Episode II is NOT going to suck

Discussion in 'Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX' started by MatthewDanger, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewDanger Jedi Padawan

Lets face is EpI sucked. I'm as big a SW freak as any of you, but that doesn't effect the fact that EpI was a quickly slapped together nightmare. Personally I dont think Jar-Jar made the movie bad (I actually kind-of liked him...kind-of), I think Jake Loyd made the movie bad, but thats beside the point...

I just saw the trailer for EpII at IceAge(very funny movie) and I nearly pissed my pants. The movie looks darker, alot darker but thats good. Guys and gals I got a good feeling about this one, I hate to sound like one of those people but I kind-of knew deep down that EpI would suck. I dont get this vibe with EpII. I'm so ready

matthew
  2. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    I completely agree with you about AOTC. It is bound to be better, darker, and more mature than TPM. It has to be. After all, by the time EPIII ends we will have witnessed the events that led to ANH... the "Fall of Anakin Skywalker". How much darker can it get than that? Just wait till EPIII!

However, I for one do not think that TPM sucked. It was by far not what it could have been (in quality), but it was exactly what it should have been (in story). George had to show us where Anakin came from, how he started down the path to becoming a Jedi. We needed to see that. TPM was destined to be an "Age of Innocence". It's just a shame that Jake Lloyd and Jar-Jar were in it. At least there were no cursed Ewoks, and no Tarzan-yellin-vine-swingin-Chewie either. But it also did not have the all mighty Emperor. So although there were no real highs in TPM, there were not any major lows either.

Now the events of the galaxy will begin to snowball downhill, leading up thru EPIII. You have to start small and slow. Baby steps. But by the time EPIII his, this thing is going to seem like Nascar race. You will end up watching all 6 movies and appreciating them all for their own value.... as just a chapter in a MUCH larger book.
  3. MatthewDanger Jedi Padawan

Yea, I guess saying EpI sucked is going too far. I acept it as a relevant chapter in the starwars saga, but I cannot deny the fact that it was disappointing.

But you are right, nothing can top the tarzan yodel chewee did in ROTJ, that was down right embarasing,

Laters
    Matthew
  4. vahsi_of_hogwarts Jedi Padawan

TPM did not suck it's not the beast sw movie but it didn't suck. Jar-Jar and jake are low points in the movie. Episode 2 will be alot better than one in story line. there just one thing that that I don't like about EP2 CGI yoda.
  5. Super_Collector Jedi Padawan

Episode I was awful... from a certain point of view.

I nearly quit collecting and gave up on Star Wars in May of 1999. Fart Jokes, Poop Jokes, ''Yippee!'', ''Wizards!''... Eech. Meesa tinkin meesa gonna spew.

But then, I started analyzing why I disliked it. Let's face it, after 16 years of waiting, hoping, dreaming, and building, it was probably not possible for George Lucas to produce *any* film that would live up to my highest expectations.

I started looking at my own psychology surrounding Episode I, hoping to find a rational answer that I could deal with, and maybe give it a second chance. I found my answer, and now I understand.

If you drew a math-line (that number line with arrows pointing in both directions), we had visited points 4, 5, and 6, and were travelling to the right. The EU novels were nearly 20 years to the right of point six, and that's where my mindset was. Then George took us back to point number 1. A place that we hadn't been, and had no knowledge of. A 'foreign' Star Wars place. A step backwards, as it was meant to be.

Episodes II and III will be better and more exciting because they will lead us from this odd place that we've been shown to the place we know. The place where most of us grew up (Episodes IV+). And then when we've seen it all, we'll understand it as a whole.

I'm excited and I can't wait! We're in for one fantasic ride getting there!
  6. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    So, you guys are seriously excited about seeing a movie where an innocent boy gets corrupted and begins his descent into darkness? :eek: What is WRONG with you people? :p

Watch the bandwagon this summer. My bet is it'll be as popular to praise AOTC as it was to bash TPM.

Personally, I have no problems with TPM, and have enjoyed watching it more times than I can count.

(takes a deep breath--mile-long run-on sentence ahead)

From Qui and Obi's landing on the TF battleship and droid encounter (old Obi-Wan as an obedient but sarcastic apprentice!), the threatening presence of Darth Sidious, clumsy Jar Jar's intro contrasted with Qui-Gon's confident mastery, through Otoh Gunga, the water monsters, rescuing the Queen, shield and hyperdrive problems (go R2!!!), meeting the innocent Anakin, naked 3PO and tragic Shmi, pimp-daddy Watto, Sebulba and the podrace, Twilek masseuse girls and Aurra Sing, jetting off again with a tender moment between Padme and Anakin, getting to finally see Coruscant, the Jedi Council (aloof in their ivory tower, unaware of what's truly taking place, this attitude being embodied by the baddest mutha Jedi of them all, Sam "Mace Windu" Jackson), and the impressive Senate sequence, new aspects to the Force (living Force? midichlorians? Will of the Force?) Senator Palpatine as an earnest, self-effacing representative (or is he?!), the Queen's change of heart in revealing her true identity and deciding to take an active part in fighting for her people's freedom, and the last battle, ground/space/palace b&e/lightsaber combat involving true Jedi and Sith at the height of their abilities (not old/maimed/barely trained Force users), Darth Maul's savage wickedness, Qui-Gon's death, Obi-Wan's near-fatal fall and oath to his dying master, and Yoda's foreboding about Anakin's training...all this, combined with the great use of color (this is after all a Republic before the Dark Times, before the life has been drained out of it...), the sense of innocence and wonder (meeting all these new aliens and characters), the downplayed dark elements (Anakin was a slave, after all...people did die in the podrace...Palpatine/Sidious actually got what he wanted, playing everyone for chumps) and knowing that it's setting us up for a greater story, the happy chapter leading us into tragedy, all this makes TPM a beautiful part of the saga, imo...

But you don't have to take *my* word for it ;)
    [image=http://www.yesterdayland.com/images/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1726.gif]

7. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Episode I rules. Episode II is going to be even better. 'Nuff said. ;)
  8. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
    yep ep1 was great

JAR JAR RULES!!!!!!!!!
  9. stone Jedi Knight

star 2
    you have to forgive kurgan, he tends to see things thru midichlorian colored glasses.
  10. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    "...but I kind-of knew deep down that EpI would suck"
    Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy to me 8-}

BTW, I loved Ep I and thought it was exactly what it should be.

Then again, deep down I wanted to like it so I guess it works both ways!

11. MatthewDanger Jedi Padawan

Its a shame that your wrong Kiki, EP I did suck.
  12. Mithrandir Jedi Knight

star 1
    Episode I blows. Episode II is going to be even better. 'Nuff said.
  13. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
  14. Mithrandir Jedi Knight

star 1
  15. DarthCynthia Jedi Master

star 2
    To each their own.. I enjoyed EP I, and I'm sure I'll enjoy EP II and III.
  16. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    No, it didn't. ET, however, did.
  17. stone Jedi Knight

star 2
    you have to forgive kurgan, he tends to see things thru midichlorian colored glasses.
  18. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    ummm, I've heard you make that statement before and I've been wondering, Master Stone, sir.... what are "midichlorian colored glasses"?

does that mean that the Force is with his glasses?? and where can I get that prescription?
  19. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    This thread is truly a spectacle to behold ;)

20. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Yes, and Brandon best beholdin' on to his spectacles.... lest some Jedi-wannabes nab them Force-filled Frames.

(ouch, that one was bad..... ;))
  21. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Don't wuss out Nabooty!
    In your personal opinion, did it suck or not... like I don't already know the answer ;)
    you walk around drunk on midichlorian ale!
  22. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    Eh? Ya missed my verbose post above, Kiki...TPM sucked only in the sense of sucking in my imagination and devotion to the saga over the last 5 or so years since the Special Editions.

Lucas has stated that he purposefully held back in certain areas on TPM, not wanting to outdo the OT until maybe battles/events we'll see in II and III. I for one am really glad he didn't spoonfeed everyone the dark, ultra-cool film most of us demanded (which AOTC looks to be), and instead gave us a work that compares and contrasts nicely with the rest of the saga, an innocent but challenging set-up to a dark struggle.

So, yeah, TPM did suck...like a black hole, it pulled in my attention and hasn't let it go. And I wouldn't have it any other way!
  23. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
  24. Yoda-the-Jedi-master Jedi Padawan

There are some things in Ep1 that really let me down such as the underwater scene where the big sea creature eats the little one then wait not but 2 minutes later we see it again big guy eating the little guy. Then of course the fart jokes and Jar Jar needed to go. I don't understand why GL thought he had to make the movie so kiddy, kids are going to love the movie with or without the stupid Gungan. I like the Gungans but Jar Jar was way to kiddy for me. And yes Jake needs some more acting classes big time. Don't get me wrong I still love Ep1 as long as I have my the FF button on my DVD player with me to bypass the kiddy crap.
  25. Rebel_Rouser Jedi Padawan

The Naboo aqua monsters were well done & had me in chills in the theater! Monsters are in every STAR WARS film, for the "WOW!" factor, and to show something you'd never see in the real world. Fantasy/myth at its best, like the Phoenix, Kraken, Medusa, etc.

If Clones builds on the promise of Menace, like Empire did on the first movie, it'll be great & have everyone wanting more.

Advance glimpses look good so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.