main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Episode II and the Expanded Universe *

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Padme Bra, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    SWT doesn't mean it didn't happen either, Merk.

It just hasn't been shown to happen yet in the canon. If they are shown, it could happen exactly like the SWT stories, or they may not - we just don't know until it's shown in a non-Infinities story.

As an example, Dan Wallace said he's used "The One Below" (that Tales Yaddle story) to do the canon timeline). Therefore, that is one Tales story which happens exactly in canon as it does in Infinities. Until the Infinities story is discounted, there's no way to know it didn't happen, as someone could always refer to it in the canon.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "See "Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire," and especially "Vader's Quest." Especially "Vader's Quest." Eeeck."

Hmm, I was a big fan of both of those titles...

3. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I never read either of them, primarily because they just didn?t catch my fancy.

As for Prequel Expanded Universe once Episode III is done, I?d really like to see some much more diverse and character varied material aside from the obvious series about Darth Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi.
    For example, a series based upon the actions and history of the rise of the Empire and fall of the Republic would be a good chance to show the ?dissolving of the Old Republic? as well as the risen conflict Palpatine encounters with the peaceful Camassi and Rebellious Alderaans. Perhaps even this would be a prime chance to give the Expanded Universe fans what they?ve always wanted; save for it being in a different form, a story about Thrawn?s rise in Vader?s Imperial Court and Tarkin?s courting of the Death Star.
    Likewise, it would be a great opportunity to illustrate some of the less focused issues of Palpatine?s rise to power and the submission of the Galaxy to the Empire, like the founded principle of racism towards alien life-form and public reaction to the destruction of the Jedi Knights.

Of course, another series that has always tempted me would be a series of adventures dealing with R2-D2 and C-3P0 in the early days of the Rebellion, their meeting with Bail Antilies and placement in Leia?s home as her faithful droids.

And yet, I still have my hopes of seeing a series about Padme starting up the Rebellion to counter the Empire she helped create?

4. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    FANTASTIC THREAD --
    -- and it's great seeing some die hard canonists in here posting honest thoughts!!!!!!!

some of my thoughts:
    young tarkin - thumbs up
    young thrawn - (as tarkin's aide?) thumbs up
    mara jade - no...but maybe aurra sing as an emperor's hand!?!?!
    aurra sing - obvious thumbs up
    han solo or lando - thumbs down
    boba fett - thumbs up (to take out mace...by disintegration, of course)
    joruus c'baoth - i don't know, maybe send him to look after the clone vats for the republic?
    quinlan vos - maybe pull in some jedi sleepers to help in EPIII? (arguably he DOES appear in EPI !!!!!)

come on, EPIII is the end of the line - cameos galore ARE in order!!!!!!!!!

and even IF the sith evolved from dark/fallen jedi, palpy's master need not be THE fallen jedi -- he is the most recent sith master. my guess is he comes from a millenia long line of sith and is finally taking the offensive.

oh, and btw, the only official palpatine/yoda face to face is in the SW: Infinities comic book. an enjoyable read - but kinda disappointing in the end.

this thread is awesome.............

5. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    We're losing her!

:eek:

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That's 'cuz there aren't any vape-brawls going on here to keep this on the front page. :D

7. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Why does the thread need to be continually used to stay afloat? It's hard to think of an Episode II/EU subject to talk about everyday.

Things were plentiful in the days of mass spoilers, when we had new things to speculate on ( clones, Boba Fett's age, Jedi and love )

With no new dialogue in quite some time, EU-related speculation dries up along with movie-speculation, because we have no new information to work with.

As for myself, I sometimes burn out on the JC and occasionally disappear upwards of a week. I'd be bummed if I returned and this thread was gone just because it's not being used in mass amounts.

In posting this, I will add one thing that's been debated on plenty, but could use some movie-canonist POVs, and that is the Jedi/love thing, and how we've seen examples so far in the EU. Ones that come to mind are Ki-Adi-Mundi ( multiple wives ), Thracia Cho Leem ( multiple children or husbands? ) and Nejaa Halcyon and other Corellian Jedi of the PT era, who did not flow with the same rules as the "regular" Jedi Knights. ( Jedi 4000 years earlier don't really count - the TOS databank mentions how the Order changed since then, in small ways, such as multiple apprentices per Master. )

Also, maybe if anyone has read the recent Jedi Apprentice books, they can provide some thoughts on Qui-Gon's relationship with Tahl, which deals with forbidden feelings and the rage over the loss of a loved one.

8. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I don't know what to tell you about the Jedi love thing. There's a thread on it here. It all depends on how it's explained in the film, whether it's an absolute rule or only applies to some.

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    It does seem to sound like an absolute rule, although we saw some rules being bent by Anakin, such as the age he started his training. ( EU sources also mention that Eeth Koth began training at age 6. )

If you think about it, maybe some Jedi could be married but not have their family/love life interfere, or maybe they don't have to be in love at all. It could be that way with the cultures and customs of Ki-Adi-Mundi or Thracia, for example.

Maybe it's just the human-based Jedi that have to adhere to this part of the Code, because they're quick to anger and are easily affected by emotional ties to people.

I wonder if when Obi-Wan says, "Do not go against the Council, Master, not again", he's talking about Qui-Gon's relationship with Tahl. I don't recall any source saying what else Obi-Wan could have meant. ( For the record, I also thought that maybe this could be left open for something Lucas could shed light on, later, such as Qui-Gon's dealings with Dooku. )

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Hmmm...I hadn't thought about that Tahl relationship in that light before....

11. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Just a passing thought I sometimes think of...

My memory is a little hazy on this, but does anyone remember the spy report that had some Mace dialogue from when Obi-Wan leaves Coruscant in the Jedi Fighter?

He called Anakin the Chosen One, rather than by name.

In Rogue Planet, at one point Mace asks (paraphrasing here), "Is the Chosen One in his quarters"? to Obi-Wan.

Isn't it a bit uncanny that both Lucas/Hales and Greg Bear both wrote Mace's dialogue that way? That's almost as good a coincidence as Exar Kun's double-bladed lightsaber...

12. Genghis_the_Dead_12

Genghis_the_Dead_12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    Who said it's a coincidence, Sturm. ;) :)

13. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I can just see Lucas, up late one night reading Rogue Planet, and exclaiming, "Wow! I'm going to write Mace Windu's dialogue this way..." :D

14. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    It's interesting how three threads have been started on it and no one has even mentioned the whole "Aayla Secura in Episode 2" thing in here. What's the deal?

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Because I just now saw the article, then I jumped to the thread in PSA about it where a flame war is likely to break out, and since if Ayla Secura is used as a movie character, then she's no longer EU. :D

Anyways, here's what he's talking about:
    starwars.com Episode II News Article

Seeing Blue: Aayla Secura
    December 20, 2001

Jon Foster's striking cover art for issue # 33 of the ongoing Star Wars title from Dark Horse Comics made a definite impression on writer/director George Lucas. A blue-skinned Twi'lek Jedi, based on Aayla Secura, has now found her way into Episode II effects shooting.
    Aayla, a tragic Padawan stripped of her memory yet slowly being rehabilitated by the Jedi Council, first appeared in the "Twilight" story arc of the ongoing series, by John Ostrander and Jan Duursema.

"We got the call from production to supply reference art of Aayla," said Chris Cerasi, LucasBooks editor. "It's exciting to see a character from the comics be the inspiration of a flesh and blood movie character, now matter how small a part."

The Aayla Secura artwork was sent to the wardrobe and makeup departments to assemble a blue-skinned beauty out of a physically fit female extra. The character will have no dialogue and will be involved in a combat sequence. Since the film is still being edited, it's impossible to know what -- if any -- her end screen-time will be.

Discuss.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Just thought I'd add some interesting passages from the Essential Chronology, Farlander Papers and Marvel # 68 that I posted in the Lit "Clone Wars and the EU" thread.

