main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Episode II: Reviews By Fans

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by bobafett81, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobafett81

bobafett81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    Bobafett has all the HATRED for the Jedis man!

The way he shouted Kill them! Kill Them on Slave 01 was creepy! (jango's death will spur that even worse!)

And noticed the very very last scene when Anakin put his robotic arms around Padme as they gazed across the Naboo Lake... with 3-PO and R2 beside them??? Isn't it a shot by shot replica of the ending of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK... even the way 3-PO placed his hands on top of R2 is exactly the SAME!!!!

Cool man!

2. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    One of my most favourite parts has got to be when Obi-wan says to Anakin, "you'll be the death of me"... or something to that effect anyways..... man, it is just too much for me - haha! :D

BTW, I think the love story between Anakin and Padme is rather strained and comes across as almost artificial.
    But I must say that a "whiny" Anakin is actually quite in character, 'cos then we get to see where Luke also gets his "whininess" from - haha! :)

But yeah, I think it's hard to believe that they are really in love with each other to the point where they actually become parents to Luke and Leia.
    Heck, if you ask me, it's gonna take a lot more than just saying that they die a little every day to make them a convincing couple... or maybe it's just me being a little cynical based on my own experiences.

** things that make u go...hmmm **

3. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    As for Anakin looking at Padme just a wee bit too long... I think that was fully intended to make the scene seem all that more strained and awkward, and to make us feel what both these characters are feeling.
    So if you felt awkward or weird when you watched that scene, then it's kudos to Lucas, 'cos I believe that's what he intended for that particular scene.

You know what??
    Now that I think of it again, perhaps Lucas handled the love story pretty well after all! :)

You see, Anakin and Padme are supposed to be having this forbidden love, because Jedi are not supposed to have romantic attachments like that, right?
    So we are meant to feel like their love is wrong, or strange, or weird, or awkward in some way.
    So maybe George handled the love story pretty well after all, if that was how he meant to show it to his audiences in the first place.

After all, when you take a step back and look at the big picture the way it is played across all 5 movies to date, Anakin and Padme are not supposed to have this fairy tale love story.
    If you recall, in ROTJ, Leia remembers that her mother was beautiful and kind, but also sad, so Anakin and Padme are really not meant to be the fairy tale couple that lives happily ever after.

In fact, I think that their love story is gonna be a very sad and difficult one, their love will not be an easy kind of love, it will definitely NOT be a smooth road for the 2 of them, and we already know that.
    After all, how happy can a wife and mother be if her 2 kids had to be hidden away from their own father?!??

Hmmm... kinda makes you think, doesn't it??
    Well, if nothing else, it certainly isn't your conventional romance/love story!

4. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    For Ep 3, I wonder how Anakin/Vader not know Padme is pregnant. Could he had miscalculated how pregnant Padme is? Or did he think she died?

I know, lah; after seeing a day before documentary on how Humans conceive a kid, the likeliness of a successful pregnancy is like 4 in 10 successful fertilized egg. But still, I wonder . . . . :D

5. GED_EYE_GUY

GED_EYE_GUY Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    Hmmm, I too am starting to think GL handled the love scenes well. That was a good analysis by Jean and something I certainly will be thinking about when I watch AOTC again.

What made the love story contrived for me was my pre-conceived notion of Padme the no-nonsense senator. I went in thinking: "Here's this strong willed character who just remembers Anakin as that little boy on Tatooine". During the *little* argument with Obi when they disagree on their assignment to investigate or hunt down the assasin, it painted Ani as this Bad Boy. And or course, the whiny scenes further made me wonder "what do you see in that guy?" Then when Ani starts to pine for her, it looks like she's trying to keep a professional distance from him. So by the time they kiss, I can't get past how she allowed him to go that far.

What I'm realizing now is that I'm not in her character, but in mine. Maybe she likes his take charge attitude. Also, she's in politics to help pple, and she feels compelled to help Ani (with his seperation/rescue of his mom, dealing with the rules of the Jedi/Monastic order). The fact that he likes her and they had fond memories of each other a decade ago, could account for a certain level of mutual companionship.

Then again, maybe they're just rushing foolhardy into blind love. On Ani's side, he's got the raging hormones and a monastic lifestyle to contend with, while Padme is being swept up by all this male bravado.

6. Winbros

Winbros Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002

My 2cents worth...

I loved it, the final wait was worth it (definitely more than TPM, but as I've always said, TPM sets the backdrop for Anakin's angst, etc, etc....)

