Nash, TN EPISODE II Midnight Showings in Jeopardy

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    I just got off the phone with Carmike's District office. The Corporate Rep for Carmike was in town last week and told my contact person that Lucasfilm told them that there would be NO Episode II Midnight showings in the U.S.. The reason being that Lucasfilm is going to try to coordinate a simultaneous world wide release. Needless to say, my mouth dropped! :eek: She was even wondering how Lucasfilm was going to pull this off, but for now that's what they've been told. All I have to say is that Lucasfilm had better get their act together soon and give us times and dates or they are going to have a very unhappy fanbase. Most places of business require a month minimum lead time on vacation requests. Next week it will be 6 weeks and counting. I'm going to end up stressed out by the time this all happens, I just know it :p

I also have to turn in a submittal to Carmike in writing regarding our line-up activites, but also on every detail of our Fund Raising efforts for the NDRF. They even want me to send her an image of the banner we are proposing to put up. It would appear that the local manager has little real authority, in regards to permitted activites on the premises. "The Beaurocrats are in charge" :p Anywho, I'm going to do this early next week, so hopefully we'll have a repsonse and approval by our next meeting and most importantly, before we spend significant amounts of time and money.

Don't panic everyone! It's going to work out. We'll just have to try to be as flexible as we can. This is exactly why you don't plan too far ahead. We'll just have to roll with it :)

2. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    I just hope this so-called "One World Release" doesn't reach around and bite our behinds. It seems the whole world wanted this, and now it is possible we all pay the price. We'll see though. If there's no midnight showing, we'll see the first one regardless.... you betta believe it! ;)
  3. IrishThunder Jedi Knight

star 3
    That kinda bites. I've luckily taken the 15th, 16th and 17th off from work, so I'll be ready whenever it finally appears.
  4. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    I never jumped on that "one world release" bandwagon.

When will we find out something for certain?
  5. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    As soon as the Lucasfilm is gracious enough to provide us with this information. I would hope it would be sometime in the next week or two. Keep checking The Official Site for updates. That's probably where we are going to find out first if TFN doesn't get a hold of the info.
  6. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    What does the world-wide release have to do with the lack of midnight showings? I don't see why that would prevent LFL from having midnight showings.
  7. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    They want to make things as difficult as they can and not only coordinate the days of the world wide showings buy the exact time as well. Its Insanely anal if you ask me. :p The not knowing part is what is bugging me. :(
  8. d8camjordan3 Jedi Master

star 4
    the question is...should we see it at noon or at a comfy 7:00 showing
  9. relsieh83 Jedi Knight

GOOD!!!! i work at a movie theater, i hate it when they do things like that. I had to do it for HP and that sucked. Oh well, i still get to see it for free on the 14th when the theater gets the film. Midnight showings suck!
  10. d8camjordan3 Jedi Master

star 4
    HA! I sent in this news and they posted it...thats like 25 things that TFN has posted from me!

-Jordan
  11. AT-AT_Commander Force Ghost

star 4
    but if they were doing that world wide one day one time thing, How come they got there tickets in denmark?
  12. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    I couldn't tell you why they have tickets in Denmark. All I know is what I've been told by Carmike Cinemas. Since Lucasfilm has neither confirmed nor denied the simultaneous release, its all hearsay until they do. I hope we find out right quick too ;) The longer they wait the less people are going to be able to legitimately take off work. Most employers require vacation requests at least a month in advance. And many part-time people have to schedule their work days a month in advance. Unfortunately its out of our hands. :( I just hope Lucasfilm does right by us. :)
  13. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Well, I just read the news on the main page of TFN and it seems like there are more and more rumours of NO midnight showings. If this turns out to be true, this is going to royally suck. If they end up showing the movie at 10AM-12PM the next day, I think someone needs to be fired. [face_laugh]
  14. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Unfortunately, we don't have a choice in the matter. According to Grand Moff Joker's source, it is at least 6 days and counting (April 10th) until we find out for certain. This part of the prologue for A New Hope just entered my mind:

"After placing himself in power, he shut himself off from the populace, so that their cries were unheard." [face_laugh]

Don't go Palpy on us GL ;) Actually, this probably has more to do with McCullum than it does George, but GL I'm sure has the final say.

Like my new icon?
    I am the Clone commander! Nobody knows clones like me. I give them an order, and the clones follow it!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] (Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back Reference) ;)
  15. RocketX Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Dont go Palpy" thats great! I'm stealing that. 'clone' commander???!!!:)
  16. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Howdy folks.

My gut reaction to the news of 'No Midnight Show' was one of suspicion from the Carmike Mgmt Heads - AND NOT from Lucasfilm. The argument of 'coordinating a world-wide release' is pure bunk - because it is not logical - unless Europe and Asia are prohibited from showing the film until late in the evening on May 16th.

As Qui Gonn- Jinn would say "Trust your instincts" - I think in this case that would be wise.

This was just confirmed on TFN:

"Odeon Cinemas' (UK) head of marketing Luke Vetere said: "Episode II: Attack Of The Clones is a hugely anticipated film, especially as the Star Wars films have such a dedicated following. "We've already received hundreds of emails from fans asking when tickets go on sale. The first midnight showing on the morning of May 16 will be an exciting event for all of us."

Expect the rest of the cinema chains in the UK to follow suit and announce their advance ticket policies in the coming days. Ananova also reports that the Odeon in Leicester Square is the venue for the UK premiere on May 14th. Thanks to Djphilla for the alert.

Update: Empire Online has confirmed that the first screening will be at 12.01am. "

The UK is 6 or 7 hours AHEAD of East Coast Time - so if Lucas was trying to coordinate a simultaneous release - we would have our showing at 5 or 6PM on the 15th.

No my good friends - this 'No Midnight Show' policy is a Carmike decision - NOT a Lucasfilm one. They are simply shifting blame for their own decision on Lucasfilm.

Methinks they have concerns about staff working so late on a weeknight and OT for the projectionists.

Midnight shows have been a longstanding Tradition for Star Wars premieres since Empire in '80 - and I've been to them all.

If 'No Midnight Show' is indeed going to be the policy at Thouroughbred - can we find another theater for the line party? This fundraiser will not meet our expectations with a 10AM showing the 16th. Fans will flock to wherever they are going to have a midnight show. Media coverage, TV, radio - the whole gamut of what we experienced for Ep. I at the H-27 will not be realized here.

UPDATE: My brother in Chicago says the suburban theatre he is going to see Clones at told him they WILL have a midnight 12:01 showing on May 16, but they do not have information yet on when those tickets will go on sale.
  17. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    I just called our contact at Carmike's District office. Unfortunately, she is out of town until Monday, so I can not confirm this. I even went higher up and called Carmike Cinemas booking department at their coporate office, but they are out today as well. :( However, if Carmike Cinemas is not going to be showing AOTC by their own choice at 12:01 on May 16th, then I have to relunctantly agree that we should seek an alternative theater. This would split the line-up for sure and minimize not only our sponsorship, but also the amount of funds we can raise. Unfortunately, this is going to cause Mike to have to rework the program cover and the flyers in order to remove Carmike Cinemas & the Thoroughbred from all advertising material. We will basically be starting back at square 1. I will start a poll about this and see what the consensis is. While, I am the City Rep, this is not my decision to make. You all have a say in this, so make sure you post your vote and we will discuss this at our meeting Saturday.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.