main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III End Credits music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by batvader, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    As we all know, all the SW ''End Credits'' suites begin with a jumpy fanfare that then leads to a fast playing of the main theme and then presentations of the major themes of each film.

However, don't you think that the upbeat fanfare and main theme ''clashes'' with the tone when the finale music is pretty downbeat (e.g. AOTC, TESB). It fits perfect in the ANH and ROTJ endings because they end with a happy tone, but in AOTC in particular, it sounds out of place.

So, does anyone agree that for the first time it would be nice if the End Credits had a different beginning, starting with a more downbeat playing of a theme (in minor) that will blend better with the (expectedly) dark tone of the finale music (whatever that may be)

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    somebody once noticed that the very end of the credits are upbeat fanfare-things in the OT, but quiet fade-out-like things in the PT. Maybe that is enough for Williams.

I don't think and I don't hope that Williams will change the beginning of the end credits.

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    No.

It goes against the episodic nature of the SW films. The use of the Main Theme and Rebel Fanfare right as the end credits begin is the one constants (along with the SW Main Title) that spans all SW films and it wouldn't be the same if Ep III doesn't end in a similar way.

Plus, I think it's fine to end a dark SW film with the Main Title and Rebel Fanfare as there is always hope in the stories of SW, and that is what the "upbeat" end title music represents.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    George Lucas has mentioned that certain musical elements of Star Wars are a set structure that he is stuck to following. The opening titles while the crawl is up then seguing into the actual score is one. The iris out at the end and the beginning of the End Titles with the Rebel fanfare and the Star Wars theme is also set in stone. This will not be deviated from for Episode III, I guarantee it. They will most likely do a downbeat quiet and possibly brooding ending to the End Titles, like TPM and AOTC.

5. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    It's just that on film, it seems weird (after a downbeat ending and morose accompanying music being treated to a cheery fanfare), and on CD it's worse.

On the AOTC CD in particular, you have a 10min+ track of very dark (by StarWars/Williams standards) music, and there are just 1,5 minutes of jumpy upbeat music in the middle. Doesn't this sound weird?

And yeah, I understand that the Main Theme at the beginning MUST be included to set the scene (it's always easy to FF anyway ;) ), but the end credits could be altered a little to fit EP3's tone.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But the ending of AOTC is the wedding which is a somewhat upbeat thing. I think the end credits sound exactly as they should. Episode III will be no different and is said to end with hope anyway....

7. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    That probably depends on personal opinion. The wedding music doesn't sound upbeat. It has a ''yeah, they got married, but what's in store for them?'' and not a ''happily ever after'' feeling. Most reviews about the score said that the love theme is dark and bittersweet anyway, not happy like Han & Leia.

8. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    The beginning of the end titles with the sudden burst of the Star Wars theme always signifies to me, for every SW film, that I just had a fun time watching a movie.

I don't think any of the SW movies are completely dark and dreary as their sole nature. At the heart of each SW film, it is all about having a fun time at the movies.

And that is what the SW theme during the end titles means for me, and why I don't think it should be altered one bit.

9. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I don't think it should be changed. Anything different from the traditional finale music would make that seem out of place.

I also don't think that it clashes with themes at the end of AOTC. All happy and upbeat, but then we see the other side of Anakin. There we get the darker, slowed themes at the end. The Imp. March at the very end is such an important symbol that AOTC is the beginning of Anakin's turn.

I don't think anything should be changed for Ep3.

10. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    I don't think any of the SW movies are completely dark and dreary as their sole nature. At the heart of each SW film, it is all about having a fun time at the movies.

The words ''dark'' and ''dreary'' aren't synonyms. Dark doesn't contradict the word ''fun''. Look around in the EP3 spoiler forum, many members say it will be a very dark film, and they love it for this.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I bet it`ll begin in a slow fashion,and escalate into a loud IM

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Forget about the people in the Ep 3 forums... LUCAS says Episode III will be the darkest film in the saga and that many people might not like it for that reason... :)

Personally I am very much looking forward to it. As for a full out version of the IM in the End Titles, no thanks... we get enough of that in Empire. How about a concert arrangement of the Force theme once and for all?

13. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    I didn't say that the End Credits music should be the Imperial March, I just said that it should be less upbeat than the Rebel Fanfare, whatever theme he might want to use.

The Force theme fits the bill. It's heroic but still serious and contemplative. And yes, a concert arrangement is yet to be done I think.

14. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    In ESB, we get a bittersweet rendition of Han and Leia's theme, then cut to the jaunty fanfare.

Why no complaints about that, eh?

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The fanfare used for the Iris Out will be identical. It fits fine and doesn't bother me at all. It's part of the structure of a Star Wars film. It will be exactly the same for Episode III.

16. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Stri,my thoughts exactly.

17. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    It will be very dark

18. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    We can live with a tilt up instead of a tilt down after the opening crawl (atcually, it was quite cool)
    but changing the buff-didldididldididldi-tatatataaaaaa-taaaaa at the iris-out into something else would just not fit, be a complete shock and... probably, hopefully/ thankfully, won't be done

19. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    buff-didldididldididldi-tatatataaaaaa-taaaaa

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's hilarious when people try to "type-hum" SW music. 8-}

But the funniest part is that I can totally hear the tune, just by reading what TwiLekJedi typed. :D

20. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    [face_laugh]

It's one of the best pieces of music, so it's not that hard to do it right

like DAAAA DAAAA DAAAA DAA DADAAA DAA DADAA

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah the IM is very recognizable. I remember the day before AOTC came out, when I was due to see it that night at midnight, I drove into the parking lot at work with the window down blaring the IM part of Dawn of the Empire. Got a lot of comments on my way in the door. :D

I still think the actual credits after the usual Rebel Fanfare and Main theme should be a somber concert arrangement of the Force theme.

22. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    strilo, I think that could be a good and likely way to do Ep III's end credits suite.

I just don't know what possible new theme could be composed for Ep III, and to make the Force theme the "centerpiece" theme of the film would do nicely, given the movie's potential content.

23. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    I still think the actual credits after the usual Rebel Fanfare and Main theme should be a somber concert arrangement of the Force theme.

And then the new EPIII theme following, maybe (or maybe the new theme first and THEN the Force theme). I just like End Credits with more than one themes (the TESB suite was maybe the most satisfying).

P.S. I hope the Rebel Fanfare occurs in the track in such a way that it's not required wizardry to edit it out for an mp3 ;)

24. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    TPM and RotJ SE are the easiest to edit out the end credits after Augie's Band and VicCeleb, right?
    It must be, because I managed to do that :p

25. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Here's what I envision...

Regular end credits beginning...

flowing into Imperial March....

flowing into Duel of the Fates...

flowing into a new piece, quiet but sad as the music ends.

And I start crying :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.