I think Hayden did an EXCELLENT job, better than a certain Titanic star (shudder)... He portrayed the frustrations of a Jedi learner who started his training late, was so full of anger and guilt and longing and basically couldn't control his desire to do good vs his own knowledge of his greatness (high midiclorin count etc etc)

The love story/scenes were well spliced in, teasing him and making him long for her more and more, yet having to back off, and then she drops a bombshell on him later on....

My theory on him not sensing Luke/Leia... maybe when EP3 happens and they separate (or when she realises he's lost it), she's just at the beginning stages, then he'd probably not be able to sense it yet, and she sure as h*ll won't tell him.

SPOILERS BELOW

Overall, I love the movie, its gonna be tough ranking it amongst the best. And I think for all the critics who blasted the more and more CGI effects, hey come on, Lucas did what he did for the OT with what he could (models, stop-action animation if that's what its called etc), now he's doing the same thing with what he has for NT, only the technology has improved for him to do more and give us visual delight, and people blast him for it?? Come on..... :)

Thats it for now, sorry for the long post.

MtFbwY

7. GED_EYE_GUY

GED_EYE_GUY Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    Here's a thought about how Luke/Leia are not discovered by their dad. Maybe Yoda, being the shortest, most powerful jedi around, is able to Force Cloak their whereabouts. You might ask then, why isn't he cloaking the other jedi's who will be hunted down by vader? Well, Luke/Leia are just more important and are the 'only hope' to go toe to toe with vader.

That would explain why Yoda chose swampy degoba (sp?) so he could spend the time meditating, keeping tabs on vader, luke and leia.

And Luke would be way more powereful than his father because his Jedi training starts so much later, and lasts for a much shorter duration than anakins, and in the end, Luke is able to keep himself from being seduced by the Dark.

Except, with Leia, the Force was not all that strong with her so she didn't pose a threat to vader in terms of Force. However, her political standings were the threat, so in that way, she was still a key figure to protect.

8. NodNarbOen

NodNarbOen Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 20, 2002
    Well, since everybody gave their 2 cents.. here's mine: :)

I feel that Lucas deserved to be praised for this. It really brought me back to the universe that we all know, but also gave me a sensational feeling that the OT gave me..
    Hayden as anakin was perfect... although I was a bit worried at first that the shoes are going to be too big for him.. but he's acting was amazing... In fact, I felt that the acting was pretty good :D This movie is defininately good enough to be a stand alone one.. but if you were to look at episode one and link them up, the whole picture really gets clear... Anakin from a innocent young boy slowly falls towards the dark side only because he lost the love from his mother and when his mum died, his love had to be replaced and so got Padme's.... And when you take a step back and look at the OTs... you'll be even more impressed with what Lucas had done...

Mr Lucas, I salute you. :)

9. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, for one, I think Hayden did the best acting in the movie, other than perhaps Christopher Lee. His expressions were clear and they looked pretty genuine. That's pretty hard to do ;)

AOTC's CGI is definitely unrivaled at the moment. Not LOTR, Spiderman or Harry Potter came close to what was achieved. The feeling I got when I watched it on saturday was like watching TPM for the first time when we've been watching the OT for so many years before. :D

The love story is sweet but it isn't the most mushy and romantic type, because I think if it was I would have cried (I have before!). I think the best part was when PAdme said "I truly..deeply..love you." Awwwwww... 8-}

10. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    I agree with Winbros about the CGI effects in AOTC. I think George was doing his best with what technology he had at his fingertips. After all, he has been developing all this technology via his various companies ever since the first trilogy and all throughout his Indiana Jones work as well.

I certainly do not agree with the critics who blasted his use of CGI effects, like The New Paper on 12 May 2002 when they said: "And yet for all the technical and visual wizardry on screen, one is left slightly cold."

But my argument against that remark would be the fact that we must remember that the Prequel Trilogy is taking place during a time that is like the "golden age" of the Old Republic, so of course everything would be cleaner, more civilised, more polished, unlike the way it is in the Original Trilogy.

When we finally get to watch all 6 movies at one go, I believe that we will be able to see what George was really trying to get at.
    And when the characters in the Original Trilogy talk about the good 'ol days of the Old Republic, and when Obi-wan talks about the lightsaber being "an elegant weapon for a more civilised time", then we really know what he's talking about.

So the CGI effects are actually being used in a very appropriate manner!
    I rest my case - hmph!
    Sometimes I think the critics make these comments because they really don't have anything else bad to say about the movie.

11. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    I was just wondering.....
    Does anyone else here find it ironic that Yoda was the one who was leading the Clonetroopers into battle?!??

Makes me wanna think again about the whole duality, mirror aspect of Star Wars as a whole... how the good side mirrors the dark side, and vice versa.

