main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EPISODE II TITLE IS ........

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthDooku, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Gonk, I love that idea! It's like a supreme inside joke. And like an inside joke, the more people who pick up on it and think it's funny, the more they'll stick to it religiously and spread the word.

I don't know if we can make that happen here, but conceptually, it's a great idea.

"The Clone Wars", it is.

2. Darth_Krustious

Darth_Krustious Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    When Star Wars was fisrt released A New Hope was no where on any of the trailers or posters, It was just Star Wars,

The scroll at the beginning had it but at the time the realse of the movie most people did not pay attention to it. It was not until Empire was released that it was called A New Hope

Lucas did that afterwards with Raiders of the Lost Ark, he changed the name to Indian Jones and the Raders of the Lost Ark

At least he did not change Corvette Summer, to Luke Skywalker and the Summer of Corvettes

3. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    When I first read the words "attack of the clones", I immediately thought "STD". ;) Then I was prompted to think of the, more or less inevitable, jokes other people would make about it (some of which have been made - repeatedly :p - in this thread), and I started to laugh. In fact, I thought I'd never be able to say AOTC (in full) with a straight face. Round about then, I decided I really liked it as a title for Ep.2 and, the more I've thought about it since, the more I like it.

I've been following the discussion in Echo's '? look closer' thread where some people have put forward - more articulately than I could - the idea that the word "attack" doesn't refer only to the intervention of the clones in the arena battle. Of course, we could be wrong about that and I don't plan on losing any sleep over it. I may be spoiled rotten, but I'm not so stupid as to think I know more about Ep.2 than GL does! Some people aren't well suited that "Attack of the Clones" is an obvious B-movie tribute (like previous titles :)), whereas I like it. I'm sure we can agree to disagree about that. The one thing of which I'm confident right now is that GL did not pick out that title with a pin: however cheesy, it will turn out to be highly relevant to the unfolding story in Ep.2 - IMO, of course. ;)

4. Darth_Krustious

Darth_Krustious Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    Star Wars Episode II: CLones In Tights

5. Obi-what

Obi-what Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    Okay people, lets think, if I were George Lucas, what would be my motivation for giving this high profile movie a distainfully bad b-movie title? He's done this before...have we forgotten that "Return of the Jedi" was originally going to be called "Revenge of the Jedi". Then, when fans rejected it since reeking revenge is not the way of the Jedi, there was a media blitz and Star Wars was thrown back into the eye of the public. He's just trying to keep people's attention on the prequels, thats all. No news is bad news. Furthermore, the orignial posters and merchandise with "Revenge of the Jedi" became collectors items thus jacking up their dollar worth. In the mind of a money maker and publicist, this was a great move....and it will be even greater when he changes the title.

6. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I thought the title change with RotJ was because the newest Star Trek movie was called Revenge of Kahn. I could be wrong, I don't actually remember any of the movies coming out.

7. General_Ceel

General_Ceel Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2001
    First off, I love "Attack Of The Clones" as a Star Wars title, with all it's cheesy B-movie/TV serial overtones! At the moment though, I'm just not sure if it's the right title for Ep11.

My reasoning for this is simply because (if the scriptments and spoilers are to be believed) (i) - the clones do not attack our heroes in the film (young Boba Fett accepted) and (ii) - it only refers to a small portion of the film (although I know the clones are central to the plot and play a bigger part in the scheme of the entire film).

"The Phantom Menace" referred to the shadowy Darth Sidious plotting against the good guys. As a title, it described what happened over the duration of the whole movie.

"A New Hope" referred to the emergence of Luke Skywalker as a potential (and actual) Empire-baiter(!) Again, the title referred to what happened over the course of the movie.

"The Empire Strikes Back" referred to the imperial forces retalliating against and hounding, our heroes. Yet again, the title perfectly summed up the action which transpired over the two and a bit hours.

"Return Of The Jedi" referred to the re-emergence of the Jedi, primarily in the form of Luke, secondarily (sic.) as an "order". The title was again true to the contents of the whole film.

"Attack Of The Clones" refers, quite simply, to the arrival of the clones in the arena to aid the Jedi battle the confederacy / federation droids. This does not accurately reflect the main plot of the film.

All the titles thus far have served to detail a backdrop against which all the other plot-arcs and storylines of each of the films (and the saga as a whole) are played out. That is except for AOTC.

The whole clone thread is central to the plot of Ep11 and thus is rightfully deserving of its place in the title. The point is, is that the clones do not attack for the duration of the film - they are an emerging force for most of the film, attacking the bad guys at the end (the fact that they "attack" the bad guys is another point of literary debate).

At this point something like "Enter The Clones" (also harking back to the '50's serials!) would seem more apt.

(Phew! That took some time and a few twists also but I finally got there - I think!)

8. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Attack of the Clones as a title is corny, cheesy, awkward and lame. By God I absolutely love it!

Look at all the people it's pissing off! It's great! Maybe if all the title whiners and "Kill Jar Jar" turds don't go to see it I might actually be able to watch the damn movie in peace.

All will see "Attack of the Clones", in theatres May 22, 2002! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

9. Ronald_McDooku

Ronald_McDooku Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    Does anyone think maybe Lucas is using these gay titles because he would want to steer clear of any ideas posted on the web?

I personally think lots of the fan ideas were way better than what he came up with. But what if he ended up using a title that was the same or close to what was posted on a fan sight?

Anyone remember some guy claimed years after Jedi, that he gave Lucas the idea for Ewoks, then sued him for who knows how much....

Maybe he wants to steer clear of this type of problem or just have a title that nobody would have possibly guessed...

10. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001
    I think Chevy Chase said it best

"Your all F*&$&D in the head"

11. scourge

scourge Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2001
    Or, GL is just gauging fan reaction. If fans hate it too much he may decide to make a slight alteration like he did with "Revenge." Lets wait and see. GL may just be testing the waters or he may actually be totally out of touch with the fanbase. Lets wait and see.

Scourge

12. ...and justice for MAUL

...and justice for MAUL Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2000
    thankfully Lucas is more in touch with SW than most of us here.

Can you imagine if he used one of those el lamo fan titles instead?

A Bright Darkness
    The Love of a Jedi
    A Dark Romance
    Rise of the Empire

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

13. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001
    Actually, I kind of like Rise of AN Empire.

I still hate AOTC

14. gupta-veSa

gupta-veSa Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    i wonder if an "ask the jedi council" question on the OS would answer a lot of these concerns....

15. ...and justice for MAUL

...and justice for MAUL Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2000
    dude, there ain't no Empire in EPII.

16. Texas_Jedi

Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 1999
    I love the title AOTC. Guys do this. I am watching trailer B of TPM as I'm writing this post. And it just dawned on me how serious TPM trailer looks. I mean it gave the impression that the movie might be kinda dark. Lucas and McCallum themselves said EII is certainly dark. It really just dawned on me ATTACK OF THE CLONES can be a wonderful title if the movie is marketed right. Sitting here looking at trailer B I'm at the end of it when Yoda says only 2 their are a master and an apprentice. Then all hell breaks loose. I can see the trailer for AOTC much like TPM. Yoda says some noble phrase then all hell breaks loose and it shows Mace battling the reek and jango, Obi Wan battling Jango in the rain, Anikan twirling his lightsaber unconsciously fast cutting down droids, and near the end of the trailer the camera zooms in on Dooku's menacing face he says something evil, "You may cause much bloodshed young Jedi, but you won't escape", then it shows hundreds of Jedi in the arena igniting lightsabers, and the screen explodes coming right in your face!!!!! STAR WARS EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES. If its done right YOU WILL BEGIN TO LOVE THE TITLE. Go back and look at trailer B and you'll get a feel for what I'm talking about!!!!! I LOVE THE TITLE!!! I'll love it more if Lucas has in mind what I think he does!!!!!!!!!!!

17. gupta-veSa

gupta-veSa Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    yes, i too believe that the marketing for this movie can make all the difference in the world. depending what they do AOTC can sound like a lame B movie or a really cool dark chapter of the saga.

18. scourge

scourge Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2001
    wrong! I may like the movie, but I will neve like the title.

Scourge

19. AgonyEngine

AgonyEngine Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 13, 2001
    Personally I like the title because it's weird and corny.

But in the real world it WILL be mocked and made fun of.

Geogre is making Star Wars sound like a joke.

He's so rich and omni present he has now officially become an eccentric...

Why couldn't we have a title that all the hardcore fans and general movie audience could get behind?

Lucas has made his love of oldtime SCI-FI a arrogent mistake that will forever marr his once promising prequel trilogy.

This title is the only title that does NOT make sense. Don't reach with explanations for your hero Geogre... Try to live in reality for a moment. It SUCKS!!!

I work with kids and they all LOL'd when I told them the title. NOT ONE liked it.

George has imploded the saga....

Don't make excuses for the arrogent rich fool.

20. Holocron_Collector

Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2001
    Yes, George IS an arrogant and rich. And he really doesn't give a crap what the public thinks of the movies. He has said before, Episodes II and III will be the rest of the story he needs to tell. Whether anyone likes them or not. They will be dark and will NOT appeal to the common denominator of mass society. He EXPECTS this! They are HIS movies!

And I agree completely. I for one am counting on this movie not doing well at the box office! That way I can see it with real SW fans, rather than 12 year old brats and 16 year olds who cant shut up.

Who cares if Ep II is a huge money maker that the public will devour and will restore popularity and general acceptance of the Star Wars saga?! Who friggin cares! Its about a STORY, not money.

21. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I haven't read more than the first page of this thread, but my question is: What the hell? It's an OK title if the clones were the bad guys, but it's like calling Episode 1 "Attack of the Gungans". It makes no sense.

22. molerocket

molerocket Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    'Attack of the Clones' is better than 'The Clone Wars', because the latter is grammatically passive, while the former is active. Really, though, I like AotC quite a bit--not only because I think Lucas knows what he's doing, but because, what the hell, look at "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of the Jedi"- both simplistic, kind of retro even. I think the new title is very much in the vein of these old ones.
    More importantly, though, I think we should reserve judgement until we see the trailers and the movie.

23. EmBracEofEViL

EmBracEofEViL Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    cheesy 70's movie about aliens; that just about sums it up..

24. Garth__Nader

Garth__Nader Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    RETURN of the JEDI
    ATTACK of the CLONES
    Whats the difference? Only 2 words. Why is the first title better than the second? Its not. Both titles are the same to me. Who cares? As much as you feel its yours, no one but GL really owns Star Wars anyway.
    If he had named it "The Clones Attack" would that sound more like "The Empire Strikes Back" for you? Get over it and just enjoy the movies.
    Understand that if you're in your late 20's like me it doesn't matter what they do because you are viewing them as an adult now. If you saw "A New Hope" (yeah thats a MUCH better title than the new one) for the first time now would you think the script was any good? Would you find problems with the plot? Would the acting seem a little cheesy to you? I loved Star Wars as much as any other kid growing up in the 70's and 80's but now I have better things to do with my life than circulate a petition against the new title. Get a life.

25. Texas_Jedi

Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 1999
    The problem with you guys is that SI has you so brainwashed you think you know the plot and the name makes no sense!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW THE PLOT!!!!! Nobody here does!!!! The title will work great if the movie is dark and serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.