completion of the ST. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.