main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA EPISODE III DVD EVENT - *DATE CHANGED* NOV. 1, 2005

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    Good news / bad news -

I will be attending the Oct 29 event but will not be able to make the DVD premiere - I just accepted a new position in Los Altos and need to start on 10/28 so I cannot take a day off my second day at work! Eva & I are working on the Padme night gown from ROTS so hopefully it will be ready by the 29th. See you guys soon!

2. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    You sure you can't make it, Gale? I mean, it doesn't start until at least 9 pm...

3. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm going to bring this up at the meeting, but I'll post it here so you all can think about it. Here's a list I made of all positions we need filled for the event. You don't have to stay at one place the whole time, and you can rotate:

1. EMCEE - hosting the event and running the contests, announcing contest, etc. (I'll take this one)

2. RAFFLES - gives out raffle tickets and collects $ (if we have a paid raffle for charity); must have a container for the $, and must buy the actual tickets; if we don't ahve a paid raffle, we'd need a stamp to avoid people getting more than one ticket

3. INFO TABLE - watches the table with the sponsors' and group flyers; answers questions about SFFF, and signs people up for the club

4. CANDIES - hands out the candy to kids (and adults); buys the SW glow-in-the-dark wrapped candies

5. PRIZES - keep an eye on the prize table on stage, and act as my "Vanna White" to hold up prizes before we give them out, and hand them to the winners

6. PHOTOGRAPHER - duh! We need someone who not only can take good candid pics, but also needs to submit them to the Golden Gate Garrison for their events records

7. PROTESTERS - this is for those in Jedi costumes, probably 3 - 5; need to hold protest signs protesting Palpatine/the Empire outside the store for about 30 minutes before the event (Kathy you have 3(?) signs, we could have 2 more

8. SET-UP - if you're available after 5 pm on the 31st, let me know, and I'll see how many people we need to set up the store and stage, etc.

9. FLYERS - need to photocopy SFFF, 501st, and Rebel Legion flyers for the table

10. ORDER 66 - just an idea...make laminated badges for those dressed as Jedi saying "I SURVIVED ORDER 66"; these can be re-used of course for conventions and other events; would need about 20 made

11. BATTLEFRONT DEMO - most likely I'll use the 501st guys to demo the game, since they'll have buckets on their heads!

12. MUSTAFAR PUNCH - buy and serve a mix of orange sherbert and ginger ale to guests; if you have Anakin and Obi-Wan ROTS figures to tape to the side of the punch bowl (which I'll provide), that'd rock!

Like I said, you don't have to restrict yourself to one area (unless you'd prefer that). Just as long as we've got enough coverage! So think about what job(s) you want to do, and please bring the $$$ for the jobs at the meeting. Also, we need extra prizes. So if you have any ROTS-related stuff that you can provide as a prize, please bring it to the meeting.

4. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    I will try ...

5. SWFAN3

SWFAN3 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    No, do or do not. There is no try.

Sorry I could not help it.

Also, I can help on items 8 and 9.

Thank you.

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I have bought candy and a Vader candy holder from Walmart, but I don't think I will have time to make more signs for the event. I'm really down to the wire with making my husband's Han Solo costume. Maybe someone else can volunteer to make others.

- Kay Dee

7. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    So what are these signs supposed to look like? What do you guys want the signs to say? It's not like I don't have free time, I could try making one...not promising a work of art, though...I'd like one saying Legalize Gungan Slave Labor...LOL

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Kathy, could you bring what signs you have (completed or not) to the meeting? I'm sure someone will finish them. As to what the signs should say, let's discuss that at the meeting.

9. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Hey...I would love to help out. Matt, Dale, Robert, Ming, Rachel, Kathy, Brit....I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, But all of you guys and Ladies kick so much ass and go out of your ways, you deserve mad props for making all of these events so special. Just thought I send some love and thanks out there this morning.

10. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    As I said, unfortunatly I won't be able to make this meeting (or I might be able to come to the last part if you don't mind some bugs in the room). So you guys can just assign me whatever jobs you need help with. Kathy and I had experience with the "Vanna White" role at the ROTS premire. lol I also did photography all the way through collage. In addition I can get more candy. I have seen m&ms in addition to the candy bars. I usually get off work around 7:15pm so i could be available anytime after that. If you guys need me right away I can drive to work and figure something out for parking. Otherwise I will probably go home and pick up my car. Let me know what works best.

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    That would be great if you and others can help contribute candy TatooinePadme. I have the vader head for whatever use is deemed fit, and a plain black cauldron for candy.

Not sure yet if I can make the meeting. I have to see how much I get done this week, as I promised my husband I'd have his costume done by Friday the 28th.

- Kay Dee

12. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    I have went to see the Darth Vador buckets with Erick and Britney, they are small. Not much will fit into them ,let along for a kid to stick their hands in there to get the candy out. Not worth the money. And Matt , if you will have your glove on , how do you expect to stick your hand in there to get the candy out with such a small opening? Better off getting a bowl or a busket.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    ^I'm not sticking my hand anywhere, Eva!

14. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Oh you guys, always sticking your hands some place.

15. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    If you need another Jedi protester, I've seen the signs at Comic-Con and could probably come up with something similar to go with my costume...

