main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III Duel Compositing Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petyamester

Petyamester Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2005
    Thanks (me too)!
    But why are you using yousendit? Isn't it tiring that you have to upload it every day? Can't you use some other sites, where it stays there?
    Anyway, thanks for the composition(s), i will work on it a little later. Until then, I'm looking forward for some new challenges. Are there any more?

2. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/turn%20around.mov

Me on mustifar.

3. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    That's not bad at all. Just a bit too much lightwrap. Drop the lightwrap opacity to about half that. Also, the falling ash needs to be more red. But then you'll have something looking nice.

4. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    Because 1and1 sucks and I've been out of bandwidth + too lazy to fight with them to reset it...and I don't mind. Just hit upload and go do something else :)

5. _darthvalek_

_darthvalek_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    hey guys, could you upload some ep3 videos again cause they all expired.Put them on www.savefile.com or something lik ethat to last longer.Thanks

6. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I'm haveing trouble with mine. I need something fo these guys to walk on besides something black. Also, I'm haveing a hard time color correcting this footage. This is what I have so far. Sorry its so large, I don't have any compression tools. The only thing I have it Premire, but that just gives me a poor quality clip.

7. Lightsaber_Monster

Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Could someone please upload the footage at a place like 450mb.com where it doesent expire

8. barfblader

barfblader Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2005
    I agree, I had to delete the footage because I needed some space on my computer and I can't find it on the internet any more

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    If Pixel doesn't mind I'll go ahead and toss this up on File Front - here's the link. ;)

10. Lightsaber_Monster

Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks alot DV!

11. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    No, I don't mind. For future reference, whenever I post something publically, I intend for people to share the wealth. So spread away.

12. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Bumpage. I have here, before your eyes, my first major composite in Apple Shake:cool: The background is the same background I used in my AE version (no point in retracking, plus my Shake-tracked background sucked). I also did the contact flashes in AE, as Shake is painful when it comes to time-based tasks.

http://www.filefarmer.com/ncaauwe/tfn_mcc_dmp_shk_web_01.mov

13. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Nicely done Nate! I like the edge detail you were able to save even on Anakin's hair. :D

14. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Thanks DV :D This was the first time I really got something successful out of Primatte. I reall like the hands-on workflow of it. It's not as quick as Keylight, but I managed to touch it up better than my Keylight attempt. Using the same tools in Shake feels quite a bit different than AE. There's still something about the key that I find...odd. It almost looks like a pre-multiplication issue. I've tried the method Gary Jackemuk shows in his Compositing Fundamentals DVD but I didn't notice any difference. I'll keep fiddling with it. Thanks for the comment :D

15. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Very nice, DMP. However, the actors should be a bit more orange-redish. They look kinda pink right now. Other than that, fantastic.

16. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Olaf. The lava BG needs to move a bit. The collection arm needs to move less. The collection arm and lava need to be blurred. There is also still a bit of spill on the actors. The actors look wierd. Did you compress the levels or apply a posterize filter to the that layer? I like the ash.

DMP. Looks pretty good. Needs lightwrap. And the matte edge seems a bit fuzzy. And the ash should be red.

17. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Sorry about the double post.
    This is the 3rd time I've typed this post so sorry about the brevity as well.

Here's my attempt.

There's somthing wrong with the background. Any suggestions?

Are the sabers too blown out?

Pixel did you key the duel footage and throw a blue solid under it, or is that the original plate?

18. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    For some reason every piece of footage data failed when I opened PixelMagic's composition.
    Does it have to do with me using AE 6.5 on Mac, perhaps? If so, wasn't there a YouSendIt link to a Mac version (which has expired, sadly).

19. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    It's probably confused as to where the source files are. If you right-click each file in your library, there's an option someplace in there to redirect it. You can then navigate to what that file is supposed to be and bam. Hope that vague description helps.

20. Carcaridon

Carcaridon Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2003
    Can anyone give a little insight on how to remove the tracker in the shot? I read that it's like rotoscoping the lightsabers, but I'm sure it must be a little different since you're removing and not adding. Someone said set the layer to subtract, rather than add, but subtract is not one of the blending properties in 6.5.

Thank you.

21. Lord_IceMan

Lord_IceMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    i have been reading this thread alot, and some of the stuff i have seen real good. keep it up guys.

i would enter but i dont have the know how or the equipment to do it. oh well

22. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Carcardion

You set the MASK to subtract, this is under your layer properties. Click the little triangle on your video layer and go to masks, and it should be set to add, but you want it to be on subtract.

23. Carcaridon

Oct 13, 2003
    This is starting with the same white solid? I found the "subtract", but I seem to end up with a white solid and a black mask. With the black solid set under, as with the lightsabers, and I set to blend to screen, it still doesn't disappear.

24. Carcaridon

Oct 13, 2003
    Whoa. I get it now. You mask directly on the footage comp. Ahh! That makes sense. Thanks for all the help.

25. mattio

mattio Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2005
    Hey, Guys ive finished doing my mustafar composite. Im very new to Adobe After effects so PLEASE comment on it. I will soon add sound effects but anyway heres my one. Im quite happy with it and like the tracking and the sabers. If I need any improvment please tell me PLEASE COMMENT

Anikan VS Obi On MUSTAFAR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.