main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode II Noticable Foreshadowing

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheDude5000, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDude5000

TheDude5000 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    Besides the obvious foreshadowing of ROTS, there was some stuff I'm not sure many people noticed. I think we can begin to see Mace Windu's distrust of Palpatine in AOTC.
    -In the scene where Padme enters Palps office. A Rodian communicates with Palps in a language other than basic in a hologram. If you look at Mace, he as a look of suspicion on his face. I wonder what exactly that conversation between Palps and the Rodian was about, and why they didnt speak in Basic. In ROTS, it seems Mace is the most suspicious of Palps at first, you can tell by his dialogue/tone after the Battle Of Coruscant toward the Chancellor.

-Near the end of the movie, when Obi-Wan and Anakin are in the Republic Gunship chasing Dooku, Obi-Wan orders a Clone to fire rockets at the Count, while hes on his speeder bike. The clone states that their out of rockets. 2 things about this bug me. First, why would they need rockets to kill him? I'm sure they could of shot him down with the ship's primary fire mode. Also, if you look at the wing on that gunship, you can see that there is in fact, about 5 or 6 rockets on it. TFN lists this as a technical error, but what if it was a Directive 4 (RoboCop) sort of thing, where the clones were not allowed to attack the Sith. I'm sure Palps implemented this just like Directive 4, incase things went south, and he or one of his apprentices were surrounded by clones.

2. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    if you look at Mace, he as a look of suspicion on his face. I wonder what exactly that conversation between Palps and the Rodian was about, and why they didnt speak in Basic. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your DVD not have the conversation subtitled at the bottom of the page?

The guy says something like "your guests have arrived" or something like that, been a while since i saw it, and Palps says "Send them in"

No great mystery.

3. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Mace trusted palpatine in AOTC. He didnt suspect him in any way. That is until the end of the movie when Dooku had put doubt into the Jedi's mind and made them suspect the senate had a sith in its midst.

As the war continued and Palpatine found ways of keeping in power, Mace's suspicion increased. He began to distrust Palpatine.

In AOTC Mace clearly allows and wants Anakin to speak to the Chancellor and use his help in persuading Padme to go off world.

Yet in ROTS Mace clearly distrusts the relationship and isnt happy that they are put together.

-----

As for the missile thing im not really sure, will have to take another look at that. You sure its not just where the missiles fire from instead of the missiles themselves? But if they are indeed there thats a cool idea I guess.

4. TheDude5000

Aug 23, 2005
    No, the Rodian conversation occured while everybody was in the room conversing, and my DVD doesnt have subtitles for what the Rodian is saying. Mace does have a look of distress/uneasiness on his face while he is sitting in front of Palp's desk.

5. Darth_Turkey

Sep 5, 2004
    No, the Rodian conversation occured while everybody was in the room conversing, and my DVD doesnt have subtitles for what the Rodian is saying. Mace does have a look of distress/uneasiness on his face while he is sitting in front of Palp's desk.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean when Palps is sitting at his desk and the hologram pops up and he speaks to it? Thats the only conversation i remember him having, with the guy that looks like Greedo?

If thats the one your talking about then i'm afraid i am right. I have seen the movie enough times to remember. The hologram pops up, Palps says something like "What is it" the hologram speaks in foreign tongue, subtitled with something like "Your guest have arrived" to which palps answers "send them in". I have the movie on Video rather than DVD, but i fail to believe that your DVD copy does'nt contain the translation my video copy does. I cant be dreaming this, i remember seeing it.

If you're refferring to another conversation then apologies, but thats the only one i remember.

6. TheDude5000

Aug 23, 2005
    I'm pretty sure theres no subtitles for that conversation on the DVD, which is weird..

7. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    The first thing the Rodian says is subtitled. The second thing he says is not.
    At least, on the version I've seen.

8. Darth_Turkey

Sep 5, 2004
    I cant be imagining this, i'm dead sure i saw it. Maybe i've just seen it so many times i'm assuming what he says and think i saw subtitles. I'm at work now and cant check, but i'll pop on here tomorrow after checking tonight. I'll of coarse apologise if i'm wrong :0)

Still, even if there are no subtitles, i cant imagine what else could have been said to palps. He's answer is "Send them in", then padame and her aids walk in. I can only assume he is telling palps that the senator from Naboo and her aids have arrived.

Plus, that language spoken, the same as greedo's, seems to be widely recognised. Han Solo has no trouble understanding Greedo in ANH. I would imagine at least one of the Jedi council members in the room would understand it too. Is'nt there a kind of Universal translator or something to help all these alien lifeforms communicate together in senete meetings? Surley they dont all have to learn hundereds of languages.

9. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    There are subtitles when he says "Your honor, the loyalist committee has arrived." But, not the second thing he says.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The subtitles for a SW DVD are generated by the player. Sounds to me like you don't have your subtitles set properly.

As for the "We're out of rockets sir" line, we have a thread about that.

11. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    There's some noticeable foreshadowing when Anakin and Obi Wan go into the cantina and Obi Wan says "Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?"

A large portion of my respect for Lucas died with the utterance of that line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.