main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 9 to have scenes FILMED in outer space

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    You know, if it was background plates of stars and/or galaxies, I'd actually be against it. Why? Because it would place the events of Star Wars in our galaxy (and in a close position to Earth). We'd be seeing the visible universe as seen from our position in the universe. Yeah, I know it's a nitpick. :p

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I like the Idea of this for sure but will it look Like Star Wars?

3. t-trooperyc94

t-trooperyc94 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    The budget would have to be bigger than any movie ever to pull if off.

4. Andrew Macdonald

Andrew Macdonald Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2016
    Colin Trevorrow, known for being the director of Jurassic World and the future director of Star Wars Episode 9, has stated that he wants to shoot parts of Star Wars Episode 9 in space. I'm not talking about the CGI space you see in the movies itself, but actual SPACE, above you. This could revolutionalize the movie industry and maybe make the movie more memorable than any of its predecessors. Of course, this is very crazy idea, but some of the craziest people have done or created some of the best things we have ever seen. What do you guys think about this? What do you think of this and what he would make out of these space scenes? A zero gravity lightsaber duel? A zero gravity space battle? Both? Let me know below!

Link to arcticle describing this: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-in-space-hints-colin-trevorrow-a6848176.html

5. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    They could afford it at this point though.

I say go for it. It'd make for some spectacular sequences done right.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

7. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Planet X would cause lenses flares.

Sarge likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    why is this thread still around? there's no way they're doing this. it would look terrible.

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Star Wars space is not Space. If NASA was keen to do this kind of publicity, I expect they'd do it in an Interstellar or The Martian kind of movie. Or a James Bond. Something where the International Space Station can be shown off.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Would be a very simple CGI job to add in, subtract and re-arrange stars.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Not so much the position of the stars. More, a storyline where Space is a silent, frictionless vacuum.

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Ah, I see. Frankly, they can do whatever they want to a scene shot in space. Augment it, hack it up, add sounds and explosions to it, whatever. But if they're going that route, they may as well use fake space rather than spending the money to actually go there.

However, if there's even a remote possibility of having props and/or stunt people perform in a weightless environment in actual space, and capture that on film (including the unique lighting you get up there), I'm all for it. Especially if it was some sort of weightless lightsaber duel.

That said, it's pretty easy to make fake space look like real space on film (and Cuaron did that brilliantly with Gravity). So I'm not sure this is a good use of resources. Plus, NASA, the other space agencies and ISS likely wouldn't allow it, and Elon Musk is not yet in a position to send directors and actors into orbit!

13. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    In all seriousness, would you even be able to tell the difference between real and CGI space?

Sarge likes this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Good question. Space is probably the easiest thing to fake, actually. That money would be better spent on expensive filming location on Earth.

Grand_Moff_Jawa and Rhyoth like this.
  15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    [​IMG]

(and oldie) but may i suggest Mimas as a location?

Xinau and Sarge like this.
  16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    A shot of Mars could easily be used for Moraband.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    ANOTHER DEATH STAR!!!! ... however a fossilized one. Maybe Laura Dern is working there searching for Dinosaurs

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Nah. Labor laws are too strict on Mimas.

DarthIshyZ and Darth Smurf like this.
  19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I always wondered what a Petrified Death Star would look like.

20. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    That's not a space station. It's a moon. :p

21. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    So in the promotional behind-the-scenes video for Ep9, maybe we'll get hear, "We're shooting in outer-space... REAL outer-space."

GunganSlayer, Darth_Voider and Sarge like this.
  22. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    This beyond anything is why it won't happen. Stargazers in general (not just Neil DeGrasse Tyson) have the night sky memorized. Lots of folks would nitpick. I don't think Disney would want to have a major motion picture set up to be overshadowed by that kind of criticism.

23. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It will cost so something like $500,000,000 to shoot 1 short scene in space.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I don't think it will happen (too expensive for limited value), but it would be extraordinarily easy to shift around, add and/or subtract stars in post production...

But that does beg the question: Why bother? The only answer I could give is that it would be a first. And perhaps be a shot in the arm for space programs. Which I would certainly support.

25. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Apart from Pinewood, Guatemala, Italy, Brazil, and the US, the end credits for Moonraker also state the film was shot in "Outer Space!"

;)

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.