They seem to be just 2 sides of the same coin really, just as there is potential for both good and evil in every one of us.

Hmmmm... going back to Dagobah now to ponder further about AOTC and its place in the 2 trilogies.....

12. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    JediJean - It could be considered to be wrong to lead an army into battle, as what Yoda did. However Jedi still do need to protect themselves and the innocent, so it probably wouldn't be considered to be the dark side[/b]. Anyway, we all know Yoda is good :D

13. DarthMenace

DarthMenace Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    I was at the Charity Premier and saw you guys dressed up as Jedis and Padmes. Great customes!

My thoughts on AOTC (I stayed away from spoilers) :
    1. Why didn't the Queen free Shmi from slavery after what Anakin has done for them in TPM? Where is their gratitude? If a farmer can buy her up, I sure that they would have had no problem buying her release.

2. Didn't they have postage services, email or hologram mail etc :)? In whole 10 years, Anakin does not even call her mum!?

3. The love stoy is ok I guess. When 2 person falls in love, anything goes. But I found that their acting during these scenes were a bit forced.

4. Loved the whole Obi-Jango fight and flight scenes. It brings back good memory of ESB.

5. Did not like the part where Ani and Padme went into the robot factory. She said she wants to negotiate with the aliens (can't remember her exact words) there but the moment the aliens moved from their hives, there was no attempt at negotiation. Immediately the lightsabre was drawn and slice and diced went the aliens. And if I'm not mistaken, she went in un-armed!?

6. Did not like the whole arena scene. It seems that all the Jedi were no match for the robots. Yet, they dared to come and say "the Party's over!". Are the Jedi so reckless and fool-hardy? Didn't they come prepared? And from what I remembered, it seems that they were just constantly deflecting the blasters and never really cut up the robots like in TPM. And didn't really see Mace Windu fight except running and jumping around for a while. His fighting did not look great at all.

7. Loved the Yoda-Dooku fight scenes! The best part of the movie! But did not like the Obi-Dooku, Ani-Dooke fights. It was too short and not very clear as how Obi was injured and Ani's hand chopped off.

8. What would have happened if Dooku had continued the offensive when the pillar was falling on Obi and Ani? One minute he was trying to kill Yoda, Obi and Ani, but when the chance present itself to finish the job, he just take the shuttle and flies away? The story becomes too "convenient" and becomes artificial. Convenient because all three characters are needed in the OT.

9. And how come there was no clone space-ships in space to prevent any escaping trade federation ships? Where did the trade federation ship hide prior to the round control-ship joins up with them?

10.Oh yeah, loved the Coruscant chase, another great scene.

Overall, loved the special effects. 10 out of 10. The story 5 out of 10.

Personal ranking in terms of story : ESB, ANH, ROTJ, AOTC and TPM.

14. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Darth Menace,

1. The Queen did not free Shmi from slavery because she is the Queen of Naboo, not the Queen of Tatooine. Tatooine is run by the Hutts - I guess they could be considered like the Star Wars version of the Mafia??!? Also, Shmi is not the Queen's slave, so she does not own Shmi, and therefore she does not have a right to free her. Watto was Shmi and Anakin's owner. Anakin was freed because Qui-gon bid for him in the Boonta Eve podrace and won his freedom for him. Qui-gon wanted to do the same for Shmi, but he couldn't because Watto didn't agree to it. Hope that answers your question.

2. As for why Anakin didn't contact his mother while he was away training to be a Jedi... well, maybe he wasn't allowed to?? What I do know is that Jedi learners are spotted at a very young age and separated from their families, so I would guess that most of them can't even remember what their parents look like... sad, but true... a Jedi's life isn't an easy one. However, in Anakin's case, he was spotted later than usual, which is probably the reason for his attachment to his mother, and it's probably why he has these problems that he does in Episode 2.

5. OK, Padme in the robot factory, and what she said about negotiations... To be more specific, I believe she said, "aggressive negotiations". This is a reference to what Anakin said earlier, something about Jedis negotiating with their lightsabers, if I remember correctly. She was just speaking to him in his own language, if you get what I mean. Couples in love often have their own private way of speaking to each other that other people might not be able to catch on to that fast. So it was not a direct reference to negotiations as we normally know it, but rather to an all-out lightsaber/blaster fight, so it makes sense that they did not negotiate in the usual way, but with their weapons. If I'm not mistaken, she was armed with a blaster, but I'd have to check again tonite and get back to you - haha! ;)

