main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III Bridge Book

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cheebo86, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    I hear there is a episode III book to bridge Epi II & III coming out, is this true? If so who is writing it and when is it out? Thank you

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    My young Padawan. There are more than one bridge book, in fact there are about five. :)

June ('04) - The Clone Wars: The Cestus Deception - Steven Barnes
    July ('04) - The Clone Wars: Medstar I: Battle Surgeons - Steve Perry & Michael Reaves
    October ('04) - The Clone Wars: Medstar II: Healer - Steve Perry & Michael Reaves
    November ('05) - The Clone Wars: Jedi Trial - David Sherman & Dan Cragg
    November ('05) - Untitled Outbound Flight Project Novel - Timothy Zahn

3. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    or perhaps the query is about a specific 'bridge' book and not a clone wars series novel... such as Rogue Planet was between Ep1 and Ep2... although having a bridge book that is not a clone wars book would be odd, considering there is already a lot going on in the clone wars that the heroes would need some other adventure...

i forget... will there be a ep3 lead-in book (such as TAS was for ep2, and CoD was for Ep1)

4. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    Thank you,so the Zahn book is Clone Wars? Interesting.

5. Darth_Arthas

Darth_Arthas Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    "November ('05) - Untitled Outbound Flight Project Novel - Timothy Zahn"

That's actually a pre-AOTC novel...

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A "bridge novel" is not quite the right term, but I don't know what other term to use. The Approaching Storm was a "bridge novel" because it immediately preceded AotC; the Episode III "bridge novel" will immediately precede Episode III. Rogue Planet was not a "bridge novel," I believe.

7. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I belive that RP was written with the sole purpose of backing up the Yuuzahn Vong. Since it was said that the Yuuzhan Vong were looking at the galaxy for a long time, it was necessary that there be a book to show that that was true.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

[b]or perhaps the query is about a specific 'bridge' book and not a clone wars series novel... such as Rogue Planet was between Ep1 and Ep2... although having a bridge book that is not a clone wars book would be odd, considering there is already a lot going on in the clone wars that the heroes would need some other adventure...[/b][hr][/blockquote]Perhaps; then again, perhaps not.

Given that so much effort and resources have been poured into the Clone Wars series already, it seems unlikely that LFL and the publishers would want to do something completely different with the same characters in the exact same timeframe; [i][b]particularly[/b][/i] when the immediate pre-[i]Episode III[/i] period is being reputed as one of the most "intense" on the entire timeline.

9. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    According to the TFN release schedule, there is a bridge novel coming out in Feb '05 by Jim Luceno.

10. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    True, he WAS hinting rather madly around the time of the Stover-novelization pronunciamento that he was/is working on *something* Episode III-related (having read the script, saith he), so this could very well be it.

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "I belive that RP was written with the sole purpose of backing up the Yuuzahn Vong. Since it was said that the Yuuzhan Vong were looking at the galaxy for a long time, it was necessary that there be a book to show that that was true."

Actually IIRC, Bear said in an interview that he just brought in the NJO link into the story because he was asked to do it by LFL. However it wasn't the main reason for the story...

At the time of the book's release, the book stand in some stores actually advertised it as "Star Wars episode 1.5", I.E. a bridge novel of what happened after the movie...

12. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    "November ('05) - Untitled Outbound Flight Project Novel - Timothy Zahn"

That's actually a pre-AOTC novel

Actually, isn't it post-ROTJ? Because Luke and Mara are the main characters. I thought it was supposed to be just prior to the NJO.

13. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Don't forget the Boba Fett books as "bridges" between Episode II and III

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Spacehunter- you are thinking about Survivor's Quest, which is also by Zahn, which comes out in February which deals with Luke and Mara pre-NJO discovering the remains of the OBFP.

Zahn has another book set post-TPM, pre-AOTC that actually tells of the OBFP itself.

In a way, the two books are a new duology...or can be looked at as the bookends to the other 5 Zahn novels.

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Actually, isn't it post-ROTJ? Because Luke and Mara are the main characters. I thought it was supposed to be just prior to the NJO.

Zahn is doing a duology with the two books being set years apart. The first one to come out is supposed to be a post RoTJ book, the second one is the Outbound Flight Project book. At least that was the order the last I'd heard.

Also, Outbound Flight Project is supposed to be sometime either just slightly before TPM-post CoD or just after TPM but before AotC.

16. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Ah, okay. I hadn't heard about the other book, just the Luke/Mara one. Thanks for the info. :)

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, to all who said that the Zahn book is not a tie-in to EP3, that is correct. However, I see no reason why all of the upcoming PT books to date can't be EP3 tie-ins. There may very well be so pertinant information relative to EP3 in that book, which would make it a valid tie-in book.

Meh, so shoot me. :p

kthxbye.

18. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    The Bridge novel is Jedi Trial, with Anakin Skywalker as the main character.

19. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    . . . or can be looked at as the bookends to the other 5 Zahn novels.

Wait a minute, I just noticed that says "5" Zahn novels. I know TTT (and I know this may be a stupid question), so what are the other two?

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Hand of Thrawn Duology.

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000

Also, Outbound Flight Project is supposed to be sometime either just slightly before TPM-post CoD or just after TPM but before AotC.[/b][hr][/blockquote]According to LFL, though, the flight left the galaxy (or rather, [i]attempted[/i] to) during the year following the Battle of Naboo. [face_happy]

[b][blockquote][hr]The Bridge novel is Jedi Trial, with Anakin Skywalker as the main character.[/b][hr][/blockquote]Technically, you're probably spot-on right with that -- [i]Jedi Trial[/i] does take place quite close to the timeframe of [i]Episode III[/i], circa Month 30 after Geonosis.

But it also seems right now that James Luceno's untitled book is poised to fall immediately before the movie itself (closer to Month 36 or thereabouts), much as [i]The Approaching Storm[/i] did. So, in that sense, *both* could be considered to be "bridging" works (and presumably also whichever new story Dark Horse comes up with to replace their now-scuttled lead-in series; which, for Ghu's sake, they'd bluidie welle better).

22. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Hand of Thrawn Duology.

Yikes! I don't think I had even heard of these. How embarrasing. [face_blush] What are the titles and when did they come out? (I actually haven't read much new EU in the last few years.) [face_shocked]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hand of Thrawn duology is made up of Specter of the Past & Vision of the Future. They came out in 1998 I believe.

>> The Bridge novel is Jedi Trial, with Anakin Skywalker as the main character.<<

While technically almost any Clone Wars novel could be considered as a bridge novel, there is actually an as-yet-untitled book that will be a hardcover which is referred to as "the bridge novel" ala what The Approaching Storm represented.

Jedi Trial is not the bridge novel.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hate the term "bridge novel," because "bridge novels" are more like preludes.(Cloak of Deception for TPM, though I don't think it's classified as a "bridge novel"; The Approaching Storm for AotC)

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Right, well, that's likely what this "bridge novel" will be- a prelude to EP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.