main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode II&III music speculation -- no spoilers, of course!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Cindé of Naboo, Feb 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Just a place to speculate on the direction JW might go with what he already established in TPM. What will become of Anakin's theme, as he drifts to the dark side? Already the Imperial March is hinted at; how will it emerge? As we all know, it does not appear in the OT until ESB.

And how about a love theme for Anakin and Amidala -- will it have any connection to the cues heard upon their first meeting and their little talk on the way to Coruscant?

And of course, will we get to hear more of the Emperor's theme, which was in TPM both in its original form and as Augie's Great Municipal Band? since it first appeared in ROTJ, after all....

And how about any new themes? but remember, no spoilers!

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    As it's a sure thing that the prequels will be darker in tone, there probably won't be as many light, quick, innocent themes as in Episode I, but rather darker more ominous ANH or ESB like stuff. Hopefully at least one "in-universe" song, something awesome like Duel of the Fates, but I'd rather see Williams go back to his SW roots some. I loved the music from early in TPM, on the ship, that recalled previous music, and the way he brought back Palpy's theme, but I didn't care too much for the new music.

3. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    dark brooding music.

4. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I'm looking forward to hearing whatever musical piece may be played at Anakin and Amidala's wedding. What do you guys think it'll be like?

5. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    Personally I'm looking forward to hearing the theme of Brother and Sister again if it shows up.

the wedding will probably be a private ceremony to elude the council in case amrriages are illeagle, but I think we might hear luke and liea's theme in there somewhere. It won't be a big, brassy sound like the opening. I think it will be woodwind intensive, and have the strings on the higher end of their range, but thick scoring. Like the beggining of the 1812 overture.

6. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Mr. Williams, if at all possible, could you make sure to use the ANH version of the imperial motif at the end of the movie? (spoiler hounds will know just how PERFECT this would be)

Thank you.
    Fatboy

7. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    I remember seeing an interview with JW saying that when Lucas heard DOTF, he said "That's it...that's the theme for the third one.." So expect mucho DOTF in Episode III.

8. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I think what GL said was, after hearing DOTF, "He just scored the last reel of Episode III and I haven't even written it yet." Something like that.

GL liked it so much, though, that he tore out almost all of the music JW wrote for the duel in TPM and put in DOTF instead while re-editing the sequence. So who knows, maybe he's just impatient. :)

As for Episode III, I hope he DOES use the ANH motif he developed for Vader, rather than the full blown March. It makes more sense when viewing the films as a whole to do it that way. Otherwise, musically, it would be odd to go from hearing the March in III, just the motif in ANH, then the March again in ESB.

9. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I am looking for Leia and Luke's Theme to contain Anakin and Padme's Theme hidden in there.

10. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Darth Rayder, that's great news.

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm getting sick of DotF already. It's a great song, but I've heard it so many times and it is by no means perfect! I hope theres at least some variation on it.

12. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    If they were to use DOTF again, it would be nice to add some variation. It does get tedious if there's no change at all. Having said that, it would be interesting to see what JW could do with it.

It would be absolutely spine-tingling to hear hints of Luke and Leia's theme when/if they're born in Ep III. JW could possibly link it with their parents theme; I'm interested to hear how he would do that.

I definitely agree that JW has to tie in the Empire's theme from ANH -- it would very annoying to hear a full-blown Imperial March, then have it just disappear all of the sudden and be replaced by the ANH theme, then come back just as suddenly in ESB. It needs to be a smooth transition.

13. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    Dehrian:

I never heard the actual GL quote, only JW's quote: "George said 'That's the theme of the third one.' So I can't even imagine what George has in mind..." or something like that.

14. Trippitaka

Trippitaka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2000
    The Anakin/Amidala would be an interesting theme. I guess it would follow the three established in the OT (Leia's, Han & Leia, and Luke & Leia). All three sound vaguely similiar.

I'm not sure if I'd really want to hear an OT theme playing full blast in the PT (apart from the force and main theme).
    I'm sure (and hope) Williams will come up with some great new material that will identify each film (like DOTF did for TPM).

15. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    I definitely want to hear some new material. I was very pleased with what JW did with Anakin's theme -- it obviously bears resemblence to the Imperial March, but it has a lot of new thematic aspects, and it should be very interesting to hear what new music he composes for the next two episodes.

16. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I have to agree with Mastadge. DOTF is a great theme, but I don't think it should be used in Episode III. My guess is that Lucas wants to use it for the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel, but that'll be one of the most important sequences in the saga, so I think JW should be allowed to write something unique and memorable for that.

As for what else I'd like to hear in Episodes II-III... I'd like for there to be a love theme that combines the romance of some JW's best love themes with the dark foreshadowing of Anakin's Theme. And perhaps an unique new theme for whatever major new character might appear in the new films.

17. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    How do you think Anakin and Amidala's love theme will go? Do you think it will be sort of playful like Han and Leia's, or mature and broody like Luke and Leia? Or possibly just a carefree theme with a hint of sadness to it? I think that will be one of the more interesting pieces of music in the prequel trilogy.

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Maybe the Anakin/Amidala theme will be the "Skywalker theme" from ROTJ.

I want some ESB-style music. Out of all the SW movies, that music is unique. ROTJ and ANH have similar-sounding music, although ROTJ and tpm both have some ESB-like influences. Just listen to ESB compared to any other SW movie - it sounds different.

19. Trippitaka

Trippitaka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2000
    Assuming there's a new sith apprentice in Ep2, do you think JW will come up with a new theme for them? Or will he use the same one he used for Maul (the Sith Spacecraft music)?
    I'd like to hear that theme (with it's whispering chorus) developed more. More than DOTF in fact.

20. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Yes, I really like the subtle, sinister music he used for Maul -- since Maul is gone, I wonder if he'll be able to use it some more...

21. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I think a lot of people will be disappointed if Williams doesn't have the Imperial March at full blast for Vader's appearance in Episode III.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.