- Kai

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I saw the one at Party City, and they are small, but I was talking about the ones on StarWarsShop.com. They look larger and they don't have the top of the helmet cut off.

As for them being small, I think the idea is that you're supposed to throw candy into them, not take them out. That's why there seems to be some sort of trap door on the bottom to release the candy, or you could save calories by simply turning it upside down. :)

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    *********************IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT*****************

DUE TO MISCOMMUNICATION ON VIRGIN'S PART, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN REQUESTED TO BE CHANGED TO TUESDAY, NOV. 1ST, FROM 8 am - 12 NOON. SITING SECURITY CONCERNS IN SAN FRANCISCO ON HALLOWEEN NIGHT IN THAT PARTICULAR PART OF THE CITY, AND THE FACT THAT BATTLEFRONT II WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNTIL NOV. 3RD, AS WELL AS THE FACT THAT THE DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DVD CANNOT GUARANTEE A CERTAIN EXPECTED NUMBER OF COPIES TO MEET DEMAND, VIRGIN HAS UNFORTUNATELY DECIDED IT TO BE IN THEIR BEST INTEREST NOT TO HAVE A MIDNIGHT RELEASE.

I'm sooooo sorry everyone! :( I'm going to ask this of you guys, and of the 501st as well, is anyone available to show up in costume on the 1st to provide atmosphere for the lines, take pictures, etc.? I know we can't have any costume contest now, but I'm trying to think of ways to give away our many prizes: 3 from Master Replicas, 13 from Advanced Graphics, and one HUGE one from Sideshow Collectibles.

Maybe we can have a trivia contest still? I don't know. On Saturday, Nov. 5th, the 501st is doing an appearance at Media Play in the Great Mall. Maybe we can give prizes there, or perhaps at another retailer? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've been planning this event since the end of May, and now it's blown up in my face, so please forgive me if just a little ticked off. Time to go to the dark side...

18. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    I have an easy solution to all of this, and as of this post, there is a possibility all is not yet loss: We'll just have the same event at Virgin during normal business hours. Still have the give-aways, the costume contest, etc. I believe they close at 10 or 11pm on weekdays. None of Virgin Employees would have to do any extra work, since we'd be taking over their stage anyway. This would still be a family-friendly alternative to the craziness in the Castro, and it won't cost us, Virgin, or the general public a thing. Or just have it the next day on November 1st instead.

^That was one idea.

A second one I just thought of is that my brother and I have mutual friend that is an events manager for another retail chain, that has stores in San Francisco like Stonestown Mall. If the Virgin deal fall through completely, we'll try and use this contact as a resource and try to have it Holloween Night, as originally planned.

So I ask you members of the SFFF to step up, offer up other solutions, and just to not give up on this event just yet. It's still more than a week away [face_dancing]

We have the prizes, we have the costumers, now it's all about a venue...

++And on one more note, need I remind all of you...this club got together 2 years ago to put an event that was something beautiful, due to dire circumstances, that many people showed up at last minute. And it also took 10 days to plan. [face_praying] [face_thinking]

19. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I just left a message with the regional events coordinator at Borders and am waiting for a reply.

20. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Okay tenative plans or to still do the Virgin but on Nov 1st.

Matt will be updating with more details later.

21. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Just got word from my brother that the GM from the SF Virgin Megastore, that the event CAN happen, but instead on: Tuesday, November 1st. From 7:30p-10:30p . The store closes at 11pm. All aspects of the things we were going to do on Holloween are still approved from Virgin management including: the protests, the costume contests, etc. And we could even possibly promote this as a Katrina relief event, since the store actually accepts donations at the register anyway.

I believe the main issue Virgin Corporate up in Chicago had with their stores open until Midnight on Holloween was a security/staffing issue.

And I know this may sound anti-climatic the day after Holloween...but was'nt it 3 years ago when another grass-roots promotion happened on November 1st for the AOTC IMAX event at Metreon? People still came, and dressed up.[face_mischief] And who knows? Maybe more people will be able to attend this the next day, now that they would not have to take their Kids out for trick or treating...

22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Virgin has told me that Tuesdays being their new release days, that a lot of people are going to be there anyway, especially with this particular title. I've sent a poll to the 501st to see how many members can make it; and yes, Nov. 1st is a special day for me. [face_love]

23. CagedReality

CagedReality Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    I'm there.

24. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Nov 1st is All Saints Day, a very special day in New Orleans where families gather at the cemetaries and party, picnic, take care of the tombs, and celebrate life. It is also the Day of the Dead and the Celtic New Year.

Perhaps it is synchronisity.

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh man, I didn't know about the date change until today :( I spent 20 dollars on tickets for a movie that night - and the movie starts at 8:00. I'm not sure what to do, because I doubt I can get a refund on the tickets and I wanted to see this exclusive one time showing as well.

At the very least I will be downtown since the movie is playing at Metreon. I can drop off your picket signs, bags of candy, Vader head and big black bucket for candy before the movie. I can come by Virgin after the movie is over, but might not be in costume since the Leia buns take me a long time to put on (if I can get faster with it I'll put on my costume at Metreon and come over after the show is over. I don't think the movie is that long).

- Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.