6. The Arena scene. Well, during the time period of AOTC, there are only 10 thousand Jedi in the Star Wars Universe, and considering the HUGE number of systems and planets there are, of course they would be seriously outnumbered anytime and anywhere! But then, Jedi are not meant to attack, they are guardians, keepers of the peace, meant to defend ONLY. If a Jedi ever initiates an attack, then he is already on his way down the path to the Dark Side. So what the Jedi were doing in AOTC's Arena scene is that they were defending and rescuing, and not so much that they wanted to proactively go to war, because that would mean that they are doing the attacking, and Jedi just don't do that. As for coming prepared, Jedi are well-trained, not only in lightsaber duels, but also in Force-related techniques. Never underestimate the Power of the Force... which is why most of the Universe's inhabitants respect and/or fear the Jedi. The reason they were mostly deflecting is that Jedi fight to defend, and not to attack. If you see them cutting down robots like in TPM, it was only out of defense. After all, the robots attacked them first, right??

7 to 9... OK, will give you a reply on all these fights/battles once I watch the movie again tonite.

15. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    I have another reason for Qn no. 6. Well, the Jedi did destroy alot of stuff in that Arena scene, but after awhile they were just overwhelmed by the robots. For every bot they struck down, a few more came to take its place. The geonosian warriors had some part in it too ;)

7. Those 2 fights were designed to be more of a speculative visionary. The moves are vague but still spectacular. And ILM was trying to make the whole thing "dark"

8. I would say Dooku had a gd chance to kill off everybody in the end, even Yoda, but as to why he didn't, no one really knows. What I feel is that he wasn't looking to kill as many Jedi as he could. He had another mission, which had a higher priority. :)

16. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Darth Menace,

1. As for buying Shmi's release, they didn't have enough valuable goods on them to barter with in the first place. Republican credits were not accepted by Watto, he wanted something more real. So the only way they could get the "real money" for the parts they needed (and for the boy) was to bet on the podraces and to win what they needed. Since Watto did not agree to also include Shmi in the betting, she could not be released. Qui-gon did try to free her as well, but did not succeed.

5. OK, having watched the scene in the robot/droid factory again, the sequence of events is that they landed in a spot that would be well-hidden and they were going to go for a more diplomatic solution. Perhaps they were hoping to discuss things with the aliens/Geonosians and to somehow free Obi-wan. However, they didn't exactly receive the warmest reception, did they? So they had to go to defensive mode and quite literally fight for their lives in the droid factory. I did not notice any weapon on Padme, perhaps because her initial intention was to find a diplomatic solution to the problem. However, when they received such a hostile welcome, it soon turned to what Anakin calls "aggressive negotiations", or "negotiations with a lightsaber". And instead of calmly talking things over to free Obi-wan, they now had to defend themselves aggressively and rescue Obi-wan instead.

7. Obi-wan was injured when Dooku attacked him and got him at the leg and on his upper arm. It was the leg injury that did not allow him to get up and fight again. As for Anakin, I would imagine that his arm got chopped off because his lightsaber skills were lacking. In the beginning of the movie, we hear Obi-wan mentioning something which implies that Anakin does not practice his lightsaber skills as much as he should be. One possibility is that Anakin's arrogant attitude may have allowed him to become too complacent when he was fighting and thereby using the wrong defensive stance (refer to the DK Visual Dictionary to find out more about lightsaber fighting), which resulted in his arm being chopped off. Another possibility is that I noticed he had his arms spread wide when Dooku chopped off his arm. So it was either he used the wrong defensive stance, or he was just too slow in comparison to Dooku. After all, Dooku is a battle-worn Jedi, and he probably has better lightsaber skills, is quicker at handling his weapon, and is more experienced in a fight situation.

8. I suspect that the reason why Dooku just takes the shuttle and flies away is not so much to run, but to hide - this is an echo from earlier on in the movie when Obi-wan and Anakin are chasing Zam Wesell through Coruscant. Just before they enter the nightspot, Obi-wan tells Anakin to be patient and to think, that Zam went in there to hide and not to run. Similarly, at the end of the movie, Dooku flew away not to run, but to hide, so that he could live to fight again another day. Besides, he also had the plans to the Death Star with him, and that is probably more important than just a few Jedi. Dooku has more important things in mind than just one small lightsaber fight, and Darth Sidious/Palpatine aka the Emperor has a larger plan, a larger scheme of things, and Dooku understands exactly what his Master has in mind. There is definitely more to it than it just being a convenient way to ensure that Obi-wan, Yoda and Anakin live, so that they can reappear in Episode 3. Hope that answers your question.

9. I'm not sure I understand the second part of your question here. But here's a possible answer to the first part of your question. In a battle situation, it isn't always easy to keep track of every single thing that is going on, because you are trying to kill your enemies, but at the same time, you are also trying not to get killed yourself. One trade ferderation ship can probably take advantage of all the commotion quite easily and slip away.

17. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Jazz, I agree with what you said about Dooku having another mission, a higher priority. After all, he did have the Death Star plans with him.

I also agree that he wasn't looking to kill as many Jedi as he could, but rather just to provoke the Jedi into getting involved in a full-scale war. Because later on, when he meets up with Darth Sidious, we get the idea that he was there to stir up just enough trouble to get a war started.

I suspect that this is how the Emperor became the Emperor, because he got everyone to trust him and to hand all the power over to him. And since he is the Supreme Chancellor, he would be the one that everyone in the Republic would turn to for leadership in such a crisis situation - how convenient, eh?? And how briiliant he is!! He's been planning this all along. Quite the strategist, the Emperor is - as Yoda would say it! :D

After all, it's what the Sith do best, create chaos by starting a fight, a battle, a war, create disharmony, chaos, confusion, clouding everyone's vision with fear, anger, hatred, and inflicting pain and suffering. Thereby provoking the good person in each one of us to rise to the occasion, in the hope that somewhere along the line, good people will cross that fine line between what is good and what is evil.

We've seen it done before in the Original Trilogy! In ROTJ, when Vader takes Luke to see the Emperor, it's exactly what happens - you could even say that it's the Emperor's "style" - hehheh! ;)

He creates chaos, uses others as pawns in his evil gameplan, but all towards one end. To get Luke to come to him, to turn to the Dark Side, and to join him. And he provokes Luke to action by saying things that really get to him, things that make him want to fight, things that make him want to strike the first blow (which is an attack, and which is something that Jedis don't really do!). If Luke is strong with the Force, he will not let the Emperor get to him like that at all. Unfortunately, he's only human like all of us are, and he fell prey to it. However, he didn't fall all the way, so perhaps he is wiser than his old man, eh?? :D

So I think that we are now seeing exactly how Palpatine gets to be Emperor, and what a brilliant strategist he is in reaching his goals. And one of the things he achieves in Episode 2 is to instigate and provoke the Jedi, he has clouded their vision (or perhaps, as Yoda says, they have clouded their own vision with their own arrogance), and now... begun the Clone Wars have!

18. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    Why did Dooku run away?

Well, he's taking the Death Star plan to Lord Sidious!

And, I read in the official site that some fans speculate Palpatine may be possess by a Sith, and Palpatine is actually a good man, a caring politician... kindda like a werewolf!
    Hehe! :)

19. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Yeah..the story is supposed to go in that direction, after Sidious plots the murder of all the Jedi, he will transform the Republic into the Empire, and use brutality and cruelity to keep everyone together, which also gave birth to the rebels. ;)

20. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    I still cannot believe how the caring and kind Palpatine would turn into the cruel Emperor... it's almost unberable and unbelievable... this grandfather type Chancellor turning into a tyrant???

Noooooo..... This can't be true!!!!!!! :D

21. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Haha, but he does look quite cunning, and looks can be deceiving :D

22. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    The world is still deceived with ornament...

Shakespeare. The Merchant of Venice. :p

Don't blame me, I had Lit today. :D

23. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    I had a physics practical with a spoilt CRO, so unlucky.. [face_plain]

I wanted to take Lit in sec 3, but it was so unpopular for my batch that the school cancelled Lit for that year :_|

24. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Got this somewhere online, and thought it might be of interest:

During the chase scene in Coruscant, Anakin and Obi-wan zip by different billboards with strange writing. The writing is in a style called Aurabesh and corresponds with our own alphabet. Fans with much time on their hands have already begun trying to translate them.

While the end credits scroll along, look for the name "Michael Smith". Mr Smith is credited as "Javva the Hutt." He's not a character in the film; he's the guy who got coffee for the cast and crew.

The ceiling of the dining room at the Lars homestead - which will become Luke Skywalker's future residence - on Tatooine has a pattern similar to the tattoo on the mug of Darth Maul, the bad guy from Phantom Menace.

25. NodNarbOen

NodNarbOen Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 20, 2002
    Hi pple... very long didn't come here liao.. :p sorry abt that.....

That day as I was watching ATOC for my 4th time, I got a shock!~ Wanna know why? In the conveyor belt scene, C3PO fell, was hooked onto a flying droid, and fell onto a conveyor... then he said this:

Where is that R2?? He's always getting himself into trouble....

The thing is, the amount of time he spent on R2 was not long enough for him to make that comment!~ ?[face_plain] Afterall, he just reunited with R2 since TPM for at most a few hours~~!!~~!!~

Any possible explantion?? Or did I juz spotted GL make a mistake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.