"The Clone Wars were a dark time for the galaxy. The thousand-thousand worlds of the Old Republic were swept up in a furious conflagration that rendered entire planets uninhabitable. Many historical archives were destroyed, while other archives covering this period were wiped clean in the years following the Emperor's ascension. Not even the library planet of Obroa-skai can provide accurate details on the Clone Wars, the extermination of the Jedi, or the crowning of the Emperor, though it is hoped that new information on this era will soon come to light. We would be remiss as historians if we did not qualify these dark decades with a caveat, bearing in mind that only independant corroboration can place these events in the proper context and sequence." ( Essential Chronology, 2000 )

The Farlander Papers ( 1993 ) A speech by Mon Mothma...

"It wasn't always this way. The galaxy knew peace following the Clone Wars. Guided by the Jedi Knights and the government of the Republic, a war-weary citizenry rebuilt lives and restored worlds. The central authority of the Republic insisted on freedom for all, and prosperity naturally followed.

But the galaxy is vast, and with a thousand-thousand worlds to govern, a handful of greedy Senators found that they could abuse their power. At first, this abuse manifested in small ways, but it grew steadily and insidiously.

Slowly, corruption infected the Republic.

More and more Senators, seduced by power and wealth, allied themselves with special interests. Many worlds suffered, and eventually the Republic began to crumble.

Into this situation came a young Senator named Palpatine. Now, he is called "Emperor", but I remember him as a very ordinary man.

Even then, he was surely devising the cruel master plan that would lead to his ascension, though at the time he did nothing that would have attracted attention. Palpatine waited, and plotted, and when the proper time came, when the Republic was most vulnerable, he carried out his plan to perfection.

The authority of the Senate had weakened at an alarming pace. Crime was on the increase across the galaxy, and many worlds threatened to secede. Other planets simply did as they wished while pretending loyalty.

A solution was needed, and that was what Palpatine offered. Through a combination of political manuevering, half-truths masquerading as promises, and sometimes out-and-out fraud, Palpatine got himself elected head of the Senatorial Council : President of the Republic.

Many of the most honest and ethical Senators backed Palpatine for President because he promised unity, and he had carefully concealed his own corruption. At the same time, the worst members of the Senate expected a weak, controllable President; a figurehead that would represent justice to the populace even as the Senators continued to serve their own self-interests.

I was senior Senator during Palpatine's rise to power, and though it was obvious to myself and a handful of others that a monster was about to be unleashed, the voices of dissent were drowned out by those who sought a quick solution to a galaxy of problems.

Still, no one could have guessed at the transformation that would take place following the election. With the power of the Presidency secured, Palpatine suddenly emerged as a dynamic and icreasingly ruthless leader, often playing Senators against one another on crucial issues, bogging the government down in bouts of petty bickering.

Little by little, Palpatine assumed complete control, as the Senate consumed itself in increasingly bitter inner rivalries.

Once the reins of power were firmly in his grasp, and he was entirely confidant of success, Palpatine declared himself Emperor. He announced a New Order, and filled the Senator's heads with grand rhetoric, promising to lead the Republic into a glorious golden age, akin

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
  19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
  20. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    <<Wow, I had forgotten those things. It's been 4 years since I've read the novelization.

Yes, that is cool. The OT novelizations were a lot better than Terry Brooks' TPM one, IMHO. >>

I found myself amazed at how much more fleshed out the whole story is in the ROTJ
    novelization. I found myself going back and rereading parts of it after reading some of the posts here. One of my favorites.

21. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    <<The novel for ANH was written in a different style, (supposedly) by Lucas himself. The only thing strange about that one was the way it described the Emperor at the beginning. Lucas hadn't developed the character yet and he made him out to be a dottering old fool who became controlled by his subordinates. We now know that's impossible. Although you could write it off as being the public's perception of what he was like. >>

Not only was that strange, but to hear Kenobi talk about a duck?? And, Luke answering,"What's a duck?" I damn near fell off my seat reading that. And, there's another part where Luke mentions something about a dog. Obviously George feels that they have some of the same kind of animals we do. :)
    And, I totally agree with you Padme about leaving the books just the way they are. I loved all three novelizations of the OT.

22. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Hey, a duck is in TPM, and will be returning for AotC. ;)

23. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    Oh yeah, I forgot about those ducks. :)

24. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
  25. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    Excellent. More chance for mischief. [face_devil]

Thread Status: