main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode II - Jedi HQ - Busts

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mextli, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mextli

mextli Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2010
    Does anyone know the names of the people represented by the white busts in the Jedi HQ?

Any of the names would be appreciated. I dont know where else to post this. If this is the wrong area, please let me know and I'll delete and repost. Thank you.

2. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    The one Obi-Wan is looking at is Count Dooku. That's all I know. :)

3. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    From wookiepedia:

"The appearance of the Jedi Archives in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is an almost exact digital reconstruction of the Long Room of Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. Its imitation extends to the busts of the Lost Twenty which, in Trinity Library, are busts of alumni, including writer Jonathan Swift.[1]

According to Pablo Helman on the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones DVD Commentary, the bronzium busts that are shown in the room during the scene where Obi-Wan Kenobi speaks to Jocasta Nu include busts of himself, George Lucas, Rob Coleman, and John Knoll. "

Lost twenty from wookiepedia:
    "The Lost Twenty, earlier known as The Lost, was the name given to the Jedi Masters who had voluntarily resigned their commission and left the Jedi Order, usually over ideological differences. "

So if Anakin had quit the Jedi Order when Padme was pregnant, they would have placed a bust of him in there ?? [face_hypnotized]

Ive always felt it odd that they would have busts of the Lost Twenty there. Why not Jedi heroes/scholars instead, or past head librarians ?

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought that too. It could be a reminder to do the right thing as a Jedi, but they are there because they quit, not because they got kicked out. And they don't even seem to be portrayed in a negative light, like "look at these traitors"... it's more like "you too could have a bust here... all you have to do is quit." :p

5. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Yep, its sooooo odd. Other statues in the GFFA were of do-ers, not quitters, heh.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Wasn't one of the busts an image of Count Dooku's face?

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ Yes... he was one of the Lost Twenty.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yep, it was. Jocasta and Obi-Wan were originally going to talk about him.

9. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    LOL, DRush76, you don't even read the posts in a one-page thread? ;)

I don't think it's odd. The Jedi may have some kind of dutiful respect for those that left the order. Just remember how reluctant they are to accept the theory that Dooku is behind the violence in AOTC. They seem to respect ideological differences, but the busts might as well be there to remind students and Knights of the straight and narrow path.

Or come to think of it: They're named the Lost Twenty, so it's more likely a lament.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Shame the Jedi Order didn't do oil-paintings instead...
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070417180358/starwars/images/f/ff/Baron_Papanoida.jpg]
    would've been money to see Blue Skinned Bearded One on the walls of the Temple.

And while I'm at it, those yellow face-markings look sort of Avatar-ish to me.
    Even though I haven't seen that movie.

11. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Wookiepedia agrees with you, but I dont see the logic in it.

From Wookiepedia, The Lost Twenty :

"One of the earliest members of the Lost Twenty was the Umbaran Jedi Master Phanius, who eventually became Darth Ruin, the first Dark Lord of the Sith in the New Sith Empire."

"Along with the most venerable Masters, the Lost were remembered in the form of busts in the Jedi Archives; a reminder of the Jedi's greatest failures, though the Jedi did not fault the individuals for leaving. On each bust's pedestal, the great deeds of the Master it commemorated were listed, though it gave no mention of why he or she left the Order. "

I could see the busts being in a hall shame or in the bathrooms, (in the urinal stall, heh) but not respectfully placed in a prominent place like the Jedi Archives. And then not mention why they left or what they did after they left ?? :confused: No wonder the Jedi were reluctant to accept the theory that Dooku is behind the violence in AOTC. Unless one read deeply into the history of each individual of the Lost Twenty, one could believe that they were heros. :eek:

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Never got that either...

"Let's glorify our greatest failures" :confused:

13. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    What actually are the sources that say all the busts in the Archives are of the Lost Twenty? Are they all EU sources or are there any proper ones? Because it may be that other authors simply made the assumption that all the Lost Twenty are depicted based on Dooku's bust being there.

Because what I assumed was that Dooku was in the Archives because he was a great Jedi before leaving the Order. And the other busts depicted other great Jedi. But then I read that apparently they've got a line up of all the Lost Twenty in the Archives and so I was wondering where that originated - from something G-canon or from the EU.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    G-Canon?

G's bronzed-head is already in-there, on a shelf.
    Can't get closer to G-canon than that.
    :D

15. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Wookiepedia lists quite a few Visual Dictionaries and Guides (all Lucas Books) and only 1 novel as their sources.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Twenty

16. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I think you're over-thinking it, people. They're lost. The Jedi are sorry. It's a way to remember them, and a way to remember the reasons why they became lost to the Jedi. I'm pretty sure that not all of the 20 became Darths...

How about some cred to the Jedi for not hiding troubled history? Does it have to be a problem?

17. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    well if you served the jedi for many decades and served them well but then, for whatever reason, decided to leave the order, why should you not be honoured? there is no doubt a seperate tribute or museum to all the jedi who have died over the years which these "lost twenty" would obviously not be entitled to be included in. however, it doesn't mean a seperate tribute is without warrant. or perhaps its wrong to think of it as a tribute - if any of them were expulsions, it could also be to serve warning to younger jedi. even the voluntary leavers would serve as warning. it would be a sign - "these are our codes. prepare to abide by them or prepare to leave". actually there's nothing to suggest that being included in this collection is not a shameful thing, almost akin to that of the criminal headshot in our society. i doubt any jedi would leave the order just to get their own bust in the archives of the jedi temple. jedi's do not think inwardly or solely about themselves, remember. we seem to be taking an element within a science-fiction story and viewing it in parallel with how it would be seen in our own world.

either way you look at, there's no real error or contradiction, unless of course you wish there to be and take a very narrow-minded view of the whole thing.

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    What makes the Jedi-memorial-bust somewhat odd to me is, the fact that the two we know anything about, BOTH became Sith Lords. Curious that they would be the only ones to make a mention of, no? So far, they aren't exceptions, they ARE the rule. Leave the Order, become Sith, get memorialized by the Jedi. No wonder Anakin was easily turned, he wanted his own bust.:p

19. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    [face_laugh]

20. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    No, that was only the reason for his turn in the rough draft :p

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Better than whining about Padme...
    :D

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    He was turned because he wanted Padme's bust. "I can't live without her..." :p

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm sooo tempted to retort, smarmily.

24. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    i wouldn't be at all surprised if some fans genuinely believed that

25. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I always liked the Lost 20 scene.